Flying without a IR Revalidation

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Sizthepilot
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Flying without a IR Revalidation

Unread post by Sizthepilot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Good day everyone,

I've got a question which might seem like an obvious one but trust me after extensive research and calls into the CAA and conversations with flight schools and instructors, I've honestly just received a host of conflicting answers. So I thought I would see if anyone here has an answer with conclusive evidence.

If one has a CPL MECIR and the IR itself needs renewal, can you continue to fly with the license VFR or do a VFR revalidation. I'm asking this because I would love to go do recreational flying as I don't see myself doing any revenue generating flying any time soon or any flying that requires me to use my IR. Due to the time between my IR expiry and me wanting to go flying again I would have to spend a some time in the sim and aircraft just getting proficient again if I were to do an IR revalidation. This is really just a cost saving exercise me wanting to do VFR flying for now.

Hopefully someone has an answer and I hope I put this in the right place.

Thanks in advance.

Sizwe
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 319 times

Re: Flying without a IR Revalidation

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:09 pm

...my answer would be yes but Heisan is your man on what the book says, Justin come in please? :D
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
Sizthepilot
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Slam and Go
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: YBAF
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Slam and Go » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Greetings Sizwe,

I am saddened that flight schools cannot be of more assistance to you. Sign of the times.

Pull out your license for me and have a look on Page 8 (by the page numbers on the bottom) and that will be titled "Expiry Dates"

There will be a component: "Competency CPL(A)" and an expiry date next to it

If that has not yet expired then you can fly Day VFR with no passengers.

You'll need to do your 3 takeoffs and landings (in the same class or type) within the previous 90 days if you would like to carry passengers. Remember tailwheels require a full-stop for each landing.

This is perhaps a good time to chip away at those night hours, considering you are flying on your own dime. This requires 3 takeoffs and landings at night within the previous 90 days to carry passengers. This can be in a simulator but if you haven't flown at night in a while you should go up with an instructor in the real thing.

When it comes time to re-validate your CPL you will have to do it in an aircraft with a variable pitch propeller.... you're probably better off just flying the IFR revalidation in a simulator from a cost perspective... plus you will renew your CPL competency as well.

Keep in mind that the SACAA requires you to fly 3 hours as PIC or 6 hours as co-pilot in the 6 months prior to your re-validation. So perhaps do your 3 takeoffs and landings, grab some friends grab a '$100 burger' somewhere pleasant. I hope you can do more than 3 hours though.

Your local flight school or club will probably require a "check out" before you can hire and fly their aircraft. This is usually circuits and some airwork.

References: CAR 61.5.7 Competency & CAR 91.2.4 Recency

If I am wrong, fear not; this is the internet. The right answer will appear instantly!
These users liked the author Slam and Go for the post (total 3):
Ugly DucklingV5 - LEOSizthepilot
GR III C210 B1900 YDKWYDK
Sizthepilot
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Sizthepilot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you so much!! I owe you an adult drink of your choice!!

Cheers
Slam and Go wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 pm
Greetings Sizwe,

I am saddened that flight schools cannot be of more assistance to you. Sign of the times.

Pull out your license for me and have a look on Page 8 (by the page numbers on the bottom) and that will be titled "Expiry Dates"

There will be a component: "Competency CPL(A)" and an expiry date next to it

If that has not yet expired then you can fly Day VFR with no passengers.

You'll need to do your 3 takeoffs and landings (in the same class or type) within the previous 90 days if you would like to carry passengers. Remember tailwheels require a full-stop for each landing.

This is perhaps a good time to chip away at those night hours, considering you are flying on your own dime. This requires 3 takeoffs and landings at night within the previous 90 days to carry passengers. This can be in a simulator but if you haven't flown at night in a while you should go up with an instructor in the real thing.

When it comes time to re-validate your CPL you will have to do it in an aircraft with a variable pitch propeller.... you're probably better off just flying the IFR revalidation in a simulator from a cost perspective... plus you will renew your CPL competency as well.

Keep in mind that the SACAA requires you to fly 3 hours as PIC or 6 hours as co-pilot in the 6 months prior to your re-validation. So perhaps do your 3 takeoffs and landings, grab some friends grab a '$100 burger' somewhere pleasant. I hope you can do more than 3 hours though.

Your local flight school or club will probably require a "check out" before you can hire and fly their aircraft. This is usually circuits and some airwork.

References: CAR 61.5.7 Competency & CAR 91.2.4 Recency

If I am wrong, fear not; this is the internet. The right answer will appear instantly!

Return to “Instrument Flying”