ATNS Bursary Scheme details

Questions for Air Traffic Navigation Services.

Moderator: Moderators

Scampy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

ATNS Bursary Scheme details

Unread post by Scampy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone here can give me a approximate on how much you earn on the bursary scheme in the first training part at the college and how long does it last about? Then how much about it moves up to on the 18 month contract. And how much about as a newly qualified ATC about?

I know there use to be a place online that had all these figures, but cant find it anywhere.

I really just want a rough estimate, as I am 25 and have got rid of almost all my financial commitments so that I can do this and need to see if it is possible for me to apply.

Thanking you in advance.
csete
Tripped over wheel chock

Re: ATNS Bursary Scheme details

Unread post by csete » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

are you previously disadvantaged?
drprolific

Unread post by drprolific » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:58 am

Last Friday I received a call from atns regarding my bursary status they told me I'm invited for assessments but they didn't Sent me the details can anyone update me please its agents.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm

drprolific wrote:Last Friday I received a call from atns regarding my bursary status they told me I'm invited for assessments but they didn't Sent me the details can anyone update me please its agents.
If its "agents" you are referring then beware of scams!!
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAOR Johannesburg

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Anyone heard back from ATNS as yet?

Wrote the Personality tests last week which were a bit weird. Haven't had any feedback yet though.
Biting my nails down to the skin waiting for a call/email :shock:

if any of you guys have been through the testing phases, how long does it normally take to get a reply?

Y
Keeping the Centre line
Thndr_strck
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Thndr_strck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Holding thumbs for you
When in doubt...DON'T !!
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks for holding thumbs...still haven't heard back. Apparently training begins 13 May so I'm expecting some kind of feedback in the next week. Well, one can only hope anyway :lol:

Will keep my progress posted on this thread in case anyone out there might be in the same boat.

Cheers
Y
Keeping the Centre line
SuperD
Mags On

Unread post by SuperD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:49 am

There is usually a couple of intakes per year. Between 2 to 6. Hopefully you are on one of them. The only way that you will know if you passed all the test, is when they call you and tell you when you are starting. If you didn't make it, you'll just not hear from them... Don't stop trying though. Keep applying.
Cleared low-level fly-by. Negative speed restrictions!
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the info @SuperD.
Are you part of the ATNS family?

I've been applying for the intake for the past 5 years & this was my 1st callback. I just want a crack at the aptitude tests to guage whether I can cut it as an ATC, or just stick to my hour building & expedite my Comm (still a good 90+ hours away)

Feels like I'm in limbo at the moment...not lekker haha.

Shot for the encouragement ;)
Keeping the Centre line
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Just got a call back to say I've made it through to the next round. Stoked! Longest wait ever.

Writing in durban this friday!
Keeping the Centre line
B206King
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: fael

Requirements

Unread post by B206King » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

Hi all

This is my first post on avcom so please excuse me if I have made an error or two.
Im currently studying for my comm at the moment as helicopter flying is what I have always dreamed about since I was an infant.
Just out of interest sake,what are the requirements for the Bursary scheme?
For example,if you dont have maths,what are the chances of being given a chance to take the tests?
If the chances are slim,would you be able to find a job as ATC if you did your own training at 43 Air school?IE:pay your own way?

Thanks everyone

Dan
We are like cups.Constantly and quietly being filled.The trick is,knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the good stuff run out.-Ray Bradbury
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 am

Howzit Dan

I'm not too sure about what the requirements at 43 are, but ATNS requires maths in order to apply for the ATC bursary.
As taken from their site :

"You must be:
Medically fit 
18 years or older 
Fluent in English with no speech impediments 
Matriculated with Maths and English with a D(HG) or C (SG) symbol or at Level 4 
Driven by a challenge
Prepared to work shifts. "

I'm writing the 2nd round of tests tomorrow & have been told by a controller friend that they test arithmetic, sequencing, spatial reasoning etc. But since you have your PPL(H) I assume, maybe you qualify for a different set of criteria?

Goodluck
Keeping the Centre line
B206King
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: fael

Unread post by B206King » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Jumpseatjunkie

I believe after looking on the atns website that they do require mathematics for the bursary scheme.
However after completing my PPL without any difficulty and possibly paying your own way through the initial training,surely they would definitely consider you,seeing that you've got the training done at 43 plus the bonus of being a pilot,should also make them consider.I would be very transfixed if they were to reject your application on first notice seeing that you don't have mathematics.
Could anyone who has gone through the application process please elaborate on my thoughts about this or anyone working for ATNS?

Much appreciated

Dan
We are like cups.Constantly and quietly being filled.The trick is,knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the good stuff run out.-Ray Bradbury
YusufPatel
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Virginia

Unread post by YusufPatel » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:44 am

Find a way, or fade away =D>
“Aviate – Navigate – Communicate.”
Knowing graciously, that without these 3 major components, it would be far better to arrive late in this world than earlier in the next.
JumpseatJunkie
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JumpseatJunkie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:05 am

So its been about 9 months since I last posted here. In that time, I've managed to make it through the entrance tests, pass the interview, & make it into the ATCO programme. Finished up my Core last year which took an effort & a half. Started off with about 40 students & saw a lot of them "fade away." We're busy with the ATS Rating at the moment. Just have our practical left, before getting posted for work as an assistant for about a year or so. Its been a great ride so far & our group is itching to go out into Ops. For anyone that stumbles upon this thread & is thinking about applying for the ATCO/ATSO programme, perservere!
Keeping the Centre line

Return to “ATNS”