First memorable helo landings

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 303 times

First memorable helo landings

Unread post by cage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:02 pm

Ladies and @TF, since this is pretty much the only dedicated helo forum I thought you wouldn't mind giving the broader whirly community some leeway in a place less likely to be "diluted" by the various tupperware pilots in the broader forum.

Interested to know what is the most memorable confine/landing that fellow heli-ists had early on in their flying journey..

For me it's a tough choice between two:
As an SPL landing at van Gaalens cheese farm in a 22 and later, once qualified, landing on a small patch next to a waterfall in the Berg..
Was a first on both occasions and really stands out for me.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Re: First memorable helo landings

Unread post by tanglefoot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:20 pm

cage wrote:Ladies and @TF, since this is pretty much the only dedicated helo forum I thought you wouldn't mind giving the broader whirly community some leeway in a place less likely to be "diluted" by the various tupperware pilots in the broader forum.

Interested to know what is the most memorable confine/landing that fellow heli-ists had early on in their flying journey..

For me it's a tough choice between two:
As an SPL landing at van Gaalens cheese farm in a 22 and later, once qualified, landing on a small patch next to a waterfall in the Berg..
Was a first on both occasions and really stands out for me.
Waffle, waffle waffle.

Just like a Jeti pilot. All talk and no pictures.

Great thread cage but needs pictures. Plank pilots are all talk. Not heli pilots.

You first :D
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Fair enough. Will edit some go pro footage. Strangely appropriate as both times involved Robbie's :p
You're up!
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Hey cage,

This landing at Tenahead mountain lodge, 8600ft, two up with 4 jerry cans (to get back to bloem) and luggage was probably my most memorable confined. The manager mentioned that there had been a couple of miltary helicopters in with a couple of 'oopsies' so I feel lucky to have gotten in and out in one piece. It is also only my second ever low rrpm (on takeoff) event in 8yrs.

The problem with this thread is that all the 'confined' landings are already documented in the 'Where have you been' thread.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=48480&start=15#p650961

The "smoke" in the backround are the clouds 'lapping' on the edge of the escarpment. A short walk to the edge and there is a 1000m drop down to the eastern cape. The most amazing experience ever. Our LZ was clouded over when we left Bloem and within 15min of arrival you couldn't see 50m. The cloud just poured over the top. With an additional 250hrs of experience I would battle to convince myself to repeat the experience.
03122009011.jpg
How about we discuss it with Pete, who started the forum, and change the name to open it to all helicopters. Yes, even Jeti's. From my experience it won't change things much but heck (forgive me for my sins, oh Lord) it might give you a home 8-[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by cage » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:00 am

aah yes. forgot about that thread. Been a while since it was updated :/
Good idea to open it up to the broader helo community since there are so few of us it's not practical to have ones dedicated to make/model.

Pic look cool. Most I attempted in a 44 was 9500ft in the Berg and fortunately with an instructor.
Scotsman
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Bankstown
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Scotsman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Might be worth having a heli forum on the main index page instead of tucked away.
James Roberts, Bankstown Airport, Sydney, Australia
PPL (H) and lapsed PPL (A)

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”