SlowApproach
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

The two ‘poephol buttons’ in our cars

Unread post by SlowApproach » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Never a truer word spoken...

Source: https://citizen.co.za/opinion/opinion-c ... -our-cars/
If you’re touching these too often, then you should at least know what you are.

So, here’s a question for those of you who spend a lot of time in your car on our sometimes chaotic roads.

There are two poephol buttons in your average car – what are they?

And, those of you putting up your hands, let me stop you right there: the hooter (or horn as the Yanks say) is not the correct answer.

The first one of these buttons is the least problematic, because not all cars have one – but using it inappropriately nevertheless marks you down as an idiot. That is the button activating the vehicle’s fog lights, front or back.

Why? Well because, more and more these days, fog lights are being used in broad daylight, or in clear conditions at night.

Here’s the reality: doing that is illegal. You will get fined … at least assuming there is a cop around and he or she knows the law (and that is not always guaranteed).

The fine is R500, I understand.

In terms of Regulation 163 (6) of the National Road Traffic Act, 93 of 1996, “No person is allowed to operate on a public road, a motor vehicle while any fog lamp fitted to such vehicle is lit, except in conditions of poor visibility caused by snow, fog, mist, dust or smoke.”

Even more frightening is a tendency to use them in conjunction with parking lights, instead of the main beam headlights.

The most important thing to remember if you insist on using fog lights as main beam substitutes is that even the best of them do not have the range of the proper items.

So you might not see the pothole until too late. And here’s something else you probably didn’t think about, either.

Given that fog lights are for unusual or emergency situations, their bulbs are not designed to last as long as those in main beam units.

So, if you want to waste your money, go ahead.

The other button is a contribution to the national road madness by those who invented the term, the taxi industry.

Years ago, taxi drivers were often accused of stopping anywhere, any time. They would just pull over, resulting in many a rear-end collision.

Then, as their vehicles also caught up with the modern world, they discovered the hazard lights button – and used it as a warning to those behind that something unexpected was about to happen.

Not a bad idea, actually, although it is still illegal.

The law says such lights can only be used when a vehicle is “stationary in a hazardous position” or “in motion in an emergency situation” (which some might say does apply to taxis).

In any other circumstance, using hazard lights is illegal.

That still has not stopped tens of thousands of ignorant motorists copying taxis and using hazard lights to indicate a left turn, a right turn, a U-turn, an impending stop in the middle of the street (that’s what a street’s there for, isn’t it?).

Had they been trained properly, or not been able to bribe or buy their way to a driver’s licence, the problem would not exist.

The problem is that, if I am following you and you use your hazards as indicators, I do not know exactly what you intend.

And that is dangerous.

People die for less than that. On the other hand, though, I should allow you all to carry on. Your lights are just as effective as a neon orange sign saying “I am a moron” and “I have no clue how to drive”.
I made a huge to-do list for today. I just can't figure out who's going to do it.
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Re: The two ‘poephol buttons’ in our cars

Unread post by cage » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Add to that the A-hole indicator.
Every car has one, usually on the speedometer or rev-counter.
It's easy to find, and flashes in a yellow colour.
When you mash your foot onto the accelerator it will start flashing to tell you that are squarely in a-hole country.
Try it yourself ;)
Jel
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Rah Rah... hazard buttons can sometimes be used to say thank you, or when traffic suddenly stops in front of you in high traffic areas and need to warn those behind when brake lights are simply not enough... sometimes applying the law to the n'th degree is also rather pedantic... illegal probably, but it works :roll: :roll: :roll:
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by cage » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Jel wrote:Rah Rah... hazard buttons can sometimes be used to say thank you, or when traffic suddenly stops in front of you in high traffic areas and need to warn those behind when brake lights are simply not enough... sometimes applying the law to the n'th degree is also rather pedantic... illegal probably, but it works :roll: :roll: :roll:
A sudden unexpected stop counts as emergency use, in fact most modern cars (the good ones) will automatically activate hazards under sudden, hard braking.
Jel
Cows on Runway - doing go around
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Taxi's are generally a hazard and therefore suggest that they be left on permanently
omarb
Lining Up

Unread post by omarb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm

The fog light ones especially true. The morons using them don't realise its blinding, from the front or the rear. Idiots think its cool looking.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by Roger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

....poor visibility caused by snow, fog, mist, dust or smoke.
Isn't that all day long in the beeg smoke? :lol:
If ever in doubt about flying - drink a beer.
That will give you at least 8 hours to think about it some more.
Eddybear
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk

Unread post by Eddybear » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:02 pm

You have no idea how I hate the hazard light users.

They want to turn left, so switch on hazard lights
Want to turn right, switch on hazard lights.
Somebody farted in the vehicle, switch on hazard lights.

Why not indicate by the appropriatly named "indicator". Then everybody knows what you want to do.

It is definitely a sign of improper training.
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm getting used to it.....I even do it to say "thank you" to truck drivers on the N4 (Rusterburg) for giving one a chance to pass....my pet hate is people stopping dead on a cut out leaving a highway. :twisted: :twisted:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Fransw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Marius Schrenk wrote:I'm getting used to it.....I even do it to say "thank you" to truck drivers on the N4 (Rusterburg) for giving one a chance to pass....my pet hate is people stopping dead on a cut out leaving a highway. :twisted: :twisted:
Not a nice stretch Pta-Rustb! :?
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Walter105 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 pm

On my Honda the fog lights will only switch on with the brights on. Think that is a nifty way to keep the driver from using them inappropriately. Most other cars I have driven had a seperate switch for foglights which operated independently from the head lights.
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I must confess to being a fog light poephol when I was a young testosterone powered idiot driving my Toyota Sprinter. I only used the front fogs which had a separate swtich in my defense, so I was only half a poephol. This law is rigidly enforced in UK/Europe, and it is one of my pet hates when I see people doing it now in modern cars which often have very powerful and dazzling front fogs.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by BigglesSA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Walter105 wrote:On my Honda the fog lights will only switch on with the brights on. Think that is a nifty way to keep the driver from using them inappropriately. Most other cars I have driven had a seperate switch for foglights which operated independently from the head lights.
Are you sure Walter?

Brights actually make foggy situations worse. Try it next time you are in fog. Toggle between low and high beam. The white glare by high beam is blinding. Fog lights are usually fitted as low as possible and aimed close to the front of the car. Most cars now will only switch the fog lights on with headlights illuminated.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws
Walter105
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Walter105 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

BigglesSA wrote:
Walter105 wrote:On my Honda the fog lights will only switch on with the brights on. Think that is a nifty way to keep the driver from using them inappropriately. Most other cars I have driven had a seperate switch for foglights which operated independently from the head lights.
Are you sure Walter?

Brights actually make foggy situations worse. Try it next time you are in fog. Toggle between low and high beam. The white glare by high beam is blinding. Fog lights are usually fitted as low as possible and aimed close to the front of the car. Most cars now will only switch the fog lights on with headlights illuminated.
I tried the switches again after this post of yours. It only works with headlights on. So I can use it with dipped, mains and brights, but not on its own.

So I suppose not that different to other cars in the end...

Only have the Honda a month or two. Still getting used to it...
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm

....well I must confess that the one button that operates the high beam rear lights really come in handy when you got an ass creeper on your tail, without really braking and maybe cause an accident, just flick it a bit and see the creeper getting smaller in the rear view mirror :D :D :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie

Return to “123.45”