Tough Choice - which one

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

mercywing1
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: cape town international
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Tough Choice - which one

Unread post by mercywing1 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am

Hey guys.
Im 35 and currently have 130 hours TT on Helicopters working towards CPL and recently completed my first 2 CPL subjects.
I do contract work to pay for my license over the last few years and saved up enough to complete it.

Looking at how things are in SA now I was wondering about the following:

I have 2 choices:
1. Spend rest of my money to complete CPL-H in South Africa and hope for the best 8-[ #-o :lol: :roll: :shock: [-o< (mixed feelings haha)
2. Complete CPL-H in Canada and possibly have a better chance at a career there.

Those who are already in the industry... option 1 or option 2 if you were in my shoes??? :roll: :D
It may be a no-brainer but I need to make a informative decision. lol #-o

Your insights will be highly valued and appreciated. =D>
Thanks

Cheers
Dirty Harry
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Dragon Peaks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Tough Choice - which one

Unread post by Dirty Harry » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm

The world wide heli pilot demand is right down now with the oil price + SA was in a bit of a recession going into look down with few new jobs to speak of, now with lock down there have been a lot of lay offs.
If the SA pilot market recovers, it will be maybe 3 to 5 years in my opinion, if ever.

I would recommend FAA first but if you have an in with Canada, go for it.
These users liked the author Dirty Harry for the post (total 2):
mercywing1Rotor kop
Licensed to commit aviation........
CPL (A) + (H)
ZS-RGW Bell Longranger
ZS-CWO Beech 33
ZS-ROX Robinson 44
Brett Tungay
Jason
Drinking Cooldrink at clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Jason » Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

If you have the $$ and can get into Canada, check out these guys below - i don`t know them personally nor have any affiliation but seen and heard good things.

based near Vancouver

https://www.bchelicopters.com/
These users liked the author Jason for the post (total 2):
mercywing1Rotor kop
Zoom Aviation Photography - http://www.zoompixs.co.za
mercywing1
Flight Planning

Unread post by mercywing1 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Dirty Harry wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm
The world wide heli pilot demand is right down now with the oil price + SA was in a bit of a recession going into look down with few new jobs to speak of, now with lock down there have been a lot of lay offs.
If the SA pilot market recovers, it will be maybe 3 to 5 years in my opinion, if ever.

I would recommend FAA first but if you have an in with Canada, go for it.
Thanks so much for your valuable info, its highly appreciated. Really sad whats going on in the industry and everywhere else. Thanks for the input :D
mercywing1
Flight Planning

Unread post by mercywing1 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Jason wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm
If you have the $$ and can get into Canada, check out these guys below - i don`t know them personally nor have any affiliation but seen and heard good things.

based near Vancouver

https://www.bchelicopters.com/
Hey Jason... Thanks for your response, appreciate it. YESS, BC Helicopters are the guys im currently in contact with...Mischa. They have a great youtube channel called PILOT YELLOW, and that was where my search started, and they seem really great. Im awaiting some feedback from them and collectively with all info gained ill hopefully make a well informed decision.

Thanks a tonne. Appreciate it 8)
These users liked the author mercywing1 for the post:
Jason
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 604 times

Unread post by Whirly » Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

What are your chances of getting a job there? What about a work visa, easy to get?

If not, how much will you spend going there and staying there? Could you not fly a few more hours here with that money? :?

Genuine questions. :D

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post:
mercywing1
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
mercywing1
Flight Planning

Unread post by mercywing1 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Whirly wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm
What are your chances of getting a job there? What about a work visa, easy to get?

If not, how much will you spend going there and staying there? Could you not fly a few more hours here with that money? :?

Genuine questions. :D

Whirly.
Hey Whirly...thanks for the questions.

Not sure what the chances are for work...it is said though that, be prepared to do hangar and ground ops work for the first 2 years after qualifying...which i dont have a problem with to climb the ladder... but actually the guarantee is not there.

According to BC Helicopters website FAQ section, to train there you don't need a student or study visa, and can go on a tourist visa for training and after qualifying apply for a work visa with your COMM. (not sure how accurate that is though...still awaiting a reply on them with some more details)

I can absolutely complete my comm here in SA and have saved up the funds over the past 7 years of contract work and my first 2 comm subjects are done. I really want to stay in SA but have to look into the reality of what is happening in SA...hence my question for some good inside info and advice from guys in the industry.

Regarding costs... it will cost more or less 60 000 Canadian dollar (750 000 rand) for the journey... and to complete my COMM in SA I have 70 hours remaining to build... so more or less 380 000 rand for the hour building. I can do any one of the two...I can only choose one though.

Thanks for your time 8) :D
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 263 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 pm

.....trust me, stay and finish in SA, the world is not going to be healthy for at least 18 - 24 months, during which time any employer worth his salt is going to opt for premium staff costing him the pure basics - as the re-hires increase you will have a better change and a comm to your name. Just my opinion. :D
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
mercywing1
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
mercywing1
Flight Planning

Unread post by mercywing1 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:03 pm
.....trust me, stay and finish in SA, the world is not going to be healthy for at least 18 - 24 months, during which time any employer worth his salt is going to opt for premium staff costing him the pure basics - as the re-hires increase you will have a better change and a comm to your name. Just my opinion. :D
Hey V5-LEO... thanks so much for your input, its highly appreciated. Good to know and see that point... makes sense. :)
Appreciate 8)
These users liked the author mercywing1 for the post:
Pilot2020
Arch
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Arch » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm

The elephant in the room is that there isn't any work out there for pilots. Niks. Nada. Your school will be the last to tell you that - they're interested in keeping their doors open with your money. The truth is, the heli market has been broken since the last market crash in 2008. Any hopes of a recovery within the next 5 to ten years have just been smashed. With the currency trading at over 18 to the dollar, things just got worse for SA aviation. Do yourself a favour, before deciding to jump ships - shop around in the job market. See what you can get with a fresh Comm. Hell, see what you can get with a thousand hours - maybe you'll get lucky. Or maybe, like thousands of high-time unemployed pilots worldwide, you'll fall back on plan "B". Just don't believe the spin the flight schools sell, the reality is different.
These users liked the author Arch for the post (total 2):
V5 - LEOmercywing1
mercywing1
Flight Planning

Unread post by mercywing1 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 am

Arch wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm
The elephant in the room is that there isn't any work out there for pilots. Niks. Nada. Your school will be the last to tell you that - they're interested in keeping their doors open with your money. The truth is, the heli market has been broken since the last market crash in 2008. Any hopes of a recovery within the next 5 to ten years have just been smashed. With the currency trading at over 18 to the dollar, things just got worse for SA aviation. Do yourself a favour, before deciding to jump ships - shop around in the job market. See what you can get with a fresh Comm. Hell, see what you can get with a thousand hours - maybe you'll get lucky. Or maybe, like thousands of high-time unemployed pilots worldwide, you'll fall back on plan "B". Just don't believe the spin the flight schools sell, the reality is different.
Hey Arch.
Thanks very much for the honest input, its highly appreciated. A very sad reality it seems. :(
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by hugo_visser » Wed May 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Would an instructors rating not help you more ? Think they would first help their own citizens with employment at the moment. Borders closed ? Follow up more on visas and changing rules due to carona.

Hugo
These users liked the author hugo_visser for the post:
mercywing1

Return to “Rotor Wing”