Twin down in Glen Austin Midrand

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Peregrine
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Twin down in Glen Austin Midrand

Unread post by Peregrine » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 am

Fransw wrote:Cool! 8)
Pity about the shoes...
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by dany » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Dupont make also some FR clothing.
I am in Namibia for some time, thus cannot visit one of their stores. This kind of stuff one need to buy with your eyes and hands.
Du Pont de Nemours South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
1st Level Block B
34 Whiteley Road
Melrose Arch
ATHOLL 2196
South Africa Telephone:Â +27 11 218 8600
Fax:Â +27 11 218 8661

Cape Town Danisco BV
33 Kunene Circle
Omuramba Park
Montague Gardens
7441 Cape Town Tel: +27 21 5265600

Delmas Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (Pty) Ltd
Olifantsfontein
2210 Delmas Tel: +27 82 8888381

Johannesburg Danisco BV
40 Tsessebe Crescent
Corporate Park South
Midrand
1685 Johannesburg Tel: +27 11 635 9900

Melrose DuPont de Nemours International S.A.
Block B 1st Floor
34 Whiteley Road
Melrose Arch
2196 Melrose Tel: +27 (0) 11 218 8600

Rosslyn Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (Pty) Ltd
97 Sloane Street
201 Rosslyn Tel: +27125640300
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by paulw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks Dan y

I see one is in Rosslyn which is one of the reporting points of Wonderboom. Nice and close for FAWB pilots.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Silver Falcon
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Riversdale
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Silver Falcon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:31 pm

jimdavis wrote:While I agree with these sentiments, the practicality is that most folks are not gong to buy fire resistant overalls,

And how can you explain to your pax, that you, as the pilot, don't want to endanger yourself - but to hell with them? Isn't this like wearing a parachute and your pax have none?

I think a sensible step would be to buy fire resistant clothing - jacket, longs, shirt, underwear, socks etc. And keep a pair of soft leather gloves nearby - or better still wear them all the time, Your hands are your most precious appendages - and they are the first to suffer in a fire-because you use them to deal with the fire.

Simply wearing the right clothing takes you a long way towards the ideal without causing a fuss or embarrassment. Obviously advising your pax, particularly regular ones, to do the same, is the right thing to do.

Jim
I agree 100% that all pilots should think about this ....it could only save lives !!
Wingman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Grand Central Airport
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Wingman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 am

Can I be naughty:
I follow protecting the "crew" aspect during training. How about the poor pax tagging along after the book?

I ask because from observation "after training" most of GA is driven by guys wishing to fulfill their flying dreams (some don't even want to fly comm) so they can share their passion with girlfriend/boyfriend/family/friends etc. I doubt anyone would feel safe to come along seeing you the pilot don from head to toe they can barely see anymore of you while they are in a pair of flops, shorts and t-shirt.
You don't learn to fly you learn to discover yourself ..... the plane is just an excuse.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 352 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Wingman wrote:Can I be naughty:
I follow protecting the "crew" aspect during training. How about the poor pax tagging along after the book?

I ask because from observation "after training" most of GA is driven by guys wishing to fulfill their flying dreams (some don't even want to fly comm) so they can share their passion with girlfriend/boyfriend/family/friends etc. I doubt anyone would feel safe to come along seeing you the pilot don from head to toe they can barely see anymore of you while they are in a pair of flops, shorts and t-shirt.
Wingers, I have bleated about that twice on this thread. No one is listening - not even you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Wingman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Wingman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Wingman wrote:Can I be naughty:

Wingers, I have bleated about that twice on this thread. No one is listening - not even you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
Ooops!
Then I clearly did not do a good job while reading all pages.So you are also with me that it's not practical!
I guess the short answer is that if you taking pax ask them to wear cotton --- doesn't help put a lot of faith in you as their family pilot :lol: .
You don't learn to fly you learn to discover yourself ..... the plane is just an excuse.
Sea Rescue
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Sea Rescue » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi Guys,
With reference to the last couple of posts - I mentioned much earlier on, that "Private" flying is different from "business flying" in as much as when you and your friends go for "a flip" - or a "Fly-In Breakfast" - Pilot AND Pax should be wearing protective clothing ??

This comment of :" See, it is not practical" - in my opinion is "Hogwash" !! - I also owned a yacht and whilst I have at this stage sold it, guess what ? - I still have a dozen "Life-Jackets of various sizes" !! - I shall shortly farm them out to my boating children.

After joining Sea Rescue - it got "drummed" into us, that it IS a MIND-SET which YOU must DEVELOP to gain the benefit of a safer operation !! Now, when I go to sea - the first thing I do is - "Life-Jacket" !!! - it soon grows on you. At Sea Rescue, if you are not wearing a Life-Jacket - please HOP-OFF the vessel !! - end of story !! ( Ask Winchman if you don't believe me, he was our Station Commander.)

So in your leisure flying ?? - you have friends who want to come along ?? C'mon guys - at the Rand /Dollar rate who can afford to own aircraft with more than 4 to 6 seats nowadays ?? So I would make sure that I had Fire Resistant suits for my wife and adult kids who were still in the house ? Friends want to come along - lend them a pair ? - if they often want to fly-along ? - let them buy their own suits ??
But make them aware of the added safety and enjoy the peace of mind it brings !!
Enough said ? - you do it your way - but believe me - we either do it ? - or suffer the consequences - as easy as that! I would NOT want to compromise any person's life by NOT doing it !! - seen too much tragedy to turn a blind eye!

But as many have posted, and I agree with you - after THIS ACCIDENT - any private flyer and his pack or pax is involved in a mishap - and they could have walked away - but receive 3rd Degree burns whilst trying to vacate - then die between 3 and 6 days later - will only have THEMSELVES to blame ??

Professional Aviation is a different kettle of fish - I hear, but it IS conducted VERY differently - but, buT, BUT !!! - NO REASON NOT TO HAVE NEAT fire resistant clothing for WHEN you DO embark on a flying trip - even it IS with the Airline ?? I often had cotton wear for just that - but I gather much better is now available in the market place ! - Why not get some - I know the feeling it gives you when you look at the man or woman next to you and you think :" What a dumb clot this is - gives himself NO CHANCE whatsoever ?"

THINK SAFETY !
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by paulw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Sea Rescue, I totally agree with you. I have my flight suit and 2 extra which I give to pax to use if it fit them.
I want to get more eventually aslo because the two spare are Mustangs which are a bit hot to wear so I want cooler one's.

Someone mentioned sometimes the flightsuits are to hot to wear but I don't agree. I wear mine with just underwear underneath it and then it is nice and cool. Cooler than normal clothes.

I also want to look at the Du Pont shop in Rosslyn Dany was talking about as I want fire retardant socks and shoe's.
( maybe also a good fitting balaclava as mine is a size too big)
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
dany
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: moscow
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by dany » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I do not know if all the shops stock FR clothing but they surely can get any Dupont products. FR clothing is not the sort of thing that is popular here,and one reason why we import.
Wingman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Wingman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:54 pm

The link posted earlier:
http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/appa ... t-clothing

.... has decently priced normal looking clothes but that are totally FR.
One can still dress perfectly normal but in the background know that will leave burns to non-essential parts of the body - we can easily graft skin back from elsewhere :wink: .
ebribur
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by ebribur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:52 am

We flew her fast but not too high
We'll never ever tell you why
Something bout her wasn't right
Our last flight that Autumn night

The ground was rising in the dusk
To pull her up we gave her thrust

She gave it all her very best
And on-board we tried the rest

We flew her fast but not too high

Fly in Heaven David Mathewson (Instructor) Shingai Nazare (Student) and Newton Mbeikya (Observor).
Last edited by ebribur on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of free energy lies in 3..6..9!
My energy will ebb and flow
Pulse me fast then pulse me slow
Fly me high then fly me low
To use my power don’t be silly
Just spin me round elliptically

3rd degree mason of the 69's
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 352 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am

ebribur wrote:We flew her fast but not to high

The ground was rising in the dusk
To pull her up we gave her thrust

She gave it all her very best
And we gave it all the rest

We flew her fast but not to high
I don't even like poetry, but this really got to me! So I googled it - and it's not there :shock:

I can only conclude that we have a very talented poet in our midst. You wrote it, Ebribur? Brilliant =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Two things: the first line should be "...too high". The next is where do you get the name Ebribur?

Jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
ebribur
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by ebribur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Jim,

ebribur is my call sign. BRI for my 1st 3 letters of my 1st name and BUR for the 1st second letters of my 2nd name. The e is a longer story. I was meant to go to the RAF when I was 18 but my old lady did not want me to fly fighter jets in someone else's war. So I was sent to do engineering instead and gave up my flying for a few years.

Hopefully time permitting I will be able to make a difference to both before I leave this world. Over-unity is possible on electric motors so my dream is to get them into production on aircraft one day so we don't have to carry gallons of flammable fuel with us.

Brian Burns (ebribur)
The secret of free energy lies in 3..6..9!
My energy will ebb and flow
Pulse me fast then pulse me slow
Fly me high then fly me low
To use my power don’t be silly
Just spin me round elliptically

3rd degree mason of the 69's
HJK 414
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: abcd
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 282 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:53 pm

ebribur wrote:...........Hopefully time permitting I will be able to make a difference to both before I leave this world. Over-unity is possible on electric motors so my dream is to get them into production on aircraft one day so we don't have to carry gallons of flammable fuel with us.

Brian Burns (ebribur)
Brian - welcome .....
Over-unity ........ =D> ........ as a study or as a hobby ??
There is a lot of talk about it - but for the time being - I have never seen it displayed to a level whereby it could be used in aviation - safely ...... Perpetuem Mobile ...? ...as with the iirc Watson ? - magnetic chain and ball ?? ..... That was a discussion it is own right ....

JK

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”