Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 63 times

Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi,

I see FAGR has an RNAV approach which was published very recently...dunno how I missed it? Attached)

I'm having some difficulty understanding the final approach which seems to be an angled approach to the runway (VFR). Looks like one has to turn right from 023 deg to 041 to line up with the rwy. However the missed approach is a turn to 049 climbing to 8300' through a gap in the hills. Looks like quite a tricky approach that I's be a bit reticent to attempt in full IF conditions.

I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?

Hop
FAGR_RNAV.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
User avatar
FlyingFinn
Rotating
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:33 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Somerset West
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm

I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?
Evening

if that is a real question you might wish to study South African history, just even superficially Googling for 30 seconds would do the trick :D :D :D :D :D

Markku
User avatar
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 pm

Hi Markku,
OK....got it!
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
User avatar
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7217
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:04 am
Location: FALY
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 am

FlyingFinn wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 pm
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm

I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?
Evening

if that is a real question you might wish to study South African history, just even superficially Googling for 30 seconds would do the trick :D :D :D :D :D

Markku

I never understand these post why not just post the info here :?
These users liked the author Cornell Blok for the post:
piri
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.flynationwidevirtual.com/
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Iceberg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:23 pm

Good for them. Quite a good solution considering the terrain.

I've flown into FAGR and the inbound routing makes a lot of sense. Fly over the town and remain clear of the mountains either side. If you break through, the 20° turn to the right should be quite easy. If you stick to < 135 knots (Easy in most GA aircraft), the circling approach @ 434ft AGL will get you home easily if the wind is from the South.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
User avatar
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:25 pm

The approach looks quite daunting to me. Is there any other non-aligned RNAV approach anywhere in SA?
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
avanhels
Aircraft in Hangar
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by avanhels » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Flew it on Monday with circle app to rwy22 in PC24 - it works perfectly ! Happy to do it bad weather
User avatar
tansg
Left downwind (unmanned)
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:29 pm
Closest Airfield: OMAA
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by tansg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:05 am

avanhels wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm
Flew it on Monday with circle app to rwy22 in PC24 - it works perfectly ! Happy to do it bad weather
I will tell my colleague. He designed it. :)
Trent772B
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Trent772B » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:43 am

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm


I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?

HopFAGR_RNAV.pdf
The ICAO PBN Road Map call for RNP (RNAV) Approaches at all licensed airfields. Obviously this starts with primary airports (FAOR, FACT etc), and then moves to secondary airfields and so on. This airport was just next on the list. Sometimes a strong business case can push a smaller airport up the list, but this is generally done in consultation with all stakeholders involved in the SA PBN Task Team.
B722, B744, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, A359, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6
User avatar
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 144 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:39 am

IIRC FAGR belongs to the Ruperts. They have a farming interests in the area. So funding probably wasn't a hurdle...
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
User avatar
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi Trent,
Great to hear that there’s a plan to create RNAV approaches for all licensed airfields!
You sound knowledgeable on the subject...how does one go about trying to influence the Task Team to get a particular airfield bumped up the list maybe?
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
User avatar
tansg
Left downwind (unmanned)
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:29 pm
Closest Airfield: OMAA
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by tansg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 am

Trent772B wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:43 am
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm


I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?

HopFAGR_RNAV.pdf
The ICAO PBN Road Map call for RNP (RNAV) Approaches at all licensed airfields. Obviously this starts with primary airports (FAOR, FACT etc), and then moves to secondary airfields and so on. This airport was just next on the list. Sometimes a strong business case can push a smaller airport up the list, but this is generally done in consultation with all stakeholders involved in the SA PBN Task Team.
Oh wow I am impressed. The PBN Task Force still exists. I was the founding chair of this task force along with Bod Allison, Trajectory Carl, "CT Sandy" from SAA, Aimless from ATNS, Wim Belgraver from SAX, Oupa Lindvelt from Airlink, Plaasie Laasie from Anglo the DOT twins and few others. If I remember right yourself, Trent772B, Dangerous Dave and few others joined later when most of the politics were over and we could get down to work. Was fun putting one over the lot that thought they could use meeting to force through their will. Never understood why airports with existing ILS approaches had to get RNAV approaches before and airfield like Plett or Ladysmith, but hey thats politics.

You and Dave still involved?
Trent772B
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: HONG KONG
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Graff Reinet (FAGR) New RNAV Approach

Unread post by Trent772B » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm

tansg wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 am
Trent772B wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:43 am
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm


I wonder how Graff Reinet got it right to get an RNAV approach published, when a busy airfield like Plett has been unable to do the same for years?

HopFAGR_RNAV.pdf
The ICAO PBN Road Map call for RNP (RNAV) Approaches at all licensed airfields. Obviously this starts with primary airports (FAOR, FACT etc), and then moves to secondary airfields and so on. This airport was just next on the list. Sometimes a strong business case can push a smaller airport up the list, but this is generally done in consultation with all stakeholders involved in the SA PBN Task Team.
Oh wow I am impressed. The PBN Task Force still exists. I was the founding chair of this task force along with Bod Allison, Trajectory Carl, "CT Sandy" from SAA, Aimless from ATNS, Wim Belgraver from SAX, Oupa Lindvelt from Airlink, Plaasie Laasie from Anglo the DOT twins and few others. If I remember right yourself, Trent772B, Dangerous Dave and few others joined later when most of the politics were over and we could get down to work. Was fun putting one over the lot that thought they could use meeting to force through their will. Never understood why airports with existing ILS approaches had to get RNAV approaches before and airfield like Plett or Ladysmith, but hey thats politics.

You and Dave still involved?
Hi G

I’m sure Dave is. I’m not as I left Spoories in Aug. Not actually sure if it’s still going. Assumed it would be until PBN Road map goals were achieved.

A.S.
B722, B744, A320, A332, A333, A342, A343, A346, A359, Alo3, Oryx, King Air, Beech 1900, T6

Return to “Instrument Flying”