Turbine Helicopter hourly operating cost

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

TD
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Turbine Helicopter hourly operating cost

Unread post by TD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm

For a friend - anyone prepared to share a spreadsheet with considerations / factors to develop the hourly cost of running a helicopter. Let’s assume the helicopter is owned by the individual.

Thanks
don't try to outsmart your common sense
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Turbine Helicopter hourly operating cost

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm

TD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
For a friend - anyone prepared to share a spreadsheet with considerations / factors to develop the hourly cost of running a helicopter. Let’s assume the helicopter is owned by the individual.

Thanks
Too broad a question. What type of helicopter, how many hours left on the components, how many hours will the owner fly per year, is it TCA or NTCA etc., etc. :?

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Conklin & DeDecker the way to go.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Hartog,

Won't work if it is NTCA.

Whirly.
TD
Pre-take off checks
Been liked: 0

Unread post by TD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks - its a new Type Certified helicopter.

Conklin & De Decker route to save time.
don't try to outsmart your common sense
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:32 pm

TD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:28 pm
Thanks - its a new Type Certified helicopter.

Conklin & De Decker route to save time.
Great, go for it. :D

Whirly.
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 am

New type certified turbine.....Big or small helicopter.......Brand new or second hand new.........Product support readily available or not,,Make of helicopter.......Helicopter going to work or pleasure...wear and tear. NTCA Alouette II safe and strong. Just done a R 44 saftey course, ummm, dont think I want to fly them any more if there is an Alouette available. Alouette III even better and Lama even better.
Hugo
Tim
Flying to unmanned aerodrome
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Tim » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 am

hugo_visser wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 am
Just done a R 44 saftey course, ummm, dont think I want to fly them any more
What did they tell you in that course that informed your views?
These users liked the author Tim for the post:
Rotor kop
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by hugo_visser » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am

Well Tim,
I am no expert but, on a steep climb and at the top level off with the intention of turning right with your cyclic, little negative g un intentional. happens in a flash, the heli will swing and bank to the right, the tail rotor trust will help and go into a uncontrolled barrel roll. That happened to this, one of 3 survivors that it happened to world wide, instructor. He comes from a military flying background and get the feeling he is a boffin in flying. In that mishap his aerobatic training helped and they landed after mast bumping and running low on main rotor rpm.
Mast bumping and rotor rpm seems to be a constant thing to watch Now for the type of money you pay for such a machine, I think one could do better with an Alouette II, Alouette III, Gazelle.
Maybe some of the boffins can ad to this and their experiences.
Changing the toppic a little,moderaters please move in required.
Then done a ring state vortice at 1500 ft move to the right, there is a name for the movement, an recover with 10 ft drop, forwatd and recover with 100 ft drop good for when close to the ground and need to recover.Vertical auto rotations, to aim for a specific LZ

Hugo.
E816
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by E816 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am

hugo_visser wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 am
Well Tim,
I am no expert but, on a steep climb and at the top level off with the intention of turning right with your cyclic, little negative g un intentional. happens in a flash, the heli will swing and bank to the right, the tail rotor trust will help and go into a uncontrolled barrel roll. That happened to this, one of 3 survivors that it happened to world wide, instructor. He comes from a military flying background and get the feeling he is a boffin in flying. In that mishap his aerobatic training helped and they landed after mast bumping and running low on main rotor rpm.
Mast bumping and rotor rpm seems to be a constant thing to watch Now for the type of money you pay for such a machine, I think one could do better with an Alouette II, Alouette III, Gazelle.
Maybe some of the boffins can ad to this and their experiences.
Hugo.
f4e41b37e17286aefec5afca73574807.jpg
Ignoring a placard is simply a bad idea. If I fly my aircraft over VNE and it breaks up, does that make it an unsafe aircraft?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author E816 for the post (total 2):
Rotor kopTim
RYAN NAVION - ZU-DAB
R44 - ZS-RYM
C210 - ZS-MJA - SOLD :(
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by hugo_visser » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am

I know but it happens.
hugo.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 am

hugo_visser wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am
I know but it happens.
hugo.
Hugo. I have a few hours in R22 and R44. I have flown in all conditions except snow. I fly them in winds up to 40kts (and higher if just flying from point A to B) when most pilots wont even open the hangar doors. My point is that any aircraft has something that you as a pilot has to ensure that you do NOT fly the aircraft outside its envelope, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY DO NOT FLY IT OUTSIDE YOUR PERSONAL ENVELOPE!!!! I will fly a R22 or R44 in any conditions 99% of the time. I have never had a sign of mast bumping because i am always aware of the conditions that start it,and immediately rectify it before it develops. If unsure then slow down (below 70kts) and it is almost then impossible to get mast bumping. It is not a Robinson thing, any 2 blade chopper can get mast bumbing. Check out the old days in cobra and huey choppers....many crashed before they figured out what the problem was. Give me (personally) a R22 or R44 any day for what i do (harsh flying maneuvers and conditions).
These users liked the author Rotor kop for the post (total 2):
Alan RobertsonPinkerel
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by excolonial » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Fair point Rotor Kop, but surely this simply means you are using your superior skills to overcome the limitations of the machine? Would it not be fair to say that the articulated rotor design of the Alo II is safer to fly in these type of conditions?

The Kiwis were wiping themselves out in Robinsons, which in my opinion is a direct result of poor training. The avoidance of mast bumping was hammered into me during training.
These users liked the author excolonial for the post:
Rotor kop
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:30 pm

excolonial wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 pm
Fair point Rotor Kop, but surely this simply means you are using your superior skills to overcome the limitations of the machine? Would it not be fair to say that the articulated rotor design of the Alo II is safer to fly in these type of conditions?

The Kiwis were wiping themselves out in Robinsons, which in my opinion is a direct result of poor training. The avoidance of mast bumping was hammered into me during training.
Yes. That is why i always believe that a pilot should fly within their personal boundries and not necessarily the aircrafts. Pretty much like driving on a windy road through a pass at 120km/hour just because the road sign says that is the limit. By all means drive at 120 if you can handle the car, otherwise drive at a speed you are comfortable with.

With regards to the alo head. Yes i would definitely choose a 3 blade chopper over a 2 blade for what i do with it. However there are currently no competitive sized helicopters like the R44 and R22 currently, apart from that cambri G2 thing but in my opinion is way too expensive to use in the cut throat business am in (Game).
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by excolonial » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks Rotors - makes sense, they are extremely capable machines in the right hands, but seem to me to be very unforgiving of inattention or recklessness. I have had the privilege of flying with Q Smith in R22 - quite remarkable.

I have a helisukkel, and thanks to my training in the R22 it is a cinch to fly. Still very wary of the potential for mast bumping. Interestingly the control harmony in R22 is better in the fore and aft axis than the Helisukkel which is otherwise more docile.

One day when my flying is good enough I will hopefully trade up to an Alo or Gazelle, or down to a bicycle if my financial progress is not good enough.
These users liked the author excolonial for the post:
Rotor kop
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.

Return to “Rotor Wing”