The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Captain.huzaifa
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by Captain.huzaifa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi guys
Need some help please

1.Does anyone know if i have to purchase exam 11 does it only contain questions or the theory side of it as well and is it good enough for the IR exam?

2.Does anyone know about the Avex IR book and if it is good enought for this exam?

Thanks
Insane
Changing Underwear
Closest Airfield: Nearest gravel strip
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Insane » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Is there a restriction on a VFR com (other than stay out of clouds) like a max distance from base of operations etc?
Last edited by Insane on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never under estimate the power of a small group of stupid people!!
Captain.huzaifa
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Captain.huzaifa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi
Yes there is restrictions
jameSpeirs
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 0

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Guys

I also wrote for the first time today, I got 69%. There were ALOT of met questions and only around 20 procedures questions :cry: If anyone is having doubts about the IR exam- just book it and write it. You have to see it for yourself. It is doable - you'll have to study hard and get a good exam from the system.
Good luck

James
jameSpeirs
Engine Started

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Fri May 26, 2017 3:27 pm

jameSpeirs wrote: I also wrote for the first time today, I got 69%. There were ALOT of met questions and only around 20 procedures questions :cry: If anyone is having doubts about the IR exam- just book it and write it. You have to see it for yourself. It is doable - you'll have to study hard and get a good exam from the system.
Good luck
Wrote for the second time today and got 70% :? What books/websites for procedures have people that have passed studied from?

Good luck
James
Insane
Changing Underwear

Unread post by Insane » Fri May 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Were the questions similar in make up to the last time that you wrote?
jameSpeirs
Engine Started

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Insane wrote:Were the questions similar in make up to the last time that you wrote?
Fairly similar, about 7-8 questions were the same as the last one. But this time I got less met and more IR/Procedures stuff

James
Insane
Changing Underwear

Unread post by Insane » Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Thank James.
Insane
Changing Underwear

Unread post by Insane » Sat May 27, 2017 1:33 pm

It seems that the candidate is writing the comm exams twice. Does the CAA have no confidence That the candidate is being appropriately test the first time?
hlouw
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: George
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by hlouw » Sat May 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Insane wrote:It seems that the candidate is writing the comm exams twice. Does the CAA have no confidence That the candidate is being appropriately test the first time?
Very fustrating especially after completing all the com subjects succesfully to repeat all in a single IR exam again. Huge amount of material to cover. I think that the system is still aligned to the time when you had to study everything and write all exams in 3 days. The approach today is to finish one subject at a time but exams still include other areas. IR definately like this and General Radio as well.
johnsonCJ
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: fala

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

I wrote last week and got 73%... Studied my ass off and wrote again yesterday and got 68%. :evil:

My issue isn't so much the exam itself but the messed up questions! There are questions in the exam were all the answers are wrong or extremely vague and I often found myself trying to choosing between the least incorrect answer!
The other problem of course is the unbelievable number of questions in the exam. There are questions in there that are so random that there is no way you could be prepared for them.

There are a lot of guys emailing CAA and demanding they review this exam because its really <<moderated for foul language>>! I would urge everyone on this thread to do the same.
And there is absolutely no way a PPL is going to write and pass this exam if CPL students with all their subjects can't pass.

In the meantime, I would suggest we all try and remember some of the questions in the exam and post them here so that we can build up a database. Particularly on the random questions.
Werner.B
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: Ellisras
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by Werner.B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi guys,

Anyone that has succeed in this exam?? Also, what study material do you find that works a bit better than the rest?

Regards,

W
These users liked the author Werner.B for the post:
runwayasphalt
ZU-NRC
ZU-CIM
johnsonCJ
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: fala

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Wrote again today and got 74%... the invigilator handed my coaching report to me with a remark form saying there must be something wrong with exam for so many people to fail all the time.

I'll wait and see what happens with the remark. I'm tired of studying and failing so hopefully my 1% will be found in my remark.

To put this into perspective, I've written my cpl subjects twice after they lapsed so I know the material and questions pretty well. For the last 4 weeks I've studying full time, everyday, all day. I've gone through all my notes and about 10,000 questions just to get 74% today....

This exam is seriously impossible!! And I'm extremely frustrated...
jameSpeirs
Engine Started

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 am

johnsonCJ wrote:Wrote again today and got 74%... the invigilator handed my coaching report to me with a remark form saying there must be something wrong with exam for so many people to fail all the time
Literally the worst mark anyone could get. Really sorry to hear. But good luck with the remark.!
I had a look through my coaching report and it looks as if I mainly getting 8168 And procedures questions wrong. What did you study for procedures? Or did you go to any ground school ? It's a lot of work just to self study

James
PTAPILOT
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by PTAPILOT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 pm

johnsonCJ wrote:Wrote again today and got 74%... the invigilator handed my coaching report to me with a remark form saying there must be something wrong with exam for so many people to fail all the time.

I'll wait and see what happens with the remark. I'm tired of studying and failing so hopefully my 1% will be found in my remark.

To put this into perspective, I've written my cpl subjects twice after they lapsed so I know the material and questions pretty well. For the last 4 weeks I've studying full time, everyday, all day. I've gone through all my notes and about 10,000 questions just to get 74% today....

This exam is seriously impossible!! And I'm extremely frustrated...
I got 74% in April..... 7 weeks now, still waiting for my remark score... I feel your pain man....

Return to “Instrument Flying”