C210 wing spar failure in Aus : C177 inspection recommended as well

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Carel
Drinking Cooldrink at clubhouse
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: C210 wing spar failure in Aus

Unread post by Carel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 am

There were SID's for C210's to comply with a year or two ago that checked on the wing spar. Was this not for the same reason?
Advice is what we ask when we already know the answer but wish we didn't...
spokes
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: Siver Creek
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by spokes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:39 am

I'm not an engineer but where the crack starts a straight line( bottom of carry through) meets a straight line (diagonal section) with a corner not a curve. Shurely if that whole bottom section was curved this wouldn't happen?
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 228 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am

Difficult to know what is pre-crash crack leading to the failure and then impact damage.
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Cab
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by StressMerchant » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 pm

The fatigue zone looks fairly clear, but what I don't see is a clear initiation defect. Often you can see a clear staring point coming from a gouge, or a poor quality holes, or something similar.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams
Starship
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Starship » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am
Difficult to know what is pre-crash crack leading to the failure and then impact damage.
The wing departed from the aircraft before it crashed and was found 90m from the initial impact zone. I think it safe to say there was no impact damage to the spar.
VH-SUX Wing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks, you are a Star :lol:
Long time Cygnet builder
Starship
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Starship » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:12 pm

StressMerchant wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 pm
The fatigue zone looks fairly clear, but what I don't see is a clear initiation defect. Often you can see a clear staring point coming from a gouge, or a poor quality holes, or something similar.

Here is a highly detailed photo (5288 X 2844 pixels) of the cracked spar. The crack initiated 290mm inboard of right wing fuselage attachment lugs and coincident with a change in section thickness of the lower flange. The crack started on the underside of the flange and grew horizontally before penetrating the vertical part of the structure. (Photo Credits: ATSB)
VH SUX Spar Fatigue Crack.jpg
VH-SUX Diagram.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by StressMerchant » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm

It is an unusual place to start. Although it is a change in section, the change is fairly smooth. Would not have expected a major stress raiser to form.

They should be able to get an idea of the crack initiation and growth rate, I wonder if this is a manufacturing defect or later damage.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm

StressMerchant wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:27 pm
It is an unusual place to start. Although it is a change in section, the change is fairly smooth. Would not have expected a major stress raiser to form.

They should be able to get an idea of the crack initiation and growth rate, I wonder if this is a manufacturing defect or later damage.
Well, I only have one semester of metallurgy, and that was 25 years ago... The coarse structure of the fracture area looks like work hardened metal. Basically just fatigued until the metal was too brittle to hold, then cracked from the highest stress point.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Starship
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Starship » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 pm

When these Cessna 100/200 series aircraft were built, Cessna expected them to have a life span of around 20 years. As things turned out many are now considerably older - in the case of the C210, the youngest is 33 years old, production having ceased in 1986. Thus corrosion has become a factor and the placement of the carry thru spar does not encourage regular inspection. Firstly the upper wing surfaces are riveted to the forward and aft spar flanges and beneath, it is hidden from view by the headliner, fuel pipes, electrical cables and flight control cables. The spars were originally installed without the benefit of any corrosion inhibitor and depending upon the location the aircraft is used, corrosion can become a very real problem. Thus any C210 used in a coastal environment (I'm thinking all those V5 registered C210s doing desolated diamond coast scenic tours) are particular prone to this problem. They also often fly with near maximum payloads of 700kg. An aircraft cabin is like a greenhouse and the spar sits up top where moisture accumulates. So in order to do a videoscope inspection the headliner has to come out and if corrosion is detected, the whole thing will probably have to be removed in order to inspect it properly. Removing the wings and carry-thru spar is about 120 hours of work and once removed there is nothing holding the front and rear of the aircraft together except the floor, so that needs to be properly supported.

As I mentioned in an earlier post these carry-thru spars are no longer available new from Textron. The last price I have from about two years ago was $27,485 (R390,000) in the USA.

A good used carry-thru spar that has been inspected, corrosion treated and epoxy coated such as this 1976 Cessna 177B Cardinal one with appropriate paperwork, will cost $3,950.00 (approximately R55,621).
Cardinal carry thru spar diagonal.jpg
These users liked the author Starship for the post (total 2):
mnmodelsTinTin
Starship
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Starship » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am

Back in April 2010, you may recall a Cessna C210N V5-BAT came apart in the air north of Swakopmund. I have to ponder whether metal fatigue and a possible wing spar failure were not the cause? The Namibian CAA does not make public, accident reports and I have no idea if they are willing to send one on request. I did, however, find a news report from some ten months later wherein they state that a definitive cause could not be determined.
Namibian.1.png
Namibian.2.png
In the Avcom topic on the tragedy, a witness claimed to have seen the aircraft rolling. It was a third party report and it didn't state whether it was barrel rolling or a loop and I only state loop because the investigator suggested that the pilot may have pulled back hard on the control column as the speed dropped from 177 knots to 88. That sounded like rubbish to me. Now, what happens if a wing comes off? The aircraft rolls as is evident from this video taken in Argentina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVxp_gyTcI

In the case of V5-BAT would metal fatigue even have been considered? It was a 1982 model which would have made it 28 years old at the time. Those V5 registered C210s work in arduous conditions, where corrosion can be a very real problem.

V5-AMY.jpg
These users liked the author Starship for the post:
rare bird
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by StressMerchant » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am

- Douglas Adams
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 am

StressMerchant wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am
Some more info.

https://www.casa.gov.au/files/awb-53-01 ... rough-spar
Thanks Stress
C177 included in the inspection
Long time Cygnet builder
Starship
1k poster
1k poster

Re: C210 wing spar failure in Aus : C177 inspection recommended as well

Unread post by Starship » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 am

Cessna built 9,240 C210s of which it would appear 3,165 are still registered in the USA and countless others around the world. There are about 237 on the SA Register. Given that these spars could become a very real problem going forward, what are the chances that they will be put back into production?
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: C210 wing spar failure in Aus : C177 inspection recommended as well

Unread post by Christopher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am

I do not know whether or not corrosion-proofing was available as an option on C210s; but it certainly <was> available on C310s. The pair of 310s operated by AOC at FAVG were both corrosion-proofed at the factory as an optional extra and I do remember that the wings were always seen as being in <perfect> condition by Comair engineering staff when in for maintenance (or Aero Engineering, previously, when that organization was still extant in the northern-most hanger at Virginia - next to Pikkie Rautenbach) These two aircraft (-FLL was one: I forget the other's reg. -- -FDK, perhaps?) operated over sea, at fairly low-level, on roughly six-hour whale-spotting duties, daily in the season, and consequently were very exposed to salty atmosphere. (They were both equipped, also, with wing-locker tanks). (Edit: second 310 was -FJK)

You would have thought that <all> aircraft should be so treated at the factory, wouldn't you?
Last edited by Christopher on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”