RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Zone outbound
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am

It seems that the CAA is targeting only the fact that the aircraft landed at ORT with only a minor mention of the taxiway. Surely this isn’t correct?
These users liked the author Mrb13676 for the post:
krjockey
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
User avatar
JimmyZ
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Location: Gauteng
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by JimmyZ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:36 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am
It seems that the CAA is targeting only the fact that the aircraft landed at ORT with only a minor mention of the taxiway. Surely this isn’t correct?
Yes, surely landing on the taxiway is the big issue here. From the media statement it seems as if landing an amateur built plane at ORT is the issue. Also why mention the bit about PPL's not being allowed to do commercial ops? How is that relevant to this incident? Or was it determined the PPL pilot charged his friend for the dropoff? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

The CAA is out for blood. I just hope that general aviation doesn't end up paying the price.
User avatar
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8805
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Joeys
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by richard C » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 am

What does it cost to Uber from Rand to Tambo ?

I mean, surely anybody who can afford to buy and own an RV-10 and operate it would have the wherewithal to file a flight plan.

If there was a flight plan then he was Airside officially, so most of this report would be moot.

So if he did arrive at Tambo unexpected, as this report seems to indicate, then - truly, really, what was he thinking ????

Not a single thing here makes sense - did he arrive without a radio call ? Seems extremely unlikely. If he had no flight plan, ATC would not hesitate to vacate him from the airspace poste haste. They would chase you off and log an excursion.

So either this was some wealthy, entitled fella who felt fkl to crash ORT airspace and land unannounced on the first bit of empty tar to drop his mates off (just seems HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely), or this guy filed a flightplan, was cleared to land by ATC, and lost SA as to where he was supposed to land.

Then why has Poppy pulled out the pitchforks ? And what can the rest of us expect as fall-out from this bizarre incident ?
These users liked the author richard C for the post (total 2):
DarrenAlan Robertson
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 16670
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 141 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Ray W » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 am

richard C wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 am
What does it cost to Uber from Rand to Tambo ?

I mean, surely anybody who can afford to buy and own an RV-10 and operate it would have the wherewithal to file a flight plan.

If there was a flight plan then he was Airside officially, so most of this report would be moot.

So if he did arrive at Tambo unexpected, as this report seems to indicate, then - truly, really, what was he thinking ????

Not a single thing here makes sense - did he arrive without a radio call ? Seems extremely unlikely. If he had no flight plan, ATC would not hesitate to vacate him from the airspace poste haste. They would chase you off and log an excursion.

So either this was some wealthy, entitled fella who felt fkl to crash ORT airspace and land unannounced on the first bit of empty tar to drop his mates off (just seems HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely), or this guy filed a flightplan, was cleared to land by ATC, and lost SA as to where he was supposed to land.

Then why has Poppy pulled out the pitchforks ? And what can the rest of us expect as fall-out from this bizarre incident ?
I have it on good authority that he did file a flight plan and was in contact with ATC. This whole incident has got completely out of hand.
These users liked the author Ray W for the post (total 4):
JimmyZACE MANMrb13676Darren
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6553
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:04 pm
Closest Airfield: Pyramid Air Park
Location: Pyramid Air Park-Barberton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by PJL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:13 am

Agree, the pilot made a judgement error, he is human.

PJL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
richard C
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8805
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Joeys
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by richard C » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am

…not judging by the CAA's response.

Before this statement was issued, it was surely confirmed there was a flight plan and that ATC granted landing clearance.

So why would their statement be worded the way it is ?
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
User avatar
Darren
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: JHB
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Darren » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm

richard C wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am
…not judging by the CAA's response.

Before this statement was issued, it was surely confirmed there was a flight plan and that ATC granted landing clearance.

So why would their statement be worded the way it is ?
It's a really bizarre response. Takes two pages to say about two paragraphs worth of actual information, and not only unnecessary quotes the director (not commonly done for a release like this) but quotes her for a whole bunch of unrelated statements.

Drafting something like this would get you a failing grade in any PR writing class.
User avatar
Vogoff
Take off Clearance
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Vogoff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:53 pm

richard C wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 am
If there was a flight plan then he was Airside officially, so most of this report would be moot.
I'm confused about this requirement for a flight plan? He took off from an uncontrolled airfield, so one was not even required. So long as he entered OR Thambo airspace after receiving permission from the controllers, there would be no legal issue with landing there? A flight plan would be a courtesy.

Or does FAOR have its own rules?

Edit: I see this is being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=223174
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Induna » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm

The gyro guys in the Cape had a planned “uitstappie” to FACT some time ago and they landed with ATC instruction. They were not screened before takeoff and they are regarded as small private aircraft. So now where does auntie Pops come from with the idea about being screened to be on the airside (when flying in)?
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
User avatar
ClearBlu
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Closest Airfield: KDPA
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by ClearBlu » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Mustang wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 pm
I have heard that small aircraft are sometimes allowed in the USA to land on taxiways to not interfere with the schedule of big aircraft arriving / departing. Can anybody confirm this?
Absolutely not.
These users liked the author ClearBlu for the post:
Mustang
The psychology of bad decision making is rooted in confidence based on incrementally bad behavior without adverse outcomes
Only
Last nights Garlic 'repeats' itself.
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:24 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Randburg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Only » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 pm

JimmyZ wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:36 am
Mrb13676 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am
It seems that the CAA is targeting only the fact that the aircraft landed at ORT with only a minor mention of the taxiway. Surely this isn’t correct?
Yes, surely landing on the taxiway is the big issue here. From the media statement it seems as if landing an amateur built plane at ORT is the issue. Also why mention the bit about PPL's not being allowed to do commercial ops? How is that relevant to this incident? Or was it determined the PPL pilot charged his friend for the dropoff? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

The CAA is out for blood. I just hope that general aviation doesn't end up paying the price.
Probably because he did it as a favor for his friends if the CAA find out the friends paid him something he is in trouble.
User avatar
Captain Gyro
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 am
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Location: Somerset West
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Captain Gyro » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Induna wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm
The gyro guys in the Cape had a planned “uitstappie” to FACT some time ago and they landed with ATC instruction.
That was us. I lead the formation into FACT. Was great for the guys that had never flown into a large airport before. Gave all the guys a copy of the taxi chart so they didn't get lost after landing!
DSC_7197 edit (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Captain Gyro for the post (total 2):
DragonInduna
User avatar
Dragon
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 pm
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Location: In the Sky - Western Cape
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Dragon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Unfortunately the problem here is that this has seen far too much press for its own good, and now the CAA is most likely feeling international pressure to reassure ICAO and IATA and EASA and every other acronym you can think of, that our airspace is not a circus and is indeed safe to operate airliners full of passengers in and out of. Unfortunately with the grace of a swan.
User avatar
ClearBlu
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Closest Airfield: KDPA
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by ClearBlu » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Captain Gyro wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Induna wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm
The gyro guys in the Cape had a planned “uitstappie” to FACT some time ago and they landed with ATC instruction.
That was us. I lead the formation into FACT. Was great for the guys that had never flown into a large airport before. Gave all the guys a copy of the taxi chart so they didn't get lost after landing!
I bet Mad Dog still got lost :lol:
The psychology of bad decision making is rooted in confidence based on incrementally bad behavior without adverse outcomes
User avatar
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am
Closest Airfield: FASD
Location: Port Owen - Western Cape
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: RV landing on ORT TWY A..... dodge a Bus

Unread post by Induna » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:47 am

Captain Gyro wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Induna wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 pm
The gyro guys in the Cape had a planned “uitstappie” to FACT some time ago and they landed with ATC instruction.
That was us. I lead the formation into FACT. Was great for the guys that had never flown into a large airport before. Gave all the guys a copy of the taxi chart so they didn't get lost after landing!DSC_7197 edit (3).jpg
I followed that thread on Microlighters. When you do it again I want to join for sure!! =D>
These users liked the author Induna for the post:
Captain Gyro
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”