Draco down

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5826
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:15 am
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Location: On perpetual standby somewhere in Oregon
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am

Anybody thought about what effect the soft tundra tyres would have on the takeoff roll - especially the right one that was carrying a lot of the load? :D
BTW: the standard 2000's crosswind component is 15 knots - my hangar neighbor has one. Stall speed is not that impressive either - 48KIAS.
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
User avatar
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2252
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:14 pm
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH
Location: Hong Kong
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Wingnutter » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 am

Mike Wissing wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am
BTW: the standard 2000's crosswind component is 15 knots - my hangar neighbor has one. Stall speed is not that impressive either - 48KIAS.
Draco was anything but standard - wing chord was substantially increased amongst other STOL mods.
These users liked the author Wingnutter for the post:
R 22
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 16009
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 395 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:54 am

How do the gross and empty weights compare between Draco and the 2000?

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
User avatar
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5826
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:15 am
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Location: On perpetual standby somewhere in Oregon
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 am

Wingnutter wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 am
Mike Wissing wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am
BTW: the standard 2000's crosswind component is 15 knots - my hangar neighbor has one. Stall speed is not that impressive either - 48KIAS.
Draco was anything but standard - wing chord was substantially increased amongst other STOL mods.
I'm very familiar with Draco!
Do you think those modes increased or decreased the x-wind capabilities?
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 16009
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 395 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50 am

Mike Wissing wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 am
Wingnutter wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 am
Mike Wissing wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 am
BTW: the standard 2000's crosswind component is 15 knots - my hangar neighbor has one. Stall speed is not that impressive either - 48KIAS.
Draco was anything but standard - wing chord was substantially increased amongst other STOL mods.
I'm very familiar with Draco!
Do you think those modes increased or decreased the x-wind capabilities?
Mike, it seems to stand a lot taller. That alone will make it less happy in a crosswind.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
User avatar
Mike Wissing
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5826
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:15 am
Closest Airfield: KBDN
Location: On perpetual standby somewhere in Oregon
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Mike Wissing » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 am

jimdavis wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:54 am
How do the gross and empty weights compare between Draco and the 2000?

jim
Draco - 2400/4000
Wilga 2000 - 1980/3300lbs

A lot of info on Draco here:

He says the fuel burn on an IO- 540 is 28 gph..... :shock:
He says his turbine burns the same as the piston. Bull dangle!
He added 16" to the gear legs.
Last edited by Ugly Duckling on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embed the YouTube link
Mike Wissing
C.A.P. Search and Rescue Mission Pilot - SAR Check Pilot.
Professional RV builder and company test pilot
I can't wait for computer keyboards to come out with a breathalyzer..........
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 16009
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 395 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 am

Mike Wissing wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:54 am
jimdavis wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:54 am
How do the gross and empty weights compare between Draco and the 2000?

jim
Draco - 2400/4000
Wilga 2000 - 1980/3300lbs

A lot of info on Draco here:

He says the fuel burn on an IO- 540 is 28 gph..... :shock:
He says his turbine burns the same as the piston. Bull dangle!
He added 16" to the gear legs.
Thanks Mike. So it's a lot taller and more likely to be blown over - which is pretty much what happened.

jim
Last edited by jimdavis on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
User avatar
Broadbandboer
ATC Delay
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm
Closest Airfield: FASC
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Broadbandboer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am

It seems that he is rebuilding...

Nico van der Linde
ZS-ETT C182
User avatar
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by Deanw » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Broadbandboer wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am
It seems that he is rebuilding...
See https://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224281
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:36 pm
Closest Airfield: FAEL
Location: South Africa
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Draco down

Unread post by homebuilt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Surely by lifting the front gear and in its present stance, the high engine would further restrict the airflow over the front cowl that goes past under the lee side wing further decaying lift on that wing. In actual fact I am surprised that any air at all goes over the front of the fuse and then under the far side wing. All the lift in that strong a cross-wind will collect under the near side wing and almost none at all under the far side especially with almost no forward speed.

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”