WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 158 times

WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 pm

With the recent midair accident in my mind, it would make sense if pilots could share their current live position on a WhatsApp group and a dedicated number for an area, same as changing radio frequencies.

Yes, it will only work up to cellphone tower reception height, but it's a lot more useful than not using it at all. In the case of an emergency at least Santjie could immediately focus on an area where the last transmission was transmitted instead of the current time it takes to get through paperwork before a network provider can help.
These users liked the author Neville Ferreira for the post (total 3):
Rotor kopWayne BoonzaierIKTAV
User avatar
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7980
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Location: Wherever there is good diamond gravels...
Has liked: 1257 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Rotor kop » Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 pm

I always send my live location to my wife and family. However a lot of the time my location gets "stuck" which causes alarm #-o Sometimes for hours.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4578
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 11:45 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 155 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Lood » Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Good idea.

I'm not sure whether it's the newer cell phones, or maybe the smaller tower footprints as the xxxG technology advances, but it seems to me that reception in the air is getting weaker?
I never had problems receiving SMS, WhatsApp and emails up to 10k ft, but these days, I get almost no useable signal above 7 - 8k ft - not even able to send an SMS anymore?
These users liked the author Lood for the post (total 2):
RDTMarcus7
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
User avatar
Raffles
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 pm
Closest Airfield: DFFD
Location: In the hold over the Silver Ball
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 117 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Raffles » Wed May 05, 2021 12:33 am

Use Telegram, it's a far superior platform IMHO. Yes it is dependent on the cellphone coverage. Of course, the success depends on if everyone uses it.
Ralph M Wigzell.
My Dave Clarks cost me R200 when 1 ZAR = 1 USD
Hindsight is what you see from the tailgunner position.
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 18075
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 524 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Ray W » Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am

I kinda like this idea but I have a problem with the pilot having his head inside the cockpit while he's reading messages, or typing them and knowing some peoples spelling :lol: - well, enough said.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
Ugly Duckling
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7658
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:24 pm
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Location: Waterkloof
Has liked: 825 times
Been liked: 808 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am

Ray W wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am
I kinda like this idea but I have a problem with the pilot having his head inside the cockpit while he's reading messages, or typing them and knowing some peoples spelling :lol: - well, enough said.
No need to Ray
We used live following for the Nylstroom Taildragger event. Activate it before takeoff and it reports the position to the recipient's phone. No inputs required along the way.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 18075
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 524 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Ray W » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am
Ray W wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am
I kinda like this idea but I have a problem with the pilot having his head inside the cockpit while he's reading messages, or typing them and knowing some peoples spelling :lol: - well, enough said.
No need to Ray
We used live following for the Nylstroom Taildragger event. Activate it before takeoff and it reports the position to the recipient's phone. No inputs required along the way.
Ok, but you still have to have your head inside the cockpit to read the messages.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
Dobbs
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:03 am
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Dobbs » Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am

Hi Ray, reading any messages, and having location tracking on whatsapp or Telegram are not in any way related.

There are no messages specific to location tracking while it is active.

I set it up before my pre flight and invariably forget to disable it, which happens automatically after 8 hours.
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 18075
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 524 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Ray W » Wed May 05, 2021 8:25 am

Dobbs wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am
Hi Ray, reading any messages, and having location tracking on whatsapp or Telegram are not in any way related.

There are no messages specific to location tracking while it is active.

I set it up before my pre flight and invariably forget to disable it, which happens automatically after 8 hours.
Thanks.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 158 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am

This is my current location with my profile pic. You will see the position and type flown if profile pic is what you are flying at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
tansg
Left downwind (unmanned)
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:29 pm
Closest Airfield: OMAA
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by tansg » Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am

Lood wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm
Good idea.

I'm not sure whether it's the newer cell phones, or maybe the smaller tower footprints as the xxxG technology advances, but it seems to me that reception in the air is getting weaker?
I never had problems receiving SMS, WhatsApp and emails up to 10k ft, but these days, I get almost no useable signal above 7 - 8k ft - not even able to send an SMS anymore?
The 4G LTE system was never designed for a vertical transmission footprint it was foreseen as a largely lateral type system but with enough coverage to service most tall buildings. The normal vertical coverage is 10,000ft but this depends in the transmitter, transmission antenna type and whether any transmission pattern tweaking has been done on that antenna. Further you need to take the local conditions in the area of the antenna into account as it may impact transmission performance. Further the spacing of the antennas in especially rural areas will leave gaps in vertical coverage.

The good news is that 5G antenna have been designed for vertical coverage and will have a much better coverage at higher altitudes, but again within the constraints mentioned above.

Hope that helps colour in the picture.
These users liked the author tansg for the post:
Euro Flyer
User avatar
IMPI
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:26 pm
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Location: Durbanville
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by IMPI » Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Neville Ferreira wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am
This is my current location with my profile pic. You will see the position and type flown if profile pic is what you are flying at the time.
Hi all

How would one set this facility up on either Telegram / WhatsApp / Google Maps / Waze etc, please

Thanks
Chris
'Never trade skill for luck'
I put the fun back into dys"fun"ctional
Chris Lambert
Durbanville
FASH/FAFK/Morningstar
Dobbs
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:03 am
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Dobbs » Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi Chris, I only know how on whatsapp and Telegram, and will use whatsapp in this example - in whatsapp, choose the contact that you want to share your location with, then instead of writing a message, tap on the paper clip, then some options come up, tap on Location, share live location, tap on the duration that you want to share for, and then tap the send button
These users liked the author Dobbs for the post (total 2):
Ugly DucklingJohan Swakopmund
User avatar
IMPI
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:26 pm
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Location: Durbanville
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by IMPI » Thu May 06, 2021 8:49 am

Dobbs wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm
Hi Chris, I only know how on whatsapp and Telegram, and will use whatsapp in this example - in whatsapp, choose the contact that you want to share your location with, then instead of writing a message, tap on the paper clip, then some options come up, tap on Location, share live location, tap on the duration that you want to share for, and then tap the send button
Thanks so much Dobbs

So you live and learn...

Best wishes
Chris
'Never trade skill for luck'
I put the fun back into dys"fun"ctional
Chris Lambert
Durbanville
FASH/FAFK/Morningstar
User avatar
Johan Swakopmund
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:59 am
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: WhatsApp Live position sharing recommended.

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Thu May 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Watched in aw when telkom installed the new technology called fax machine in our office.
Then the first fax came through , just amazing.
1975 cannot believe looking at the round circle with colours when television was introduced
with test programs now and then.
Then handheld telephones came in called cellphones.

And from that day i got lost until today
Its a pain in the ass to be older than 65

Johan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”