Radial Rocket down at Bara

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 355 times

Re: Radial Rocket down at Bara

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 am

Airwayfreak wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 am
The test pilot told me he had a moment of indecision when he changed from a touch and go to a full stop landing whilst on the landing roll and that he may have misused the throttle a bit and this moment of indecision probably contributed to him losing it.
Thanks for the info AWF. The truth will out. And congratulations to the pilot for his honesty. =D> =D> =D>

It's obviously a twitchy bitchy that doesn't tolerate indecision.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post:
Dragon
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:46 am

Airwayfreak wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 am
AEH wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:50 am
Hi Jim. When we fail to identify any definite cause we take the easy option of blaming the pilot particularly if they are dead. I am raising awareness that just because we fail to find a definitive cause we must not assume pilot error.

Accident investigation is the only discipline that I know of that brings together every other science. The initial focus is on WHAT occurred but future accident prevention needs to establish the much harder element of WHY. Sometimes we just do not have the right answers.
Plenty of speculation here. The test pilot told me he had a moment of indecision when he changed from a touch and go to a full stop landing whilst on the landing roll and that he may have misused the throttle a bit and this moment of indecision probably contributed to him losing it.

All taildragger pilots will know that a landing is not complete until the aircraft has been parked in the hangar. And this Radial Rocket is a monster taildragger. My sympathies are with the pilot. These things can happen to anybody
The closest I have come to a groundloop so far is during a high speed abort in an RV8 at Nampo years ago with about a 10kt X-wind from the left. First mistake, I was in a rush (needed to get back to the reef before sunset), second mistake was the abort (at +-Vlof) for something I should have carried into the air. Thanks to having the forgiveness of a grass take-off, the aircraft stayed straight and the only damage was a broken tail chain link. A quick fix by the ever ready Cliff Lotter had me in the air again 10mins later. A late change in mind from a touch and go or high speed abort, not thought through properly can bite, esp in a taildragger.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
fvheerden
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Bapsfontein
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by fvheerden » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 am

Looks like she needs a ton of rudder input on landing to keep the nose steady
FvHeerden

Irene Radio Flyers
agairinc
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: 65MO
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by agairinc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm
The recently completed Radial Rocket ZU-IJP has been involved in an accident at Bara-G
Undercarriage ripped off and damaged propeller
I dont know further details but it looks like nobody was hurt other than the plane
So very unfortunate. Sounds like things could’ve been worse. I would’ve been more than happy to talk with the test pilot on some” do’s and dont’s” ,power management, speeds, throttle response, sink rates, etc. , on the test flight program, as I test flew mine as well from a 2000’ grass airstrip 8 years ago . I’d been trying to find out how it went only to learn of this today. It’s a beautiful Rocket.
agairinc
Wanna Fly

Unread post by agairinc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:11 pm

STEEL wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 am
That vert stab and rudder seems very small for the size of aircraft.
How much of that is blanked off by the fuse during the 3-point attitude coming into land,
making controlling even more of a handful at the lower airspeeds on the ground.

You can see the rudder working hard in the video...
It’s a very responsive airplane in all axis even at lower speeds. Well at least above 80 kts.
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 574 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Anyone know how the repairs are going ?
I never got to see it first time round but would love to get some pics next time
Frank Persson
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Baragwanath Rand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Frank Persson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:12 am

I am told minimal damage so almost complete.New undercarriage including completely new tail wheel design
of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most
agairinc
Wanna Fly

Unread post by agairinc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm
jungmann303 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am
heisan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

Would they have had enough runway for a wheeler? Looks like a 3-pointer on the numbers, with aggressive breaking, used about 3/4 of the runway...
ONLY 3 pointer landing on this aircraft should be applicable, there is no any problems with the airframe controlling authority, condition that, all the systems are working correctly, which wasn't a case during the maiden flight.
Why do you say “only 3 pointer” . What do you base this on. What would your advice then be on an RV8 or pacer then , and what experience level do you base that on - just asking
A true wheel landing in this airplane will garner a touchdown speed of around 90-95kts, which is fast. I typically touch down somewhere in the middle between there and three point at around 75kts. 85 -90 kts is a comfortable ref speed although some don’t like the fact that you can’t see over the nose that slow.
agairinc
Wanna Fly

Unread post by agairinc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 pm

fvheerden wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 am
Looks like she needs a ton of rudder input on landing to keep the nose steady
Not really, it’s very responsive. He was over controlling with his feet on the brakes as well.
These users liked the author agairinc for the post:
fvheerden

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”