Potential Wire Strike Hazards

Two-seat R22 and four-seat R44 helicopters.

Moderator: Moderators

tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0

Potential Wire Strike Hazards

Unread post by tanglefoot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 am

All hazards on this thread kindly collated by csparksfly and posted in a Google Earth .kmz file at http://drop.io/xuatk1z
If you have Google Earth installed on your computer simply download the file, click on it and it will display on google earth. If you click on the yellow markers a description of the hazard will be displayed in a dialogue box
SUN CITY, NORTH WEST PROVINCE

At the valley entrance to Sun City Helipad there is a foofie slide. The wire is all but invisible and you need to stay South of the road until perpendicular to the valley entrance (Or go over the top!)
Foofie Slide Cable Hazard.kmz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tanglefoot on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
echodelta
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Depends on where I am
Has liked: 0

Re: Potential Wire Strike Hazards

Unread post by echodelta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:26 am

Great topic.

Shouldn't this be in Academy & Flight Safety, instead of the Robinson section? It's applicable to all pilots.
Know thyself and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:46 am

echodelta wrote:Great topic.

Shouldn't this be in Academy & Flight Safety, instead of the Robinson section? It's applicable to all pilots.
Here it will at least be on page 1 :wink: Unless it is stickied it will soon be lost on the main board. I don't mind. It is definitely an important topic though.

How about broadening the forum to include ALL helicopters, not only Robinson's :?:
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by csparksfly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:17 am

Can I raise the bar by requesting a kml file that can be used in Google Earth? It could indicate the helipad, and the wires/obstructions.
This kml file can be "grown" by all.

I'd like to have put one down for the first post, but haven't been there before (by helicopter). Please mail me if I can help you, or if you can help me.

Craig.
Skill and luck - always have enough of both
swash007

Unread post by swash007 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice Tanglefoot!
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by csparksfly » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Does anyone have contacts in Eskom that can get some data about(dare I ask) their above ground powerlines? Would be great to add.

C.
Skill and luck - always have enough of both
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:52 pm

LYDENBURG, MPUMALANGA

These cables are stretched across a valley just north of Lydenburg, before you get to Kudu Ranch, about 5nm South of the viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39922 accident in 2008.

It is a High Tension Eskom line and your best bet is to spot the towers on either side of the valley as the cables are unmarked and just about impossible to spot against the green background of the valley.
Eskom Wires over Valley.kmz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 pm

WATERVAL BOVEN, MPUMALANGA

These are probably the most 'famous' lines. Especially the ones that cross over the N4 as it goes down the escarpment. Fortunately they are marked and when flying down from the top they are pretty easy to spot and difficult to hit. Coming up from Nelspruit though you need to be wary of them although they are so high above the ground that you could easily fly under them without even noticing.

IMO the bigger problem is all the unmarked lines that stretch from the tops of the hills to the West of Waterval Boven. If you route direct for FABB on reaching the town you will find two or three sets of unmarked lines uncomfortably high above the ground near the surrounding hills.
Waterval Boven.kmz
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by csparksfly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 am

I have collated the warnings/heads up tanglefoot has added into one file:
http://drop.io/xuatk1z
--edit-- unfortunately this link is broken. I will have to make another plan...

It contains the descriptions tanglefoot has so graciously provided. I will be translating most content posted here into some file at the drop location. There you can subscribe to changes too if you want.

C.
Last edited by csparksfly on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 am

I've added the link to the first post for ease of reference. Now, if only we could get some contributions from some of the 'uber' pilots and not just the 'day trippers'.

There is another spot flying back from Polokwane along the N1. I can't find it on google earth, I'll have to check my maps when I get home. I remember seeing powerlines stretching between two hills across the N1, south of Nylsvlei. They were marked but against the ground clutter still difficult to see.

Just in case someone starts thinking I spend my time 100ft above the ground I need to add that in all cases I am well above all these obstacles I have listed. Maybe from 100ft they will be easier to see. Unfortunately I do not know :roll:
echodelta
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Depends on where I am

Unread post by echodelta » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:45 am

I think the ones you are talking about are roundabout here. Will get a precise fix when I drive past there again.
Know thyself and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

MOKOPANE, LIMPOPO
Thanks echodelta. I was looking too far south. Here is the gap in the range of hills where the wires are. There may be more at Driefontein so I've renamed these wires as Mokopane.

They span across from one side of the N1 to the other. They are marked and significantly higher than what one would expect.
Mokopane N1 Wires.kmz
Isn't google earth amazing. For a moment there I thought I would even see the pylons(Taken from 500ft above the N1, looking north):
mokopane wires.jpg
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by csparksfly » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Thats why I want the Eskom data, I'd like to draw the grid...(not to steal their cables :P )
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

QORA RIVER MOUTH (KOB INN, MAZZEPA BAY), EASTERN CAPE (TRANSKEI)

There are a set of powerlines over the Qora river (marked with white balls) across the first set of hills behind the beach. The lines are approximately 250ft AGL. The river valley leading away from the beach is extremely inviting. I was rather stuck on the ground so I can't report on the visibility of the wires from the air.
Kob Inn-Qora River Mouth.jpg
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by csparksfly » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am

Here is a link to another thread with some google earth overlays of some airspaces:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77122&hilit=+fagc#p924697

Return to “Robinson Helicopters”