Radar at Rand and Lanseria

Questions for Air Traffic Navigation Services.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 200 times

Radar at Rand and Lanseria

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Was wondering if anyone can advise if the tower at the above airfields has secondary surveillance radar? I was under the impression that Lanseria does but it would appear that Rand does not?
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 286 times

Re: Radar at Rand and Lanseria

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm
Was wondering if anyone can advise if the tower at the above airfields has secondary surveillance radar? I was under the impression that Lanseria does but it would appear that Rand does not?
Its been a while since I was up the tower at FALA, but NO RADAR then...not sure about now
Rand has big wide windows thru which the ATC stares ...only
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 779 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:10 am

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Mrb13676 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 pm
Its been a while since I was up the tower at FALA, but NO RADAR then...not sure about now
Rand has big wide windows thru which the ATC stares ...only
FALA / FAWK have a radar feed from JNB as an aid only AFAIK , not useable for control but only as an information tool.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 200 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks. The reason I was wondering is that yesterday coming into FAGM I had the distinct impression that they had me confused with another aircraft they had told to report on a left downwind for 35 who responded (unchallenged mind you) “report left base 35” after they’d cleared me to join on the left base. His base was much closer than mine and they then asked him to orbit on base after I had offered to let him land in Front of me.

It seemed that they did not in fact have any visual or radar idea of where we were... granted it was late afternoon so maybe the sun was an issue but it was a bit of a dog show and it seemed different from when I was flying at FALA where they seemed to have a very good idea of where everyone was.
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 779 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:54 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:41 am
Thanks. The reason I was wondering is that yesterday coming into FAGM I had the distinct impression that they had me confused with another aircraft they had told to report on a left downwind for 35 who responded (unchallenged mind you) “report left base 35” after they’d cleared me to join on the left base. His base was much closer than mine and they then asked him to orbit on base after I had offered to let him land in Front of me.

It seemed that they did not in fact have any visual or radar idea of where we were... granted it was late afternoon so maybe the sun was an issue but it was a bit of a dog show and it seemed different from when I was flying at FALA where they seemed to have a very good idea of where everyone was.
Nothing surprises me - but yes Rand is pure 'Mk one eyeball"
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯

Return to “ATNS”