Why do we need an iPad in the cockpit?

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Xlr8air@gmail.com
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Rand airport
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Why do we need an iPad in the cockpit?

Unread post by Xlr8air@gmail.com » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:55 am

Hello,

As a non IFR pilot, I am trying to understand what I am missing. As the cockpit becomes more digital with the introduction of PFDs and MFDs, why does it appear as if so many pilots are also using iPads and other portable devices in addition to the PFD and MFD.

Is this driven primarily by cost and not having fully upgrade yet to a completely digital panel, or am I missing something else?

I would guess in complex IF work, one does not want a cluttered cockpit....... with reference to multiple different devices in different places.

Thanks
These users liked the author Xlr8air@gmail.com for the post:
EDP
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: Why do we need an iPad in the cockpit?

Unread post by Iceberg » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:16 am

You probably mean something like this:
Panel.jpg
You'll see that I have 2 IFR certified GPS's and an ASPEN PFD in the panel. More than enough? Always room for a little extra.
The iPad has the approach plates available at a tap and is placed nicely in the scan area.
Also as on the picture, it serves as a backup GPS should I have a total electrical failure.
The large detailed display is also great for situational awareness - although decisions and actions are based on the ones in the panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post (total 2):
Ray WRotor kop
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Xlr8air@gmail.com
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Rand airport
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Xlr8air@gmail.com » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 pm

Thanks Karl. Nice panel in the Seneca!

Your pic is a great example. Yes. Do you think that a big MFD would give you sufficient to not use the iPad?
moosp
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by moosp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 am

One of the problems with the fitted systems such as Garmin is that the mapping software is not very comprehensive for Africa, especially for VFR. Many of the VFR waypoints are not included for example, and it can be tricky to plan a flight on the Garmin through South African VFR airspace.

The iPad mapping softwares that are available are mostly very good for SA. I use Sky Demon on an iPad mini for VFR nav, with a GTN650 fitted to keep it legal for IFR. The latter with a Jeppersen database gives you all you need for IFR.

Iceberg, may I ask which software you have on the tablet? It looks very clean and uncluttered.
Cessna Cardinal C177RG
sweptwing
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by sweptwing » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 am

moosp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 am

Iceberg, may I ask which software you have on the tablet? It looks very clean and uncluttered.
That’s Jepp
“For each of them, the most important thing in living was to reach out and touch perfection in that which they most love to do, and that was to fly.” Richard Bach
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 am

sweptwing wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 am
moosp wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 am

That’s Jepp
Correct. I use it like that on an IFR flight, then the plates are also readily available.

If I fly VFR, I use Easy-cockpit. The radar weather downloads on it are great and gives ample warning of weather trouble ahead.
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am

Xlr8air@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 pm
Thanks Karl. Nice panel in the Seneca!

Your pic is a great example. Yes. Do you think that a big MFD would give you sufficient to not use the iPad?
Some of the large MFD like the Garmin 1000, 3000 etc have all the plates etc. available - it does make it easier if you have 2 or more.
In case of an electrical failure they have backup batteries, but the time can be limited.
So a loose independent tablet with GPS capability is always a plus.

I believe in belt, braces and suspenders.
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
moosp
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by moosp » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Many thanks Iceberg. There are many ways to skin this cat and your combination looks a good fit.

I came to GA from the IFR world so I find in VFR it is comforting to have a Jepp plate in front of you, even though I cannot file IFR these days. Your phrase, "situational awareness" sums it up.
Cessna Cardinal C177RG

Return to “Instrument Flying”