Ravin Aircraft down in Camperdown - 15 March 2014

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Calle_Hedberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Ravin Aircraft down in Camperdown - 15 March 2014

Unread post by Calle_Hedberg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi

I think flutter was ruled out for this accident - no evidence of it. The main spar broke exactly where it can be expected to break in case of excessive (>8G) G loads.

Regards
calle
Flying troll...
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Calle_Hedberg wrote:Hi

I think flutter was ruled out for this accident - no evidence of it. The main spar broke exactly where it can be expected to break in case of excessive (>8G) G loads.

Regards
calle
Calle, if you look back at the beginning of the thread it was reportedly flying straight and level when it broke. 8G load unlikely?

If the entire wing went into torsional oscillation (flutter) the maximum torsional moment would be at the root and it will break there in torsion - to the untrained eye the failure mode would be difficult to distinguish from a pure bending failure.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by ddevos » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Iceberg wrote:Calle, if you look back at the beginning of the thread it was reportedly flying straight and level when it broke. 8G load unlikely?

If the entire wing went into torsional oscillation (flutter) the maximum torsional moment would be at the root and it will break there in torsion - to the untrained eye the failure mode would be difficult to distinguish from a pure bending failure.
I thought I either read somewhere in this thread or heard someone say somewhere that there was indeed a pull-up...
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by Volo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

I still put my money on PIO's . A single rapid movement @ or near VNE which it seems it might have been, by an untrained hand as in someone used to the soggy controls of a "tincan" and its allover .
By the third out of sinc cycle you wont get your arm up to control the aircraft . The loads at this point are anyone's guess but could easily take the wings off in a straight mainspar failure which appears to have been the case here . Calle's knowledge of the aircraft might confirm this ?
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 352 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 pm

I seem to remember there was some previous damage to the aircraft (maybe the tailplane?). Anyone remember this?

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Calle_Hedberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Calle_Hedberg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi,

I'm not going to read through 27 pages of posts to see what's been said or not said, but it is clear that they were planning a high-speed fly-by so the start of this sequence was a dive at more or less full power. As far as I know, the pilot in the left seat (first time in a Ravin) had mostly experience with flying Piper Arrow aircraft (or something like that, which is much less sensitive in pitch at high speeds than the Comanche/Ravin). Remember that the Ravin control sensitivity by necessity will be a compromise, since the speed range goes from ~55KIAS (very mushy controls) to a Vne of 243KIAS (very sensitive). The aircraft had no damage history that I'm aware of.

The instructor in the right seat had more experience, of course, but my guess is that the upset might have happened to fast for him to react. I'm guessing here, but I've had many upsets (at slower speeds) due to moderate turbulence or wind-shear over the last 7 years of flying Troll Air - and it usually takes a second or two before you get your "wits back" when your intestines get displaced and your headset fly, if you get my drift.

I don't like using derogatory terms to describe pilot errors of various kinds, but many accidents are basically of the "should not have happened" type:
- It is not wise to put a new pilot on the controls of a high-performance aircraft and then almost immediately take it close to Vne for a fly-by (which they called the airfield on beforehand to announce).
- it is not smart to do a barrel roll 100ft above the runway, especially when you know you've lost up to 800ft in similar rolls at higher altitudes some weeks before (ref Potch Ravin accident)
- it is not smart to fly into thunderstorms, or do scud-running up mountain valleys, or a lot of other things SA pilots have done over the last few years (we have discussed most of them at length here at the Academy).

Anyway, I'm also a bit disappointed that the CAA takes so long to finalise and release the report. Even if they are unable to give decisive answers - as is the case with many accidents - I cannot see such answers becoming more likely as time goes by... Better to get a report out with "root cause unknown or uncertain" than to stuff it into a drawer.

I think the technical assessment done by that Engineer team from Potch (total mental curtain on their names now, but it's those guys who have designed a range of brilliant gliders) was completed 1.5 years ago. I do believe they ascertained that the main spar broke where expected when over-stressed, but I guess it would be very difficult for the engineers to ascertain the exact root sequence of events that lead to the over-stress, in the absence of video and/or EFIS logger data.

Video data made it far easier to nail down the root cause of the Potch accident - all experts reviewing the footage concluded it was a botched barrel roll at low level. So that report came out quickly.

Best regards from a sunny Norway
Calle
Flying troll...
mikev
Circuit re-established
Closest Airfield: FAKD
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by mikev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 pm

I think the technical assessment done by that Engineer team from Potch (total mental curtain on their names now, but it's those guys who have designed a range of brilliant gliders) was completed 1.5 years ago. I do believe they ascertained that the main spar broke where expected when over-stressed, but I guess it would be very difficult for the engineers to ascertain the exact root sequence of events that lead to the over-stress, in the absence of video and/or EFIS logger data.
Attie Jonker from Jonker Sailplanes. Definitely not an untrained eye!
Lions ikke miste søvn over vurderingene av sau
JoziFlyer
Lining Up
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by JoziFlyer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Calle_Hedberg wrote:
Calle
When flutter occurs, does it not usually begin in a control surface? And if so, that control surface hinge would probably be the weak point and first to fail - long before a wing spar could be compromised?
PA28/32
C150/172/182
Vans RV4/6
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 352 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 pm

JoziFlyer wrote:
When flutter occurs, does it not usually begin in a control surface? And if so, that control surface hinge would probably be the weak point and first to fail - long before a wing spar could be compromised?
Jozi, when flutter starts anything can go. I have seen photos of a glass aircraft where the skin simply delaminates and the wing just falls apart.

It is unbelievably violent.

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
JoziFlyer
Lining Up
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by JoziFlyer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Jozi, when flutter starts anything can go. I have seen photos of a glass aircraft where the skin simply delaminates and the wing just falls apart.

It is unbelievably violent.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I just watched the Tacoma Narrows bridge video. As you say, violent forces! A good reason to respect that red arc.
PA28/32
C150/172/182
Vans RV4/6
Scaffel
Engine Cranking
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Scaffel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Still no accident report?
airdale
Take off Clearance
Been liked: 0

Unread post by airdale » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am

Do anybody know if this accident report was finalised?
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 302 times

Unread post by cage » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 am

airdale wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 am
Do anybody know if this accident report was finalised?
If you mail the head of the accident dept at the CAA (can be found in the contacts page of caa.co.za).
Give them the date and the reg and they will send you what they have.
Previous requests have been serviced in around a day, assuming no one is on holiday.
PRDT
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FAWB Wonderboom
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by PRDT » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 am

Accident Report

http://caa.co.za/Accidents%20and%20Inci ... s/9249.pdf

“Probable Cause

The pilot executed a typical high speed fly past manoeuvre along runway 15. During the pull-up from high speed flight at low level, the elevator trim tab separated with the elevator resulting in the elevator separating with the fuselage. During the in-flight break-up the left wing and right wing respectively separated with the fuselage prior to the aircraft impacting the ground.”

“It is probable that the aircraft was flown above VNE (243kt) when the pilot pulled up which led to the elevator trim tab separating with the elevator resulting in the separation of the elevator from the fuselage. During the in-flight break-up the left wing and right wing respectively separated with the fuselage prior to the aircraft impacting the ground.”
Philip du Toit
Piper Comanche ZS-RWM
vindog
Mags Dead Cut
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by vindog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:04 pm

I witnessed this accident. There was no pull up.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”