Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: SAR steam locos

Unread post by kudu177 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 pm

henkhugo wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:55 am
Christopher wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 pm
Anyway, back to steam...my own favourites have always been the big Garratts, despite the wonderful South African 15 class and 25 class (C and NC), both of which I admire.
You will be happy to hear that Ceres Rail is in the process of restoring a GMAM.

https://www.facebook.com/ceresrail
If you want to watch a real live drama in which a 220-ton steam engine is the heroine, grab a couple of beers and some popcorn and settle in. Because the fight that's brewing over that GMAM is just getting started.

There is also the working GMAM at Creighton in KZN (last ran on December 20).

Sandstone also owns a GMAM that is based at Germiston loco shed. She needs new tyres though and has been banned from running on Transnet lines until she gets them. Deep pockets needed. And once she has her tyres, you'll have to get permission from Pa Transnet to take her dancing ....
Wherever you go, there you are
henkhugo
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by henkhugo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 pm
henkhugo wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Anyway, back to steam...my own favourites have always been the big Garratts, despite the wonderful South African 15 class and 25 class (C and NC), both of which I admire.
You will be happy to hear that Ceres Rail is in the process of restoring a GMAM.

If you want to watch a real live drama in which a 220-ton steam engine is the heroine, grab a couple of beers and some popcorn and settle in. Because the fight that's brewing over that GMAM is just getting started.

There is also the working GMAM at Creighton in KZN (last ran on December 20).

Sandstone also owns a GMAM that is based at Germiston loco shed. She needs new tyres though and has been banned from running on Transnet lines until she gets them. Deep pockets needed. And once she has her tyres, you'll have to get permission from Pa Transnet to take her dancing ....
I dipped my little toe in the steam world a while ago and very quickly got out of that drama.
Henk
kudu177
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rand

Unread post by kudu177 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am

henkhugo wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm
I dipped my little toe in the steam world a while ago and very quickly got out of that drama.
Ja, there are some unpleasantly jealous and unkind people in that world. I am sure every activity and obsession has its own nasty folks but getting assaulted by a German photographer because I stepped out of the photo line during a runpast was, um, illuminating.
henkhugo
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by henkhugo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am

kudu177 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 am
henkhugo wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:03 pm
Ja, there are some unpleasantly jealous and unkind people in that world. I am sure every activity and obsession has its own nasty folks but getting assaulted by a German photographer because I stepped out of the photo line during a runpast was, um, illuminating.
oh my! I'll rather just pay my money and go for a ride.
Henk
henkhugo
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by henkhugo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 am

kudu177 wrote:
henkhugo wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Oh my my my. Just saw this on Facebook

GMA/M 4135 restoration update.

About a month ago it was announced that the locomotive was to be restored. Good, no great news I thought, sadly it was not all good news.

I have concluded from all the comments and now the legal activity regarding GMA/M Beyer-Garratt 4135 over the past few weeks that the issue is not the locomotive but one party trying to stop another from using it. At the center, it could be any locomotive, the behavior between the parties would be the same.

I’ve seen comments that can only be described as ignorant, comical, bizarre and, pathetic. In one case an interested rail enthusiast was threatened with being reported to the state rail authority for asking who the owner was. Like the state rail authority of South Africa gives a <<moderated - language>>.

I’ve had it explained to me repeatedly over the past month that this behavior is typical Afrikaans where one cannot stand the success of another.

Normal people would see that the two parties who would like to use the locomotive could draw up a contract to share the cost of overhaul and operation. After all, how many days a year could 4135 expect to operate in today’s South Africa with all the various restrictions on main line operation? But no, instead the Lawyers have taken over, and now the high court will decide who owns the locomotive. From what I’ve read, I do not even figure in the process and Mr. Seiler is only a spectator.

It is crystal clear that Bernd Seiler (FarRail Steam Tour Group Germany) and I purchased the locomotive from Ian Welsh of New Zealand. We paid the money into South Africa when no one else, NO ONE stepped forward.

I will use this time to publicly apologize to Mr. Seiler for getting him involved. I should have known better. I was warned and ignored the warnings.

My role was to bring the parties together, to purchase the locomotive, to initially stop it from being scrapped while a plan was sorted out to get it overhauled and put into tourist service.

Just look at all the money the Lawyers will make, money that could have gone into the restoration and transport of 4135 to the Cape.

A sad sad day for all preservation worldwide but particularly for South Africa. If you own or have an interest in a locomotive in that country – watch your backs and, your locomotive.
These users liked the author henkhugo for the post:
kudu177
Henk
kudu177
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by kudu177 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 am

henkhugo wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 am
kudu177 wrote:

Yip. As the song goes, "we've only just begun". :twisted:
\
henkhugo
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by henkhugo » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:42 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 am
henkhugo wrote:
kudu177 wrote:

\
Is it worth the fight? What is happening at Reef Steamers? Isnt that worth getting up and running again?
Henk
kudu177
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by kudu177 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 pm

henkhugo wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:42 pm
kudu177 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 am
henkhugo wrote:

\
Is it worth the fight? What is happening at Reef Steamers? Isnt that worth getting up and running again?
Well, the loco is in pretty good condition and has the muscle to run mountain trains in the Cape (assuming permission from Pa Transnet).

Reefsteamers has wonderful locos and superb engineering expertise and a great depot. But it became impossible to run trains because of signalling issues, staffing issues (pilots would routinely rock up late) and getting permission to operate on Transnet tracks and then getting put in the loop for every sodding slow-moving freight to pass.

Nothing like unhappy pax with smartphones, a grudge and a Twitter account to instantly trash your reputation.

Reefsteamers is being liquidated. I don't think it will return to running excursion trains, not unless there is serious and lasting cooperation from Transnet.

The guys who have got the model right are Umgeni Steam Railway. They run on the old Natal main Line which is leased from Transnet, the journey is just long enough not to be boring, the scenery is great, there is something to entrain the pax at the turnaround point, their loco is in tip-top shape (and the protracted rebuild of their second engine is nearly complete). And the loco really works hard for her money which thrills everybody.
These users liked the author kudu177 for the post:
Christopher

Return to “123.45”