Service Bulletins

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Service Bulletins

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun May 17, 2009 8:37 pm

I know that most pilots don't have a clue what has (or has not) been done to their Heli but maybe a thread on R22/R44 service bulletins will raise awareness of what SHOULD have been done. Next time you open those little hatches on both sides of your robbi you will ACTUALLY have something to look for!

Especially the H&F Avcommers (up until recently myself included) are prone to do the preflights according to what you are taught by your instructor. Everything else is apparently done FOR you. Well, maybe not.

A full set of R44/R22 service bulletins are available at http://www.robinsonheli.com/servelib.htm

I'll concentrate primarily on the R44 Service Bulletins (SB's) but if anyone wants to chuck in the R22 SB's then go for it.

In terms of recent service bulletins we have the following:
SB-67 R44 Fuel Hose Supports.
This had to be done before 31Jan09 and is designed to reduce after crash fires. If this was done to the KTM heli it may actually been the first 'test' case. (It would be interesting to know if SB-67 was done)

SB-68 Rigid fuel line replacement.
Another effort by Robinson to prevent fuel fires by replacing rigid fuel lines. This is a new one and needs to be done by 31Jul09 (or 100 hrs).

SB-69 Gascolator Assembly.
There is no specific reason given for this other than to replace a 'clip' type with a 'screw' type. Maybe someone can give input into the safety reason behind this change. Also needs to be done by 31Jul09 or 100hrs.

SB-70 Carbon Monoxide Detector retrofit.
Only applicable to 'old' 44's that don't have one. Also 31Jul09.

SB-71 R44II Throttle linkage
Only applicable to Raven II. Also 31Jul09.

Perhaps we can also discuss whether it is the pilot / owner / or AMO's responsibility to implement these SB's. I know that up until I became a part owner I was not aware/did not look for any factory 'upgrades'. I assumed that if the release to service was current then everything was ok.
Last edited by tanglefoot on Mon May 03, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Re: Service Bulletins

Unread post by tanglefoot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:36 am

SL36: 17 December 2009 / There is a new Service Letter regarding the installation of Bladder Fuel tanks for all R44's and R44II's.

At the moment it seems voluntary (at a price of USD13500) although they indicate that it will be compulsory to install the bladders during the 2200hr overhaul (reduced price of USD8600).

Oh well, another R80,000 (incl VAT) on the cost of rebuild.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Pete » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for the update Tanglefoot 8)

I think the bladder tanks will bee a good thing. =D> =D>
When helis capsize, all hell literally breaks loose for a few moments and if the fuel can be contained in a rubber cell, it will be far more resilient to leaks and splashing all over the place than in a thin ally can.

Years ago Bell heli brought out a mod on the 47's to encapsulate the round shaped fuel tanks in a composite material as well as install breakaway fuel valves. The idea was that whilst you were encountering rapid depreciation, the fuel tanks were designed to break free of the main frame and roll away with the self sealing valves ensuring that the fuel remained in the durable tanks.

There have been a number of post crash fires in 44's and I commend RHC in being proactive! =D> =D>
As they say "If all is said and nothing is done, everything will stay the same" :D

That $13.5K odd will appear a huge bargain if you have a totally survivable oopsie, only to be toasted by burning fuel splashed on you... :shock:
mol
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FASZ
Has liked: 0

Unread post by mol » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:04 pm

SB-69 Gascolator Assembly.
There is no specific reason given for this other than to replace a 'clip' type with a 'screw' type. Maybe someone can give input into the safety reason behind this change. Also needs to be done by 31Jul09 or 100hrs.

Apparently the old clip in type bowl on the gascolator was prone to "pop" off on impact thus causing a fuel spillage - the new screw type should remain in place and prevent fuel spillage from this part of system.
Jaco

Just because you've done something a hundred times, doesn't mean it's safe..... it just means you've gotten away with it a hundred times.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Oh boy, Robinson have been really busy again. All Service Bulletins below date 30 April. Have to be completed by 31 July or next 100hrs/150hrs.

SB-72 - Main Rotor Blade Bond inspection. Not something new, used to be a service letter (SL) now a Service Bulletin (SB). Please check that your AMO has a 1965 (or later) quarter dollar coin (see bulletin at http://www.robinsonheli.com/servelib.htm) otherwise they can't do the inspection properly :|

SB-73 - Battery relay bypass circuit fuse. Only affects R44's serial no 312 and older. USD14 if ordered before 31 July (Probably USD100 postage) and 1 man hour. (Luckily not my problem)

SB74 - MRGB Input Yoke Retaining Nut Torque. Check if your R44 is affected. Doesn't sound like a biggie.

SB75 - Door lower hinge pins. This is REALLY a BS one. Applies to VERY old R44's and R44's with replaced doors. The story goes that the LOWER hinge pins on some of these R44's were not drilled to accept a securing ring or were too short for one. I thought you only needed ONE securing ring per door anyway. What's the problem :?: These hinge assemblies are like USD60 a pop. Did you know that there is even a part number for the securing rings :?: Only USD0.35, slightly more expensive that the ones from the dreaded yellow building store. (Builders Warehouse for the people from the other side of the mountain 8) )

SB76 - Air Conditioning Installation Upgrades. If your R44 has a serial number of 10001 and above have a look. That will teach you to be a larney with an aircon #-o
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks Tanglefoot!
And here are the bulletins that refer to the R22..

SB-103 30 Apr 2010 Main Rotor Blade Bond Inspection
SB-102 30 Apr 2010 Battery Relay Bypass Circuit Fuse
KI-197 30 Apr 2010 R22 Battery Relay Bypass Circuit Kit Instructions
SB-101 30 Apr 2010 Door Lower Hinge Pins
SB-100 30 Apr 2010 Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Retrofit
KI-164 30 Apr 2009 Carbon Monoxide Detector Field Installation Kit Instructions
SB-99 30 Apr 2010 Gascolator Assembly

PS I have a few 1965 or later Quarters for the tap test.. @ 0.25 X R7.5! :lol: :lol:
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:05 pm

R44 - SB77
R22 - SB104
Clutch Actuator fuse holder wiring.

HOW DO YOU INCORRECTLY WIRE A FUSE HOLDER :?: Surely there is a wire coming in and a wire going out and it doesn't even matter which way around you do it :!:

Anyway, Robinson have succeeded in wiring a fuse holder incorrectly SOMEWHERE and we now have to check up on them at the next MPI or 31 August, whichever comes first.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:43 pm

SL-37 is a service letter announcing a new main rotor blade for the R44II. Enhanced corrosion resistance at the blade tips seems to be the major advantage.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:05 pm

http://robinsonheli.com/srvclib/r44sb78.pdf SB-78 Bladder Fuel Tank Retrofit - As soon as practical but no later than 31 December 2014. This is more stringent than the earlier Service Letter that required the retrofit at the next rebuild.

http://robinsonheli.com/srvclib/r44sb79.pdf SB-79 Sprag Clutch lubricant check for metallic debris - At next MPI. About USD25 parts + labour if nothing is wrong. Another USD250 if there is a problem.
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:01 pm

mol wrote:SB-69 Gascolator Assembly.

Apparently the old clip in type bowl on the gascolator was prone to "pop" off on impact thus causing a fuel spillage - the new screw type should remain in place and prevent fuel spillage from this part of system.
This is a bulletin that will go a very long way in preventing post crash fires.
Every time I have seen a Robbie that has hit the ground hard (survivable impact) the bowl of the old type gascolator has been knocked off resulting in fuel splashing right next to the battery and terminals of the master solenoid.
From taking a very close look at the wreck of my mates R22 it is most likely that this initiated the post crash fire.

Most Piper single (including the cubs) also have this kak piece of "not even fit for my tractor" gascolator fitted and I have always viewed it with suspicion. All it takes is a little too hard push with the fuel tester to make it spring a leak between the bowl and top cover.

The new gascolator cover and retaining ring is such a simple and I believe completely effective fix =D>
Had it ordered and ebodied without any delay
I cannot believe that this mod was not done years ago.. its such a no brainer :shock:
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:17 pm

AMOC to AD 2007-26-12
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Pete wrote:AMOC to AD 2007-26-12
Can one apply these "AMOC"s locally without additional CAA approval :?:
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Well, Service Letters SL38 and SL39 have been issued for the R44 (and the R66 has its FIRST Service letter.

SL38: Apparently there are self locking nuts somewhere that are cracking. Maybe someone can give me a heads up on where to find ONE. I'll find the rest 8-[

SL39: For once a Service Letter that doesn't affect me. If the fuel servo diaphragm in your R44 was replaced after 20 May 2010 then it needs to be replaced again PRIOR TO FURTHER FLIGHT [-o<
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Well, Service Letters SL38 and SL39 have been issued for the R44 (and the R66 has its FIRST Service letter.

SL38: Apparently there are self locking nuts somewhere that are cracking. Maybe someone can give me a heads up on where to find ONE. I'll find the rest 8-[
These MS21042-L4 Self Locking 1/4 inch Hex Nuts are commonly used on all the Robinson Machines. (Including the R22, SL58)
We will have to ensure our nuts are not cracked.. 8-[ :smt119
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:06 pm

RHC has issued service bulletin SB105 that requires replacement of the fuel shutoff valve on R22's (serial 0002 to 4271) within the next 500 hours or by 31 Aug 2012.

Apparently some pax moved the selector to off position just prior to takeoff, resulting in a crash moments later. :shock:

Required "hoes" is $260 for parts and 2 hours labour. 8-[

See attached bulletin for all info.

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”