Crash at Plett airport (SF25 on 2 Dec 2019)

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 714 times
Been liked: 858 times

Re: Crash at Plett airport (SF25 on 2 Dec 2019)

Unread post by jimdavis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 pm

I have just heard the following, although I cannot guarantee it is accurate:

1. Stu was apparently in the right hand seat - which could indicate it was a training flight - although this is not necessarily so.

2. He would often do glide approaches with the engine switched off, starting from about 2000' above the airfield. This is a perfectly normal procedure in that type of aircraft. I see nothing dangerous or reckless about it, and the handbook does not prohibit it. I would often do the same in my Grob.

3. That violent gust-front came through at that time, with no warning of any sort. Observers say that on the approach the aircraft was almost stationary. It seemed to stall fairly close to the ground.

If the above it correct, I think most pilots would have been caught out by it. I know that I would. I am afraid Stu was the victim of extreme bad luck - he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. There but for the grace of god, go I.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 3):
SkyboyDragonPJL
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Crash at Plett airport.

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Richard Smit wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 pm
First time I’ve seen that...any idea why it’s so?
Hop
Not sure what you’re asking Hop?
I’m asking why would a circuit be mandated North of the field rather than over the coast? Perhaps to avoid traffic transiting coastwise?
Hop
These users liked the author Hop Harrigan for the post:
ApolloXH
There is no gravity...the Earth sucks
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 255 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03 pm
Richard Smit wrote:
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Hop
I’m asking why would a circuit be mandated North of the field rather than over the coast? Perhaps to avoid traffic transiting coastwise?
Hop
agreed upon "noise abatement" for the "sleepy retired" residents ??
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Romeo E.T. wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:04 pm
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Richard Smit wrote:

Hop
agreed upon "noise abatement" for the "sleepy retired" residents ??
I think it's the wrong way round for that Schultzie. The circuits are over SRR rather than over the coast.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:41 pm

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 pm
I have just heard the following, although I cannot guarantee it is accurate:

1. Stu was apparently in the right hand seat - which could indicate it was a training flight - although this is not necessarily so.

2. He would often do glide approaches with the engine switched off, starting from about 2000' above the airfield. This is a perfectly normal procedure in that type of aircraft. I see nothing dangerous or reckless about it, and the handbook does not prohibit it. I would often do the same in my Grob.

3. That violent gust-front came through at that time, with no warning of any sort. Observers say that on the approach the aircraft was almost stationary. It seemed to stall fairly close to the ground.

If the above it correct, I think most pilots would have been caught out by it. I know that I would. I am afraid Stu was the victim of extreme bad luck - he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. There but for the grace of god, go I.

jim
These violent gust fronts in Plet seem to be becoming a more frequent phenomena. In September one ripped through the area. With no warning, other than noise as it approached, a gust of around 100kmh (my estimate) suddenly arrived. Ripped my garage door off it’s hinges and did damage all over town as evidenced by the guys in the hardware store buying items to carry out repairs. It probably lasted no more than 30 seconds and calm returned. My meteorologist friend showed me a very high pressure gradient on the charts arriving from the West that probably explained it.
If that thing hit you from any direction on the approach, in a light wing-loaded glider, I doubt anyone could have held onto it.
Hop
These users liked the author Hop Harrigan for the post (total 2):
MouserGandolf
excolonial
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by excolonial » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Interesting Hop, I wonder if the frequency and severity or increasing, or merely the reporting and experiencing of it is due to increased population spread?

The BBC cloud lab came to the conclusion that the significant reduction of particulates in the atmosphere above parts of the US meant that storms were increasing in severity due to the decrease in condensation nuclei. Contrary to what they were expecting. At least that's what I remember from watching their cloud lab documentary

I will watch again later.
Last edited by Ugly Duckling on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embed the YouTube link
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Hop Harrigan
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Hop Harrigan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Interesting....
Hop
homebuilt
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAEL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by homebuilt » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:24 pm

There have been some very interesting goings on in the northern Indian ocean of late too. I have a photo of five mini cyclones about three weeks ago now that formed one big cyclone (name beginning with an A as in first of season). I believe that this cyclone which petered out in the lower Mozambique channel was responsible for all the rain in Uppington, Pretoria and parts of Durban a week or two ago. We here in East London have been feeling the effect with bad winds day after day (I am a sailor too) and although it is the time for seasonal predominant easterly winds, we have been blasted with them and had cooler weather than expected. Seasons and weather patterns are definately changing at an alarming rate.
rare bird
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 189 times

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:37 am

"twin pair" cyclones Belna 1 & 2 were part of the reason behind the additional moisture leading up to the Centurion flooding. There is often symmetry between N and S hemispheres - ref to the Meteosat picture (this was already building up a day or so before the flooding)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IKTAV
Changing Underwear
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 128 times

Unread post by IKTAV » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Hop Harrigan wrote:
Richard Smit wrote:
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Hop
Hop
It’s most probably because the instrument approach is a left pattern.
In most cases the visual pattern is then made to the opposite side. To prevent the possibility of the instrument traffic breaking out below the clouds on the outbound leg, straight into the visual pattern.
That’s the reason a standard Instrument holding pattern is to the right while the standard visual is to the left. Obviously depends on local circumstances. In Plett’s case it needed to be the opposite.
Last edited by IKTAV on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users liked the author IKTAV for the post (total 3):
jimdavisDragonSlick
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by jimdavis » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:47 pm

IKTAV wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:28 pm
Hop Harrigan wrote:
Richard Smit wrote:

Hop
It’s most probably because the instrument approach is a left pattern.
In most cases the visual pattern is then made to the opposite side.
To prevent the possibility of the instrument traffic breaking out below the clouds into the visual pattern.
That’s the reason a standard Instrument holding pattern is to the right while the standard visual is to the left.
Thanks Wally. I never knew that. :D

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”