glider tug

South Africa's most successful kit aircraft. Three types - the 500, Explorer and Safari

Moderator: Moderators

attaltitude
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

glider tug

Unread post by attaltitude » Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Are there any bushbaby type aircraft currently in use as glider tugs in sa , I know that there is a kitfox being used for this in gariep
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: glider tug

Unread post by stefan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 am

There are other types that do. I heard of a Kitfox 4 being used somewhere.

The Bushbaby can be used but will have to go through a mod approval process for that. I have all the info reqiured to be able to do the mod but the economics of getting the mod approval has not made sense so far. If somebody is willing to pick up tab we will gladly get going on something like this.
liaan
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by liaan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 am

eurofox also used for towing: http://www.eurofoxuk.co.uk/page6.htm
bla bla fishpaste

I need spell Checker
Pili2
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Congreve
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Pili2 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 pm

At this moment the first Safari intended as a glider tug has completed kit fabrication in Petit. It is destined for Kenyan conditions that are similar to Reef altitudes and temperatures (6.000' / OAT 30+), so hot and high. It is getting the new 912ULT plus constant speed prop that has flown in one or two recently completed Safari's that Stefan has posted about on the Bushplanes Facebook site. This should give us enough power for our launching requirements. It will also get the Berringer Alaskan Landing Gear option ( :oops: 8)) for bushflying but that is for another post.

The tail section has had reinforcements added in three places for better load distribution - see attached photos. It will get a Tost tail release, likely the E22 lightweight version for gliders up to 700kg.

Tost folder blurb:
E 22 series. Small, light tow release 015000, LBA type approval as per type certificate 11.402/9NTS, for maximum all-up weights of 700 kg. Compared with the E 85, the mounting space is reduced by almost half to 75 x 65 mm, the mass to just 310 g. Installation is compatible with E 85.

As we progress with the project I will update here, the intention is to demonstrate the towing capabilities in South Africa before flying up to Kenya.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by PO » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Great!

Yes, please remember the updates :)
stefan
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by stefan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 pm

The tug Safari project is about 65-70% completed and should be flying September this year. Tow hook installation was a breeze and we do not expect any surprises.
sumbloke
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: FAPM
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by sumbloke » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:45 am

Did this get going?
stefan
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by stefan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, The aircraft is in Kenya. Not sure if Patrick has done towing. I will post some pictures of the final setup

Return to “Bushbaby”