Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Rotary Wing, Rotor Craft and Helicopter discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Skyhawk7500
Flight Planning
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Skyhawk7500 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Good day..
Holder of CPL IR fixed wing license.
What is the steps towards obtaining Rotorwing?
How is hours recognised for fixed wing towards Heli license?
Wich theory exam to do additionaly?
Can anyone please point out

Thank you..
Peblehead
Reaching altitude
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 pm
Closest Airfield: Foar26ly
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Peblehead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm

Skyhawk7500 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:40 pm
Good day..
Holder of CPL IR fixed wing license.
What is the steps towards obtaining Rotorwing?
How is hours recognised for fixed wing towards Heli license?
Wich theory exam to do additionaly?
Can anyone please point out

Thank you..
50 hours to get your licence no credit, as far as I know, AT&G + principles of flight …then flight test …. Then add 50 hours and with a total of 100 PIC hours you can do a CPL H flight test with a DE
Unsure if you will need to do a minimum of 5 flight hours for your first turbine add on if your already familiar with Turbines CAA could comment ..paying for 5 hours on a turbine is a big expense once you have a turbine rating adding additional ratings is not such a big deal
User avatar
Rotor kop
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Location: Wherever there is good diamond gravels...
Has liked: 1666 times
Been liked: 284 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Peblehead wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Skyhawk7500 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:40 pm
Good day..
Holder of CPL IR fixed wing license.
What is the steps towards obtaining Rotorwing?
How is hours recognised for fixed wing towards Heli license?
Wich theory exam to do additionaly?
Can anyone please point out

Thank you..
50 hours to get your licence no credit, as far as I know, AT&G + principles of flight …then flight test …. Then add 50 hours and with a total of 100 PIC hours you can do a CPL H flight test with a DE
Unsure if you will need to do a minimum of 5 flight hours for your first turbine add on if your already familiar with Turbines CAA could comment ..paying for 5 hours on a turbine is a big expense once you have a turbine rating adding additional ratings is not such a big deal
All the above plus Air Law.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
zoneout
Fuelling up
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:25 am
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by zoneout » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:52 pm

I think there is actually a small credit for PPL. Maybe 15 hours? I was surprised as I didn't see it in the CARs but I did get it: I did less than 50 hours for my PPL. That was 4 years ago. And I did need those three exams. For COM I needed the same IIRC, plus flight planning. Instrument rating: you also get credit. But as you may know IF is far less common with helicopters than with fixed wing, and properly equipped machines also less common.

I also didn't need to do anything special for turbine: but if you are definitely going to get a turbine machine on your licence, why not try and get those hours during your PPL under instruction? You need the hours anyway.
User avatar
Rotor kop
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Location: Wherever there is good diamond gravels...
Has liked: 1666 times
Been liked: 284 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Rotor kop » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:02 pm

zoneout wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:52 pm
I think there is actually a small credit for PPL. Maybe 15 hours? I was surprised as I didn't see it in the CARs but I did get it: I did less than 50 hours for my PPL. That was 4 years ago. And I did need those three exams. For COM I needed the same IIRC, plus flight planning. Instrument rating: you also get credit. But as you may know IF is far less common with helicopters than with fixed wing, and properly equipped machines also less common.

I also didn't need to do anything special for turbine: but if you are definitely going to get a turbine machine on your licence, why not try and get those hours during your PPL under instruction? You need the hours anyway.
Edited...i was always under the impression you had to do 50 hrs helicopter for PPL, no exceptions. I was proven wrong below :oops:
Last edited by Rotor kop on Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
matt8
Priming
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: cape town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by matt8 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 pm

There's always been recognition of other learning/experience for as long as I can remember and you don't have to do the full 50.
Applicable law:

CARS 61.01.9

(9)

(b) A holder of an aeroplane or a helicopter pilot licence, or an equivalent pilot licence in the weight-shift controlled microlight aeroplane, or gyroplane category who wishes to obtain a PPL (A) or PPL (H) may be credited with up to a maximum of 10 hours. The additional 35 hours required must be addressed in a PPL training course which includes—

(i) a minimum of 20 hours dual instruction in the aircraft category for which the licence is sought; and

(ii) a minimum of 15 hours solo flying time, which must include 5 hours cross ...


and regarding examinations:

CATS 61.01.10

(16) Inter-category Examination Credits

(f)

In order to satisfy the theoretical knowledge requirements for a PPL in a different category of aircraft, the holder of an existing PPL CPL or ATPL is required to obtain a pass in the following PPL examinations for the category sought—

(i) Aircraft General;
(ii) Air Law;
(iii) Flight Performance and Planning;
(iv) Principles of Flight.
These users liked the author matt8 for the post:
Rotor kop
User avatar
Pandythepilot
Priming
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 am
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Pandythepilot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 am

Morning, please advise the preferred schools to train within Cape Town, I have fixed-wing PPL already looking to go HPL. Websites are not that clear when doing a search, particularly on cost.
PPL(A)
User avatar
Pandythepilot
Priming
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 am
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Pandythepilot » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Afternoon recently completed HPPL pilots

I need to complete four HPPL exams, (at least some credit for fw PPL), they are PoF, Law, ATG and FP, does anyone have these four pieces of literature that covers the CAA exams adequately available for me to buy or borrow in the Cape Town area over December and January. I am keen to complete these exams before the flying part.

Regards

Mark
PPL(A)
Rotorblade
Mags On
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Fixed wing to Rotorwing..

Unread post by Rotorblade » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Pandythepilot wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:30 pm
Afternoon recently completed HPPL pilots

I need to complete four HPPL exams, (at least some credit for fw PPL), they are PoF, Law, ATG and FP, does anyone have these four pieces of literature that covers the CAA exams adequately available for me to buy or borrow in the Cape Town area over December and January. I am keen to complete these exams before the flying part.

Regards

Mark



Congratulations-

Law: Use Fw ppl book, red cover with blue sticker labelled "new". Learn all the same as fw Law but the "new" (which is old by now) booklet includes a few pages dedicated only to helicopter as a supplement. So, study from front to back

POF and ATG: Wagtendonk only. If you understand Wagtendonk, you are sorted. For both exams, you cover only first half of Wagtendonk as thereafter the focus is on sling ops etc and you will not be examined on that. Precession precession precession and AoA

FP& P: Avex is more than good enough to pass this subject on PPL level. Time is short on exam and you will be on your calculator from start to finish. I know it changes per exam but it felt like a Mass & Balance exam only. Whizzwheel only allowed.

Good luck

Return to “Rotor Wing”