Rotorway

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

Ger Koff
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Rotorway

Unread post by Ger Koff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am

Geez George

That Rotorway summary is scary to say the least. That has really changed my opinion of them. Helicopter flying is hazardous enough without the added risk of an inherently unreliable machine. What's left in the NTCA field? The Safari maybe? Uses an 0-320 or 0-360 and has a TR and MR gearbox and TR shaft drive.
I must say, that Rotorway story scares the crap out of me!
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Ger Koff wrote:Geez George

That Rotorway summary is scary to say the least. That has really changed my opinion of them. Helicopter flying is hazardous enough without the added risk of an inherently unreliable machine. What's left in the NTCA field? The Safari maybe? Uses an 0-320 or 0-360 and has a TR and MR gearbox and TR shaft drive.
I must say, that Rotorway story scares the crap out of me!
[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

Depends who is flying it - i would rather be in a helicopter in any terrain than any fixed wing :idea: Much safer and much better to fly :idea:
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
George

Unread post by George » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After reading/hearing and "researching" about the co$t$ involved in WOER WOER's I quietly crept back into fixed wing shell and shall remain there possibly for ever (or until there is a 2 seat helisukkel available) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Costs dictate that I would rather fly a fixed wing turbine than a piston heli :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
mikemat

Unread post by mikemat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:27 pm

How about a gyro ? They (in the 2-seater version) have the same if not better performance capability than a 2-seater helicopter, at a fraction of the running cost?
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm

mikemat wrote:How about a gyro ? They (in the 2-seater version) have the same if not better performance capability than a 2-seater helicopter, at a fraction of the running cost?
Eish Boet did you wake up with a big headache :shock: You cannot even compare the 2, they fly different, they have different qualities BUT helicopters can hover, gyros can't. For my game a gyro will kill me and/or i won't get the job done as we need to reverse very quickly sometimes when a sable bull ducks under the chopper :D
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
mikemat wrote:How about a gyro ? They (in the 2-seater version) have the same if not better performance capability than a 2-seater helicopter, at a fraction of the running cost?
Eish Boet did you wake up with a big headache :shock: You cannot even compare the 2, they fly different, they have different qualities BUT helicopters can hover, gyros can't. For my game a gyro will kill me and/or i won't get the job done as we need to reverse very quickly sometimes when a sable bull ducks under the chopper :D
Give poor old mikemat a break. It's his first post and it takes experience to know not to mention gyro's on a heli forum. :roll:
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Iain

Unread post by Iain » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Whilst on the topic of Rotorways, I was looking for info on turbines and came across info about the RR300 that is to be used in the R66. Rotorway is also using the engine in a new certified heli called the Eagle 300T

http://www.rotorway.com/eagle_specs.html
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Iain wrote:Whilst on the topic of Rotorways, I was looking for info on turbines and came across info about the RR300 that is to be used in the R66. Rotorway is also using the engine in a new certified heli called the Eagle 300T

http://www.rotorway.com/eagle_specs.html
Interesting link Iain.

If you download the brochure at http://robinsonheli.com/r66turbine.htm it is difficult to even comprehend what Rotorway is trying to offer. They use the same engine as the 5 seater 2700lbAUW, 120kt, 14000ft ceiling, 10000ft OGE hover capability etc etc heli but only offer a 2 seater turbine trainer with a 400kg payload that can't even keep up with a Raven II???

Admittedly these are very basic stats from both manufacturers but as a starting point the R66 seems way ahead.

What is the target market? Other than looks it seems to have little to offer!
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Ger Koff

Unread post by Ger Koff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm

I found a very interesting website regarding PSRU and Rotorway. Definately worth reading. :shock:
http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”