Backwards Auto

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

psg
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Backwards Auto

Unread post by psg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Everyone

Please excuse the stupid question but isn't that part of standard heli training?( The auto and not backwards) I have seen helicopters doin g it into Barton field here in the UK on a few occasions. Seeing them in being practised makes me feel uneasy about going in a helicopter now. Have been in many before seeing this being practised.
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 304 times

Unread post by cage » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 pm

psg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi Everyone

Please excuse the stupid question but isn't that part of standard heli training?( The auto and not backwards) I have seen helicopters doin g it into Barton field here in the UK on a few occasions. Seeing them in being practised makes me feel uneasy about going in a helicopter now. Have been in many before seeing this being practised.
Autos are the single most important skill any helo pilot should master.
You are taught the basics prior to going solo and it is reinforced later in training and thoroughly tested during your skills test and at each validation.
They look worse than they are, especially from the ground looking at a 22 which has a high rate of decent.
Almost any other aircraft has better inertia than a 22 so it is less exciting - a Jetranger wafts down in comparison.
Unlike a fixed wing, an auto will end with very low forward speed so as long as there is an open spot, you have more options in a rotary aircraft than it's plank brethren.
psg
Engine Cranking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by psg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:25 am

cage wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 pm
psg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi Everyone

Autos are the single most important skill any helo pilot should master.
You are taught the basics prior to going solo and it is reinforced later in training and thoroughly tested during your skills test and at each validation.
They look worse than they are, especially from the ground looking at a 22 which has a high rate of decent.
Almost any other aircraft has better inertia than a 22 so it is less exciting - a Jetranger wafts down in comparison.
Unlike a fixed wing, an auto will end with very low forward speed so as long as there is an open spot, you have more options in a rotary aircraft than it's plank brethren.
I understand a bit more now. I guess its like any flying down to training. Will look at them doing it again and maybe try a hour or two in one. Thank you

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”