danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 225 times

Corona Virus

Unread post by danie.e » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 am

Amazing that our armchair brigade has not yet started a chat on the Corona Virus, yet it affects travel and especially air travel worldwide.

So far, at a guesstimate of around 58 million people effectively quarantined, and assuming that all of them has contracted the virus, at the current death toll of less then 0.02% - we can expect around 11600 deaths attributable to the virus. That is less than our annual road carnage over the December holidays in South Africa yet the social media is rife with misinformation and efforts to create hysteria

At least the print industry is smiling. The virus is selling newspapers galore.

PS: I have at least a kilogram of popcorn ready :smt040 :smt040
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Chuck
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FLKK
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Corona Virus

Unread post by Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 am

Be complacent, the new virus is an absolute monster, 2-14 days incubation period, infection from asymptomatic persons during incubation, the virus spreads through aerosol droplets and from surfaces making the defense against infection difficult.
Do you feel you should be more or less aware of traffic during December holidays, does you government warn you of increased risk whilst traveling the road during this period, do you heed those warnings ?

Enjoy the popcorn, hope you washed your hands.
'What we find on internet, we readily believe, and what we ourselves find, we imagine others find also.'
Julius Ceasar, 44 BC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSvgPO7jNU
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 260 times

Unread post by Deanw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:56 am

Prediction vs Actual
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by Christo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:18 am

I do not think the numbers coming out of China is a accurate anyway.

Those South Africans now pleading our government to bring them home, no flippen way hozay, you can stay right there until this is over!
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 698 times
Been liked: 220 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 am

Meanwhile in Italy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 am

Interestingly according to the CNN website 15 million Americans have contracted flu (the ordinary varieties) and 8200 have died only this season.
About 1 in 10 to 20 people get flu in a particular year.

The death rate from Corona is about 2-3 %.

Mass panic? Probably, but we'll have to wait and see. Stock up on those healthy foods and vitamins, stop smoking and you'll be OK. 8-[
These users liked the author Iceberg for the post:
snoopy
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by excolonial » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 am

Agreed Iceberg, there are many many diseases kill many people, probably more than Corona, but zero reporting. Perhaps it is a memory of the flue pandemics of the last century and beyond that are behind it, or perhaps it is hype. The dietary and sanitary conditions of those times was clearly far worse than now, as was understanding and treatment.

On the other hand the antibiotic abuse that goes on in that whole region is quite alarming.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 243 times

Unread post by Roger » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 pm

danie.e wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:27 am
PS: I have at least a kilogram of popcorn ready :smt040 :smt040
Carefull, Popcorn has killed more than Corona and has been linked to Bronchiolitis obliterans(Popcorn Lung ).
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by danie.e » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Great to read some good posts. The lung issue with popcorn is actually quite serious. DO NOT INHALE through mouth while chewing. :roll:
Danie.e
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Johan7720
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: ORTIA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Johan7720 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

A interesting note . Tembisa hospital in Gauteng has been appointed as one of the hospitals to manage/treat persons with the virus. This is the same hospital where more than 10 infants have died due to a viral infection in the last month!
biffvj
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Polokwane Civil
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by biffvj » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Look at the amount of people that go into those hospitals for a basic op like an appendix removal and end up dying from sepsis.
You don't want to go there - ever.
Obscenities in speech indicate limited vocabulary.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Burner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:06 pm

I flew from Milan via Doha to Cape Town yesterday. Quite a large amount of people were wearing surgical masks leaving Milan. Doha hardly anyone, and no one on the Cape Town flight. Landing in CT prior to immigration, they were taking individual temperatures from each person with a digital thermometer in the ear. Not sure how effective it is, but its something I guess.
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by danie.e » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:31 pm

You can be sure that if the temp was outside spec laid down by the Dept of Health, you would have been taken one side immediately.
Danie.e
Chuck
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FLKK
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Burner wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:06 pm
I flew from Milan via Doha to Cape Town yesterday. Quite a large amount of people were wearing surgical masks leaving Milan. Doha hardly anyone, and no one on the Cape Town flight. Landing in CT prior to immigration, they were taking individual temperatures from each person with a digital thermometer in the ear. Not sure how effective it is, but its something I guess.
Not a all, people without symptoms (fever) can carry and spread the virus, even worse, infection may well happen through the ears. Do they clean these thermometers between each person ?
'What we find on internet, we readily believe, and what we ourselves find, we imagine others find also.'
Julius Ceasar, 44 BC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSvgPO7jNU
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Burner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Chuck wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm
Burner wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:06 pm
Not a all, people without symptoms (fever) can carry and spread the virus, even worse, infection may well happen through the ears. Do they clean these thermometers between each person ?
It was a "point and shoot from a distance" type thermometer, so no physical contact.

Return to “123.45”