Bushbaby 500 Flying funny

South Africa's most successful kit aircraft. Three types - the 500, Explorer and Safari

Moderator: Moderators

M64_Blaze
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bushbaby 500 Flying funny

Unread post by M64_Blaze » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm

My Bushbaby seems to fly with a high nose attitude. I thought this was normal but after chatting to other bushbaby owners its not. My H stab is set with a positive angle of incidence. it was like this when I bought it so I gathered it was all setup correctly. after having a look at other bushbabies they all seem to have their H stabs straight.

Could this be affecting it?

I was flying with another BB today and he pulled away effortlessly from me at 5600rpm meanwhile I was at 6000rpm and still could not keep up with him. My static rpm on the ground is +-6300rpm (Rotax 582)
Performance Detail - The Ultimate In Vehicle Valet
Aircraft and Auto Detailing
www.performancedetail.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/performancedetail1
JvTonder
Engine re-started
Closest Airfield: RhinoPark
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Bushbaby 500 Flying funny

Unread post by JvTonder » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi I had exactly the same problem with my BB and had a 912 Xtra in, used to cruise about 75mph, turns out the original builder didn't do the set up 100% correct. Took it to the factory for some work and asked Stefan to go through the whole plane and when I got it back cruised 95mph with ease. This was couple off years ago and can't remember everything but horizontal stab was one thing, washout on wings another.

My advice is to take it to KFA at Petit, speak to Stefan very help and have them take a look at it.
Flying feeds the soul!
M64_Blaze
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by M64_Blaze » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:38 pm

JvTonder wrote:Hi I had exactly the same problem with my BB and had a 912 Xtra in, used to cruise about 75mph, turns out the original builder didn't do the set up 100% correct. Took it to the factory for some work and asked Stefan to go through the whole plane and when I got it back cruised 95mph with ease. This was couple off years ago and can't remember everything but horizontal stab was one thing, washout on wings another.

My advice is to take it to KFA at Petit, speak to Stefan very help and have them take a look at it.
Thanks JvTonder! I'm in Cape Town so I want to see if I can get it sorted out here first. if not then a trip to the factory will have to be planned.

I get around 80mph at 6000rpm......
JvTonder
Engine re-started
Closest Airfield: RhinoPark
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by JvTonder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 am

Well then you must give Stefan a ring and ask him what to check. Another option is to maybe speak to Oupa G as he is the closest, don't know if he can help thou, or Oom Boet op Lorisfontein even if he is a bit far but closer than the factory.

You should join microlighters.co.za. read this thread

http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewtopi ... 397#p84092
Flying feeds the soul!
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by stefan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Send me a pic of the aircraft as well as the tail section so I can have a look. I am going to Cape Town soon and could pop in and have a look. Where are you hangared?

info @ saplanes.co.za
M64_Blaze
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by M64_Blaze » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm

stefan wrote:Send me a pic of the aircraft as well as the tail section so I can have a look. I am going to Cape Town soon and could pop in and have a look. Where are you hangared?

info @ saplanes.co.za
I will take pics tomorrow and send them through. I'm hangared at Morningstar airfield. Thanks Stefan that will be great if you can pop by when you come down!

Return to “Bushbaby”