Where did you go in your Robbie today!

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

danieP
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Where did you go in your Robbie today!

Unread post by danieP » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 pm

nobody go's no more. would like to see more nice places.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

danieP wrote:nobody go's no more. would like to see more nice places.
Agreed, need to work less and play more :wink:
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 pm

It's too hot, I don't like to fly in this heat and Robbies can't fly in this heat! :twisted: :lol:

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Whirly wrote:
It's too hot, I don't like to fly in this heat and Robbies can't fly in this heat! :twisted: :lol:
Whirly.
Trying to punt a flamethrower again :D

I looked through the POH and nowhere does it say that you can't fly above a certain temperature :? There is a bit about "demonstrated cooling" which at 6000ft would be 26deg. What is the temperature at 500ft AGL when it is 32deg on the ground?? Can't say that I've ever seen the OAT in flight close to the "demonstrated cooling" limit even on a "hot" day.

Anyway, SOME Robbies come with aircon's. You close the doors, wind up the windows and enjoy :D
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Something happening soon. Watch this space :D
Bots.jpg
Write-up on a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=120009
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tanglefoot on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duane Mouton
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Duane Mouton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 am

ZS-RWE at FAGC (Grand Central) - This was my initial solo :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piper PA22-108 Colt ZS-CXC
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14 am

Nice Duane,

I remember my first solo at GC. Damn 22 wouldn't come down and I ended up far down the taxiway. Looks like you judged it nicely :D
Duane Mouton
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Duane Mouton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Nice Duane,

I remember my first solo at GC. Damn 22 wouldn't come down and I ended up far down the taxiway. Looks like you judged it nicely :D
I know exactly what you are talking about :D I felt how fast it climbs and how it doesn't seem to want to descend, but i managed to get the approach spot on :)
Piper PA22-108 Colt ZS-CXC
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Hopefully this is what you are talking about :wink:

Now, what to do next :?

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=120009
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Had a weekend away, first for a long while. Also my first landing at the "wrong" site for a while, but I have an excuse :)

We booked for an evening at Budmarsh Country lodge (http://www.budmarsh.co.za)and watching the weather carefully all week. It seemed good-to go for a mid morning arrival and departure. All good and checked on Google Earth we routed West from Rand (after being shouted at by ATC. I lifted off requesting a routing to magaliesburg and they expected me to route north and must have been surprised when I routed West to Magaliesburg Town rather than Magaliesburg mountain [-( ) past Randfontein, keeping away from Orient and heading north the last 10nm or so.

On arrival we immediately saw a heli pad in approximately the correct spot. Looked more like a housing estate and turned out to be De Hoek (which I have never flown to :oops: ) Saw a second helipad also in approximately the correct spot. This one looked more like a lodge but still not like the one on Google Earth. We circled twice and not finding anything better decided to go in for a landing.

Busy shutting down and a friendly gentleman appears at my door, from behind, having successfully negotiated the tail rotor and main blades. Anyway, he gave me quite a start. He explained that we were at Magalies Manor (http://www.magaliesmanor.co.za/), He pointed us in the correct direction and we made a quick call to Budmarsh and arranged for someone to stand at the helipad. Once we knew where it was the big H on the ground was pretty shockingly visible #-o

It's takeoffs and landings that count so I'm not upset. The Magalies Manor one is a bit more confined and was good fun.

High Tea, an afternoon sleep, fancy dinner and big breakfast later we were on our way home. Lanseria ATC were kind enough to hustle us through 5500ft and below via Muldersdrift and we were back at Rand in no time. 0.7hrs there and 0.6hrs back.

The landing spot at Magalies Manor, there IS an H there somewhere!!!. Definitely on the list for next time.
PB303631.JPG
Landing Spot at Budmarsh
PB303632.JPG
You can see the thatched roof of Magalies Manor in the background!
PB303642.JPG
PB303643.JPG
PB303653.JPG
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:06 am

Finally another trip.

We flew down to Hazyview and refuelled at Nelspruit Civil enroute. That would leave enough fuel for a direct return flight to Rand. The leg to Nelspruit was 1.7hrs and to Hazyview 0.4hrs. The return flight with a stinker of a headwind (at times we were managing only 80kts) was 2.0hrs. As is our wont we routed via Southern Corridor both ways and received the usual friendly service from Joburg Tower. It is seldom that we use 118.1 but with a Southerly wind prevailing that was the frequency of the day.

Nelspruit was as efficient as ever with the fuel bowser arriving as we shut down (R19.49 per litre compared to Rand @ R19.17/l) The short hop to Hazyview had me wondering if I was on the correct frequency, 130.35 for Kruger Special Rules, as it was deathly quiet on the airwaves but a subsequent confirmation from Kruger Tower helped affirm that I was the only pilot flying.

We were booked in at Sabi River Sun hotel (http://www.tsogosunhotels.com/resorts/s ... 5lpOnK1YrY) for three nights. I phoned the reception earlier in the week and got put through to Helga. On explaining my request for a parking spot she promptly arranged for an "H" to be marked out just next to the putting green. All set for the weekend!!!

The return flight was up the Sabi valley. On straight and level we were down to 80kts at times (100kIA) and 60kts on the climb. We had 2hrs fuel before I would start feeling uncomfortable and at time it looked like we wouldn't make it. Keeping as low as possible I was able to squeeze a 90kts average for the trip when our normal cruising ground speed is 100kts.

Anyway, great weekend away and thanks to the staff at Sabi River Sun for a memorable confined parking spot.

P6074032.jpg
P6074037.jpg
P6074039.jpg
P6074041.jpg
P6074043.jpg
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by csparksfly » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:52 am

Lekker! Hope no one tried to "chip" your way :lol: - I see the young lad being called back ..
Skill and luck - always have enough of both
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 am

csparksfly wrote:Lekker! Hope no one tried to "chip" your way :lol: - I see the young lad being called back ..
The first tee is just to the left of the putting green and I sat watching with interest to see if anyone would hook the ball through 90deg :) There is a hippo pool with a bird hide at the bottom of the 1st and I can tell you that walking down the golf course is not for the faint hearted. They should introduce "solo" tests for golfers..........
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 am

We attended the HenleyAir (http://www.henleyair.co.za/) mountain flying/training weekend from 28-31 May at Cathedral Peak Hotel. I must say that it is great to have all the planning, approvals and authorisations done for one, for a change. Not sure how it all happens but it did.

Lift-off from Rand on Thursday morning with a comfortable hour and a bit flight to the Caltex garage just North of Harrismith where we stopped for breakfast at the Maxi's diner. Then a 25min hop down the hill and across Woodstock dam to Cathedral Peak hotel where we landed on the soccer field.

The HenleyAir logistical machinery (In the form of a young chap by the name of Ramiro) kicked into gear with refuelling and transport to the hotel all happening seamlessly, all weekend long!! The pilots putting the four instructors through their paces and teaching them self preservation skills in exchange for some incredible mountain flying experiences. It is 6 or 7 years since my last mountain flying experience and with a couple of hundred hours more under my belt it is even more rewarding than I could have imagined. Pinnacle landings at 8500ft (and higher) and valley flying and confined landings were the order of the day.

The Cathedral Peak Hotel (http://www.cathedralpeak.co.za/) lived up to its reputation with great accommodation and excellent food. A weekend full of new experiences.

It is 175nm one way with access to Bethlehem for refueling on the way back (If Ramiro isn't there to help!). Various approvals are required for flying in the berg. Each helicopter was equipped with a tracker that was sent to the parks board for review to check that we did not go where we were not supposed to.

Magnificent Weather
Berg Cathedral Peak June 2015 039.jpg
RUT coming in to land
Berg Cathedral Peak June 2015 118.jpg
If it's flat enough it is worth a landing
IMG-20150531-WA0003.jpg
The view from 11500ft in RML
IMG-20150529-WA0013.jpg
No shutting down here! RML, RSR & RUT enjoying the view from 8500ft
IMG-20150530-WA0018.jpg
Eddybear
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by Eddybear » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Nice one Tanglefoot!

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”