Turbine Helicopter hourly operating cost

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

E816
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Turbine Helicopter hourly operating cost

Unread post by E816 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 am

Rotor kop wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:30 pm
With regards to the alo head. Yes i would definitely choose a 3 blade chopper over a 2 blade for what i do with it. However there are currently no competitive sized helicopters like the R44 and R22 currently, apart from that cambri G2 thing but in my opinion is way too expensive to use in the cut throat business am in (Game).
Getting off topic, but RK, correct me if I'm wrong (because I don't know from first hand experience but have only heard), but isn't the piston engine more suitable than a turbine for game work, do to turbine lag?
RYAN NAVION - ZU-DAB
R44 - ZS-RYM
C210 - ZS-MJA - SOLD :(
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 am

Rotor kop wrote:
With regards to the alo head. Yes i would definitely choose a 3 blade chopper over a 2 blade for what i do with it. However there are currently no competitive sized helicopters like the R44 and R22 currently, apart from that cambri G2 thing but in my opinion is way too expensive to use in the cut throat business am in (Game).
:D now, now, Rotor Kop, we've had this discussion before. The H300 is a perfectly good game helo with 3 blades! :wink: :lol:
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 am

E816 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 am
Rotor kop wrote:
Getting off topic, but RK, correct me if I'm wrong (because I don't know from first hand experience but have only heard), but isn't the piston engine more suitable than a turbine for game work, do to turbine lag?
Yes for sure due to the quick power changes made on a lot of the manouvers. The turbine does not respond quick enough (up or down), whereas the piston is immediate. Rotor overspeeds and underspeed are the problem with turbine. However they do do the job but a piston is preferred.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 am
Rotor kop wrote:
:D now, now, Rotor Kop, we've had this discussion before. The H300 is a perfectly good game helo with 3 blades! :wink: :lol:
My bad. Yes you are 100% correct, the H269/300 is more than capable, but due to personal reasons it is second on my list :twisted:
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:
H300 only has correlator, and no governor or am I talking ze nonsense again? If so I would rather an R22 for any work where constant power changes are required. Although here again I am sure superior skills/experience can mitigate the difference?
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 pm

excolonial wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:
H300 only has correlator, and no governor or am I talking ze nonsense again? If so I would rather an R22 for any work where constant power changes are required. Although here again I am sure superior skills/experience can mitigate the difference?
Yes it does, but you get used to it quickly. I had to fly the R44 last week in howling winds chasing roan antelope without a governor as the pickup sensor in the mag on the ERPM broke.
These users liked the author Rotor kop for the post:
excolonial
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 183 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:23 pm

excolonial wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:
:D Some people would argue that it could even be an advantage 8)

A governor can't anticipate the need for more power. No matter how small it may be there is a lag. The demand input has to be there before it reacts (but it's pretty bloody good for most purposes!). Once you're familiar with other systems (all the B47's I flew - excluding the soloy, of course - has nothing, not even a correlator) you'll find that you instinctively anticipate the need for more power and that makes it easier for the helo to cope with the sort of abrupt changes required in game work.

Ag work, for example, is different and a governor works just fine. The control inputs are much slower and smoother and a governor is brilliant for that.
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post (total 3):
Rotor kopPinkerelexcolonial
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 146 times

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm

None of those that made a comment about turbines have obviously ever flown an Alo II or III.

I have flown the R22, R44, Hughes 300C and both the Alo II and III. While I agree that most turbines would not be ideal for this job, it has nothing to do with turbine lag, as the governor on the II and III is nothing short of spectacular. :D

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Whirly wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm
None of those that made a comment about turbines have obviously ever flown an Alo II or III.

I have flown the R22, R44, Hughes 300C and both the Alo II and III. While I agree that most turbines would not be ideal for this job, it has nothing to do with turbine lag, as the governor on the II and III is nothing short of spectacular. :D

Whirly.
Whirly you have obviously never caught impala with an alo or any turbine :D
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 146 times

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Do they shoot back? :?

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 pm

No not those impala :lol: these ones jump in any direction very fast :twisted:
gerryheli
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: hoedspruit
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by gerryheli » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 am

Rotor kop wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 am
hugo_visser wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am
I know but it happens.
hugo.
Hugo. I have a few hours in R22 and R44. I have flown in all conditions except snow. I fly them in winds up to 40kts (and higher if just flying from point A to B) when most pilots wont even open the hangar doors. My point is that any aircraft has something that you as a pilot has to ensure that you do NOT fly the aircraft outside its envelope, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY DO NOT FLY IT OUTSIDE YOUR PERSONAL ENVELOPE!!!! I will fly a R22 or R44 in any conditions 99% of the time. I have never had a sign of mast bumping because i am always aware of the conditions that start it,and immediately rectify it before it develops. If unsure then slow down (below 70kts) and it is almost then impossible to get mast bumping. It is not a Robinson thing, any 2 blade chopper can get mast bumbing. Check out the old days in cobra and huey choppers....many crashed before they figured out what the problem was. Give me (personally) a R22 or R44 any day for what i do (harsh flying maneuvers and conditions).
Totally agree with you.Well said,I feel exactly the same.
These users liked the author gerryheli for the post:
Rotor kop

Return to “Rotor Wing”