Sad realization

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Daimler
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Sad realization

Unread post by Daimler » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 pm

This morning I had the very rare pleasure of being allowed to be in control of a helicopter for a short while. I managed to hover relatively quietly, land and take off, climb out and fly the helo back home with the instructor's hands closely guarding the controls just in case my brain left me.

I am a fixed wing pilot and have been flying for a few years now. However, I have to say that NOTHING compares to the feeling and experience a helicopter brings. I don't normally have an expressive face, but I was smiling ear to ear.

I learnt a valuable lesson during my flight. What I do is not really flying and that helicopter pilots are in the least way more skilful than fixed wing pilots. I am not blowing smoke up your kind quarters, but it leaves a feeling of disappointment when I realize what do is hardly comparable to what you very lucky few do every day.

Enjoy the magic carpet ride.

From a hugely envious plank driver.
These users liked the author Daimler for the post (total 6):
SlingPilotRotor kopChopper OneNunoCarreiraAlexR44excolonial
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 467 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Sad realization

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:09 am

Morning Daimler. I am glad that you had the experience. And yes you are 100% correct in saying helicopter flying puts a much bigger grin on your face :twisted: =D> I used to fly both, but stopped fixed wing 15 years ago. I miss the fixed wing on long cross country trips as your workload (actual hands on flying) is considerably less and the journey is shorter (although you miss the beautiful sight seeing en route compared to chopper). Me personally think a helicopter is a lot easier to fly than a fixed wing. Once you have mastered the hover then you are pretty much there. You only need practice to perfect it. I LOVE helicopters obviously (Rotor Kop says it all :twisted: ) and often when flying over vast areas enroute to a capture, i say thank you for the priviledge i have of being able to do what i do for a living [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 237 times

Unread post by Whirly » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:34 am

As RK said, welcome to our world of helicopter flying. My name is Whirly and I am an addict, for 38 years now. :lol:

I also flew both but quit fixed wing flying 18 years ago.

I am still saying thank for being anble to enjoy every moment of flying one. I still have a smile on my face every time and it does something for your well being. :D

Now what are you going to do about it? :?

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
Rotor kopAlexR44
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Daimler
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Daimler » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:10 am

Whirly wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:34 am
As RK said, welcome to our world of helicopter flying. My name is Whirly and I am an addict, for 38 years now. :lol:

I also flew both but quit fixed wing flying 18 years ago.

I am still saying thank for being anble to enjoy every moment of flying one. I still have a smile on my face every time and it does something for your well being. :D

Now what are you going to do about it? :?

Whirly.
RK and Whirly,

I got hooked yesterday. The worst part of it is that now I am reading up about helicopter hrs vs fixed wing and if I may carry some over at least. I also realise, as mentioned before, that before flying a helicopter I was under the impression that I was actually a pilot :lol: Not to take away from the flying I have already done, but there isn't a moment where a helicopter doesn't require my attention and that is exciting.

So the debit and credit columns have started making friends and I will do the research about hours and their relevance and how many I would have to do to obtain that wonderful ticket to the magic carpet.

You are truly blessed to walk about to a heli everyday.

Daimler
These users liked the author Daimler for the post:
Rotor kop
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Wait until you fly with someone who wears it and not just fly it. The learning curve never stops. Take my hat of for long line slinging.

Hugo
These users liked the author hugo_visser for the post:
Rotor kop
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Sortof, loosely relevant to the topic at hand 8-[
84331b06-127d-4ead-b060-68e0c4b15713.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 314 times
Been liked: 140 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm

Daimler, I think you are spot on about the relative difficulty of flying a helicopter vs flying a fixed wing. I am recently qualified, and I must say that doing my helicopter license was easily the hardest thing I have ever done. I must also say that the structure of the training was simply excellent. Constant reinforcement as you progress and a fairly constant increment in the difficulty of the exercise with a few notable and sometimes unexpected surges in the difficulty level.

Helicopters do have limitations, mostly related to range and speed(and quite frankly cost!), but the satisfaction of learning to fly one was immense.

In my opinion a reasonable comparison between fixed wing and helicopter is like comparing a car(fw) to a motorcycle(heli).
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Eddybear
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Eddybear » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Somebody mentioned it briefly above, and I must agree - learning to fly a heli is quite challenging, but once you get the hang of it my opinion is that it is actually easier than fixed wing.
For example you can land in any direction, so you dont have to do crosswind landings like a plank is forced to do sometimes.
Also the taxing and clearances at a manned airport is very different for helis and fixed wings.

Having said that, I will never swop heli flying for fixed wing flying, if I have the option.
Kotze101
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Virginia FAVG
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Kotze101 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Eddybear wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:19 pm
For example you can land in any direction,...
Not entirely accurate as landing into the wind gives you the added benefit of transitional lift and also having the wind from the wrong direction can lead to LTE (loss of tailrotor effectiveness). But on a calm day yes you can and you don't have to look for a runway :mrgreen:
Don't worry, I'm from the QUARRY...

Return to “Rotor Wing”