JNB 121.7: Ready for Start

Questions for Air Traffic Navigation Services.

Moderator: Moderators

Sprayline
Flaps set for Take off
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: JNB 121.7: Ready for Start

Unread post by Sprayline » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:12 am

I am not interested into getting into a he said she said but for example -

Heathrow - You call clearance after you have got your clearance via Datalink, who give you start. Then call GND for push. 1 call. (Even sans CPDLC it is one call)
JFK - 1 call to clearance - you read back and then contact ramp for start and push. 1 call.
Sao paulo - 1 call for clearance (with or without PDC) they will then tell you to call GND for start.
Dulles - 1 call to clearance, call the ramp for push, start from your gnd crew. 1 call.
Munich - 1 call to clearance or via CPDLC - Automatic transfer to Ramp for start and push. 1 call.
Mumbai - Now here it is almost similar but for other reasons - but even here PDC is now available.

I could go on but the point is there is an awareness in other busy environments of the need to cut transmissions to expedite the flow. Not so here and in nearly all those places you are instructed to MONITOR the tower - further reducing white noise.

Waiting for a guy to initiate a clearance call, listen to ATC say standby, then call back to resetablish comms receive an answer then issue the clearance listen to the read back from another cockpit, and have ATC make one last call to say "call me back when you are ready" and perhaps even an acknowledgement of that instruction while all you want to say is ready for start and push seems like an aweful waste of time and bandwidth especially since all he is going to say is call GND on 121.9.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 293 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:18 am

Sprayline, all I am saying is we are often held prior to start on CLD, before being handed off to GMC possibly due to some other congestion or bigger picture. Sa ATC has huge challenges in ATC selection, recruitment and training. I am also often frustrated by some incompetence here and believe me so are the ATCs. If you want to get REAL fustrated you could do more trips to India and china where you often make several calls on frequency before they answer you. India especially , where pilots are mostly to blame for exceptionally poor RT discipline. I do hear what you are saying, but you should address your frustrations of incompetence directly to the ex SAA boss who now is In charge at ATNS who insists on an overly racist selection and training process above professionalism. The result is you end up with people who can not even answer the phone correctly never mind an RT call. My sympathies lie with those few ATCs that are exceptionally professional that are doing their best under trying circumstances.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Sprayline
Flaps set for Take off
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Sprayline » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Broken windows is what I am saying. I have no desire to fix the system - been down that road, walked away frustrated. Addessing that boss or any of his ilk is futile. The embarrassment gene is missing in that DNA - pointing it out is pointless.
ciao

Return to “ATNS”