IFR After Hours

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Beluga
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

IFR After Hours

Unread post by Beluga » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I was just paging through the NOTAMs and a question came up. I see that FABL Approach and Tower closes at 1715 (UTC? I presume NOTAMS are all in UTC right?).

Now how does it work if someone needs to fly into FABL IFR after that time? Let's say someone is doing a ferry and has to refuel, or some charter or air ambulance flight has to land there.

Do you just broadcast on the Approach and Tower Frequencies and then fly the VOR/DME or RNAV approach according to the plate?

I see that After Hours fuel can be organised and that the lights can be remote controlled, so you can clearly fly in there at night, but is that VFR only?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything after a quick search.

Thanks!
Airwayfreak
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: IFR After Hours

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:45 am

Beluga wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 pm
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I was just paging through the NOTAMs and a question came up. I see that FABL Approach and Tower closes at 1715 (UTC? I presume NOTAMS are all in UTC right?).

Now how does it work if someone needs to fly into FABL IFR after that time? Let's say someone is doing a ferry and has to refuel, or some charter or air ambulance flight has to land there.

Do you just broadcast on the Approach and Tower Frequencies and then fly the VOR/DME or RNAV approach according to the plate?

I see that After Hours fuel can be organised and that the lights can be remote controlled, so you can clearly fly in there at night, but is that VFR only?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything after a quick search.

Thanks!

IF clearances are issued from FAOR or FACT IIRC
Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the "m" is silent
Iceberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 216 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:27 am

I often fly IFR in and out of Hoedspruit Civil with no one in the tower at military.
Just broadcast intensions and follow proper IF procedures. File an IFR flight plan beforehand.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Beluga
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Beluga » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 am

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
These users liked the author Beluga for the post:
Richard Smit
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 87 times

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:47 pm

I would think that the airport has the same status as any other unmanned airfield once the tower staff have left. So same IF approach procedure as Plettenberg Bay etc. Broadcast your position and intentions and fly the correct IF procedure.
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks

Return to “Instrument Flying”