Airdrome Aeroplanes - WW1 Replicas

Moderator: Moderators

RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves

Re: Rudi’s Fokker E-III ‘Eindecker’ Build

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am

Build the Dream, Live the legend, Fly your Own Fighter!

Good Morning,

It was a busy week, with little to show...custom work and planning and lots learned. Most of the week went into planning the Throttle Cables, Choke Cables, and Brake Cables, and then finding a place that can manufacture them to specification. Here is what I came up with and now it needs to be manufactured. Learned a lot about cabling in the process.

Then I found a nice throttle lever that I will incorporate as soon as I get the above cables.

Then I spent a lot of time researching, planning and finding a place to manufacture a custom exhaust to fit the airframe and engine installation. Learned a lot about exhaust design and manufacture in the process.

Lastly, I completed the oil cooler installation by adding 2 supports for the lower oil cooler bracket. Supporting it only on top might cause vibration and crack problems down the road, so it is imperative to support the lower portion as well. I did not have any scrap stainless tubing to make those extensions, and a new full length of stainless is too expensive and too far to drive to collect...so of to Builders Warehouse Aviation Department I go, and trawling the aisles, I came across stainless cupboard door handles at R22, perfect to repurpose as experimental aviation parts! :mrgreen:

Stainless Cupboard Door Handle:

Repurposed as Oil Cooler Lower Supports:

Lower Oil Cooler supports installed:

I really hope that this week the custom cables can get done and that the exhaust guy can source materials so I can formalise a booking with him. We will see...

Till Next Time,
Groete
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur Kit Builder
WW1 Fokker E-III: viewtopic.php?f=324&t=190292
RV-7: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3239
RV-10: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48930
Fransw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 am

images-2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am

Fransw wrote:images-2.jpeg
:mrgreen: =D>
Amateur Kit Builder
Vliegskaap
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Wingfield

Unread post by Vliegskaap » Mon May 28, 2018 11:32 am

Very nice!
As a matter of interest, who did you settle on manufacturing your exhaust?

Also in process of doing this - went the PVC mockup route where I designed the whole exhaust in PVC on the plane and then took the PVC headers to a custom exhaust place to get manufactured. Still in process though so not sure of outcome yet.
Amat victoria curam
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon May 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Vliegskaap wrote:Very nice!

Also in process of doing this - went the PVC mockup route where I designed the whole exhaust in PVC on the plane and then took the PVC headers to a custom exhaust place to get manufactured. Still in process though so not sure of outcome yet.
Mr. Vliegskaap, Thank you! On the exhaust I am doing it slightly different than you, I am fortunate to have a 2nd hand example that came out of the Savanah/Oribi, that doesn't fit the little fokker, because I turned the gearbox around and fitting the oil cooler in front. By doing online and forum questions & research I have confirmed the critical length of the header pipes from engine flange to 2-1 joiner. Then I have found a friendly motorcycle performance exhaust place that will make a stainless copy of my 2nd hand mild steel muffler and then build the header pipes on the engine and airframe to the critical length I require.

This does mean I will have to trailer "The Little Fokker" airframe and engine attached to his workshop for a couple of days to custom build the header pipes around my actual setup. A Small price to pay in inconvenience to get the exhaust, hopefully, done correctly the first time.

Groete
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon May 28, 2018 3:18 pm

A nice video explanation of exhaust scavenging and the need for correct header pipe lengths for Engine Capacity and Exhaust pipe diameter.
It basically creates a nice vacuum (negative pressure wave) for better scavenging to pull more fresh fuel-air mixture at a certain RPM range.
If you get it wrong it counts against you and lowers the performance of the engine, so hence get the lengths correct.
Amateur Kit Builder
Vliegskaap
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Wingfield

Unread post by Vliegskaap » Mon May 28, 2018 3:54 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:
Vliegskaap wrote:Very nice!

Mr. Vliegskaap, Thank you! On the exhaust I am doing it slightly different than you, I am fortunate to have a 2nd hand example that came out of the Savanah/Oribi, that doesn't fit the little fokker, because I turned the gearbox around and fitting the oil cooler in front. By doing online and forum questions & research I have confirmed the critical length of the header pipes from engine flange to 2-1 joiner. Then I have found a friendly motorcycle performance exhaust place that will make a stainless copy of my 2nd hand mild steel muffler and then build the header pipes on the engine and airframe to the critical length I require.

This does mean I will have to trailer "The Little Fokker" airframe and engine attached to his workshop for a couple of days to custom build the header pipes around my actual setup. A Small price to pay in inconvenience to get the exhaust, hopefully, done correctly the first time.

Groete
Rudi

Ah, the trailer - what a wonderful convenience!
Much better than making PVC mockups and taking them to the exhaust shop, hoping they get it right.
I have a 4-1 merge collector setup I am doing for a performance increase, and getting that bloody header lengths the same, whilst dodging sumps, carburetors, fuel lines etc and that only with a limited number of PVC joint angles, is indeed a frustrating puzzle! (at one stage of utmost frustration I was thinking of measuring the yard of the exhaust place on Google Earth to see if I can perhaps sneak in there with the plane, but sanity prevailed and the PVC puzzle was continued.)
I will see if I can find some pics of the PVC setup when I completed it.
Amat victoria curam
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Good Afternoon,

I got the custom brake (LEFT), choke (CENTER) and throttle (RIGHT) cables back, I am very happy with the job done, perfect to my installation length and lite.

They fit perfectly at the carb side and then a short run directly to the firewall:

Then I used a spare piece of RV10 baffle scrap to re-purpose it and create a throttle lever bracket:

It fits like this around a fuselage tube on the left side of the aircraft. I left the top of the bracket slightly longer because I want to install a throttle lever stop on the carb closed position at idle.

I hope this week the exhaust guy comes through with the raw stainless materials and laser cutting he ordered, so that i can take "The Little Fokker" for the exhaust.

Till next time,
Groete
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Good Evening,

This weekend I fitted the Regulator, Ignition Coils, CDI units and starter relay to the upper firewall, and planning the wiring routing

Wiring Diagram:

Mounted to upper Firewall:

Another view, starting to plan the wire and spark plug lead routing:

Then "The Little Fokker" had to leave the nest for the first time to get the custom exhaust manufactured. Here it is just loaded on a hired flatbed trailer, still had to tie it down.

My little Juke was tasked to tow it 70 km to Pretoria, and at 80km/h on the high-way the other traffic most probably had a couple of choice words for my slow speed, but slowly and safely my baby made it to the exhaust guy.

If all goes well at the exhaust guy, then "The Little Fokker" will be back in the nest by the weekend.

Till next time,
Groete
Rudi
Amateur Kit Builder
Bearcat
20,000 Leagues Above
20,000 Leagues Above
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by Bearcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:11 pm

I wonder whether they will allow you to register it ZU-<moderated> :lol:
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Bearcat wrote:I wonder whether they will allow you to register it ZU-<moderated> :lol:
ZU-<moderated>, I will defintely try, let's hope there is no afrikaans speaking people left at CAA when I go ask for special registration :mrgreen:
Amateur Kit Builder
Bearcat
20,000 Leagues Above
20,000 Leagues Above
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by Bearcat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:
Bearcat wrote:I wonder whether they will allow you to register it ZU-<moderated> :lol:
ZU-<moderated>, I will defintely try, let's hope there is no afrikaans speaking people left at CAA when I go ask for special registration :mrgreen:
Just checked .. at the moment ZU-<moderated> is not allocated to any aircraft ... so you can try your luck :)
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Good Aternoon,

"The Little Fokker" is safe back in the nest, after its 150KM road trip to get a custom exhaust manufactured and installed.

I am very, VERY satisfied with how the exhaust came out.

We managed to tick all my critical design and performance considerations:
1) Stainless for look and durability,
2) Exact Header lengths for exhaust scavenging and performance,
3) Copy of original silencer design,
4) Compact mounting of silencer under engine, out of sight, stream lined and out of drag airflow.
5) Support and hanging of exhaust only on engine and no attachment points to fuselage or engine mount...so the exhaust will move entirely in harmony with engine.
6) It was very cheap...50% the price of a new HKS exhaust. ;-)

Side Angle View:

Front Low view

Head on Front view...imagine an aluminium round open gaping cowl around the engine and exhaust:

Lastly I think the look with the 2 parallel header pipes on the front of the engine came out very funky and odd, exactly what will add to a world war 1 look, feel and appeal, hiding a modern engine behind.

I am very happy, what do you think?

Groete
Rudi

PS: I am going Air Safari to Botswana for 9 days (2 weekends), so don't expect any new updates for 3 weekends ;-)
Amateur Kit Builder
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Unread post by heisan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Looks great. Just remember that the silencer box gets very hot. I see a few rubber pipes which are quite close - should definitely add a deflector plate between the silencer and any heat sensitive parts.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by RudiGreyling » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm

heisan wrote:Looks great. Just remember that the silencer box gets very hot. I see a few rubber pipes which are quite close - should definitely add a deflector plate between the silencer and any heat sensitive parts.
ditto, wilco, still lots a work to be done fire wall fwd...this is how it arrived back from road trip, thought i share so long.
Amateur Kit Builder

Return to “Airdrome Aeroplanes”