ATC Handovers into FALA

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

ATC Handovers into FALA

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon May 09, 2016 4:25 pm

On most of my return flights to FALA, I file for the FALA straight-in approach in order to get as much IF currency as possible. Before entering the Jhb TMA I remind area of my request. As I get handed over to Jhb Radar I usually receive a Visual routing for FALA and again have to request the IF approach. Changing ones approach with Radar gets a bit frenetic as these guys are really busy. On the handover to FALA, about 15 nm from the threshold, I find that they are unaware of my presence or routing and by the time this has been clarified I've sometimes passed the 12.1nm TOD point.
So what's going on? Do the various controllers not always communicate with each other or is this the norm?
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
beckers
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Republic of Lanseria
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: ATC Handovers into FALA

Unread post by beckers » Mon May 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Requesting a straigh in approach may lead to the confusion. Rather try request "radar vectors for the final segment of the VOR approach." Then I suggest you reiterate this when handed over to RADAR. As very often the message or request does not get hande on. Or it does but then therealised is a shift change.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: ATC Handovers into FALA

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Mon May 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi beckers, I usually phrase that as "vectors for the VOR Zulu approach"...currently called "VOR01"
Hop
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks

Return to “Instrument Flying”