Moderator: Moderators

angelwingsthesecond
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Aero rating on NPL?

Unread post by angelwingsthesecond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am

Hi,

I have been reading A LOT about the Sonex aircraft and been watching the progression of the ONEX with bated breath. So then I started to wonder, can you get your aerobatic rating on your NPL licence? These aircraft all are LSA types and aero rated... That's why I ask. ????
This is what I do, to pay for my flying. Check out http://bit.ly/Avcom
George

Re: Aero rating on NPL?

Unread post by George » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Not at the moment. Was a thread by Willem from RAASA on here a while back. They are looking into it.
angelwingsthesecond
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by angelwingsthesecond » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm

George wrote:Not at the moment. Was a thread by Willem from RAASA on here a while back. They are looking into it.
Thanks George, I hope that the outcome is favorable... That would make flying those (and other aero rated Aries) that much more fun to fly on an NPL.

Oom Willem, let us know the outcome of this... :D

Cheers!
angelwingsthesecond
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by angelwingsthesecond » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 pm

George wrote:Not at the moment. Was a thread by Willem from RAASA on here a while back. They are looking into it.
So willem any updates???????
WILDTHING
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by WILDTHING » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 am

Nothing yet, this is not an issue that we are actively working on at the moment as we have a number of other projects on the board.

However aerobatic ratings are contained under part 61 but endorsed in a pilot’s licence book.
The training and ratings are approved by the SAC "Sports Aerobatic Club" and issued by RAASA on behalf of the SAC as a separate or stand alone rating.
This could mean that you can obtain a Aerobatic irrespective of the licence that you hold i.e. LSA, Glider, PPL, etc.
The problem is that the planes used are all in excess if 600KG MTOW or don’t meet the requirements of an LSA.
IF you do Aerobatic training through SAC and the instructor remains the PIC then there is no reason why you can’t receive the training as long as you don’t fly without an aerobatic instructor as PIC.
Once you have the rating all you need to do is find an LSA that is approved for aerobatics and get type rated on this to fly solo or PIC.
I would recommend that you start by contacting the SAC and get the training on the go.
Try and find an LSA that is approved for full aerobatics, the alternate to upgrade to a PPL

Pierre
angelwingsthesecond
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by angelwingsthesecond » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:19 pm

WILDTHING wrote:Nothing yet, this is not an issue that we are actively working on at the moment as we have a number of other projects on the board.

However aerobatic ratings are contained under part 61 but endorsed in a pilot’s licence book.
The training and ratings are approved by the SAC "Sports Aerobatic Club" and issued by RAASA on behalf of the SAC as a separate or stand alone rating.
This could mean that you can obtain a Aerobatic irrespective of the licence that you hold i.e. LSA, Glider, PPL, etc.
The problem is that the planes used are all in excess if 600KG MTOW or don’t meet the requirements of an LSA.
IF you do Aerobatic training through SAC and the instructor remains the PIC then there is no reason why you can’t receive the training as long as you don’t fly without an aerobatic instructor as PIC.
Once you have the rating all you need to do is find an LSA that is approved for aerobatics and get type rated on this to fly solo or PIC.
I would recommend that you start by contacting the SAC and get the training on the go.
Try and find an LSA that is approved for full aerobatics, the alternate to upgrade to a PPL

Pierre
Pierre,

Thank you so much, if this info is all correct it is great and will mean I can fly AERO with the LSA I hope to start building in two years from now. The Aerie I hope to build and fly meets ALL the LSA requirements and is rated to +6G & -4G - Its fully aerobatic. Appreciate your response.

Cheers,

Jason
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Induna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm

WILDTHING wrote:Nothing yet, this is not an issue that we are actively working on at the moment as we have a number of other projects on the board.

Pierre
Hi

This is quite an old thread, but i think it is a valid point to ask if RAASA made progress up to now? What would the official process be to obtain such a rating on a NPL, as there are quite a few LSA aircraft that are approved for aerobatics.

Jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L

Return to “RAASA”