IFR-Routing: Vilanculos (FQVL) to Toliary (FMST)?!

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Beech
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: EDLI - Germany
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

IFR-Routing: Vilanculos (FQVL) to Toliary (FMST)?!

Unread post by Josh_Beech » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello everybody and many greetings from Germany.

As already written and presented hier: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=216244
I plan to fly my Beech F33A from Germany to Mauritius in June 2019.
I am very familiar with the IFR and VFR rules in Europe - but Africa is new territory for me.

In Europe, IFR flights are almost exclusively planned in controlled airspace over ATS routes. In reality you almost never fly these routes because you get a lot of directs.
Flight planning and filing take place via APPs and online. There is (almost) no more fax or telephone flight plan filing.

So far as background information.

Now my question:
how do I plan an IFR flight from Vilanculos (FQVL) to Toliary (FMST)?

When I look at this map:
http://www.ais-asecna.org/pdf/enr/6-enr/rdnav_i_mad.pdf

there's no airway in lower airspace that could come anywhere near this (direct) route.

The only airway I could spot leads from Dar Es Salam via Moroni to Madagascar, but that's a mega detour.

So is it possible to open (and fly) an IFR flight plan without an ATS route? Or how does this work in practice in those countries?

I ask myself the same question for an IFR flight from Mombasa to Mozambique. There is no airway that passes the coast of Tanzania - what would the routing be like and what would the flight plan look like?

Thank you and many greetings
Josh
highline
Straight and Level
Been liked: 1 time

Re: IFR-Routing: Vilanculos (FQVL) to Toliary (FMST)?!

Unread post by highline » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:18 am

Go have a look at Skyvector website it is a free subscription flight planning website it will have all the high and low airways.

Jeppesen will also have the necessary info if you subscribe to them.

Both very good for Africa.

IFR in Africa is not an issue only there is very little Radar coverage so best you stick to airways.

Be ready to pay high prices for Avgas in Africa especially up north and make sure you get all the necessary clearances.

You will have a great adventure.Good luck
high fly
Jolley Roger
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Jolley Roger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 pm

You can fly direct routings as well, just add your route coordinates about every 30 minutes to the flightplan,
for example: VL DCT 2216S03733E DCT EROPA DCT 2255S04148E DCT TU

Register at https://file2fly.atns.co.za/aes/login.jsp to file electronically - this is run by the South African company called ATNS, but works in most of Africa most of the time - just double check beforehand that flightplan is on file.

If I may suggest, post your queries directly on the General Aviation Chatter page, more people will see it and probably respond to it.
Last edited by Jolley Roger on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MemyselfandI
Engine full power confirmed
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by MemyselfandI » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:13 pm

You don't have to follow an airway per se...direct from point A to point B is perfectly acceptable as long as it does not infringe any restricted airspace. There may be a requirement in some countries to follow an airway one way and back another one, but that's usually for high density traffic. You will find Africa is very laid back. You may want to check up on your dinghy/life jacket requirements though.

Have fun
Josh_Beech
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: EDLI - Germany
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Josh_Beech » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Thank you guys for your valuable information!!

Yes, we will have dinghies, HF and an Garmin Inreach on Board. Flight planning is done via Garmin Pilot. We also know skyvector, thx.

Permissions will be managed by a company, g.a.s.e, great guys there!!!
Avgas will be expensive, especially in egypt and Sudan, Kenya. Up to 4 Dollar per litre.

Regarding IFR flying: I understood that airways aren't compulsory, right? Does it mean that I can file every coordinate once leaving the SID and ensured not to enter prohibited/restricted areas?

Return to “Instrument Flying”