Drone Strike at FAGM

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

2000andmore
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Drone Strike at FAGM

Unread post by 2000andmore » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:07 am

340 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am
How does a bird create marks like these? Looks like a drone strike to me.
Those appear to be pulled rivets on the wing rib.
Gavin Lundie
maxim
Taxiing
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by maxim » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:39 am

That looks more like bird damage, I had similar damage after a bird strike in Zim a few years ago.
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 306 times

Unread post by richard C » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am

Maybe the pilot caught sight of the drone ? There would be no reason he would assume it was a drone without having seen it - like 95 % of other pilots, he would have no doubt assumed he hit a bird.

Definitely not a pole.
These users liked the author richard C for the post:
Flyman
Grant all equity and dignity
Richard Cook Consulting Architects (Pty) Ltd
Danie54
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Swellendam
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Danie54 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Drones being flown for security purposes (ie commercially operated) may not fly within 10km of an active airfield so I highly doubt they would do that and risk losing their ROC.

You can get permission to fly within 10km of an airfield.
Goffel
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 131 times

Unread post by Goffel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm

That definitely is not from a drone....in fact to me, it looks more like hanger rash with someone using a "drone story" to get out of the dwang.

Goffel.
These users liked the author Goffel for the post (total 5):
Rotor kopIndunaWindsockSkinny PaulJvTonder
JacoS
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FQMA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by JacoS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:12 pm

340 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am
How does a bird create marks like these? Looks like a drone strike to me.
Those are rivets.

Edit: I see 2000 beat me to it.
Firewall: (n) Section of an aircraft specifically designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
(v) The act of pulling 50 inches of manifold pressure out of an engine designed to handle 32 inches.
Airlou
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAFB
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Airlou » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:33 pm

No Blood No Guts - No Bird
It seems like blunt and sharp edges marks and dents
Looks like tipped over scaffolding to me...
These users liked the author Airlou for the post (total 2):
Rotor kopVcrit
daveross
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Paradise Beach
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by daveross » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:37 pm

I am not a Rocket Scientist, agree with Goffel, hit some stationary object !
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by richard C » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:08 pm

daveross wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:37 pm
I am not a Rocket Scientist, agree with Goffel, hit some stationary object !
Okay, I'll bite.

You are effectively accusing the pilot of a criminal offense (fraud - lying about the cause of an accident), so it is a serious thing to say - and indeed, a strong thing to say.

Do you have information that we don't - do you know the pilot and he has a history of dissembling in order avoid responsibility ?

Have you seen the aircraft first-hand, and clearly it is damage that does not fit with the story ?

Or are you making a presumption from the same photo I am, but are able to see that this is damage caused by a ground based incident, and unlikely to be a drone ?

What motivates you to insist that the pilot is lying ? Just seems like an excessively harsh assertion if you have no more information than we do. On Avcom, a pilots forum, do we not start by giving the pilot the benefit of the doubt - or is it a place where we can nudge each other under the train ? Based on what, exactly ? And failing that, why ?
These users liked the author richard C for the post (total 7):
DobbsFlymanScrapyard DogRotor kopLeon BSpookyFree State Flyer
nomie
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by nomie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Huh. Nowhere in the thread was it claimed the pilot said the plane was hit by a drone?
These users liked the author nomie for the post:
Goffel
JacoS
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FQMA
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by JacoS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Airlou wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:33 pm
No Blood No Guts - No Bird
It seems like blunt and sharp edges marks and dents
Looks like tipped over scaffolding to me...
Looks like that part was cleaned off. Look at the rest of the leading edge compared to the dented part.
Firewall: (n) Section of an aircraft specifically designed to let heat and smoke enter the cockpit.
(v) The act of pulling 50 inches of manifold pressure out of an engine designed to handle 32 inches.
Goffel
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 131 times

Unread post by Goffel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Richard C.....Your horse is a bit high......At all times, (OK most times), most people speculate, whether an aircraft has run out of fuel to spinning in...are we insinuating the pilot criminally flew without fuel....nope...speculation.

Now the pilot that hit the drone, he obviously made this claim on Avcom....(I just cant find the post where he says that...can you).

The person that speculated that the pilot could have hit a bird, is he too calling the pilot a "liar..fraud" or anything else...nope, he is speculating.

My speculation that the damage looks like hanger rash...a pole maybe.... the hanger door.....(I suppose confession time at the same time as speculation time......To the PMB safety officer that I too said I hit a bird in the C172, (creating a very similar looking damage)...well truth be told....i hit the hanger door whilst pushing the aircraft out the hanger.....(42 years ago).

So I suppose i do have some experience in that department.......by the way, i do have a video of a phantom going thru a safety glass window...

So yip....until the pilot puts pen to paper in a "certified" statement....me and others will speculate.

Goffel....(the hanger boy).
These users liked the author Goffel for the post:
Flyman
Raffles
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: DFFD
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Raffles » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Surely the report should be published on the CAA website, if it was claimed this was a collision with a drone, it falls into the accident category given the damage and risk to life? Obviously a preliminary report has a 30 day window in which to be published. Then we can see what claims the pilot made.
Ralph M Wigzell.
My Dave Clarks cost me R200 when 1 ZAR = 1 USD
Hindsight is what you see from the tailgunner position.
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread post by richard C » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:02 am

Goffel wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 pm
Richard C.....Your horse is a bit high......At all times, (OK most times), most people speculate, whether an aircraft has run out of fuel to spinning in...are we insinuating the pilot criminally flew without fuel....nope...speculation.

Now the pilot that hit the drone, he obviously made this claim on Avcom....(I just cant find the post where he says that...can you).

The person that speculated that the pilot could have hit a bird, is he too calling the pilot a "liar..fraud" or anything else...nope, he is speculating.

My speculation that the damage looks like hanger rash...a pole maybe.... the hanger door.....(I suppose confession time at the same time as speculation time......To the PMB safety officer that I too said I hit a bird in the C172, (creating a very similar looking damage)...well truth be told....i hit the hanger door whilst pushing the aircraft out the hanger.....(42 years ago).

So I suppose i do have some experience in that department.......by the way, i do have a video of a phantom going thru a safety glass window...

So yip....until the pilot puts pen to paper in a "certified" statement....me and others will speculate.

Goffel....(the hanger boy).
The title of the thread is "Drone Strike at FAGM", so I assume that is how the event was reported to the person who posted the thread.

Okay, so following your logic:

If he knew he hit a bird he would not have to cover his tracks - he would have just said so.

If he dinged the aircraft putting it back in the hanger - ummm - would it occur to him to say it was a drone strike ? Why not a bird strike ? Calling it a drone strike is going to lead to some intensive investigation - seems like a precarious path of deceit to undertake. In fact, it seems like a highly UNLIKELY path of deceit to go after.

Also, dinging a hanger door is likely to attract witnesses, and possibly. security camera footage.

So far, there is no logical reason for the pilot to lie, or chose the lie he did.

If he hit something in the air without knowing what it was - he would have said that he had a strike - unidentified. He would not have been specific about a fact he could not be specific about. I am not excluding the possibility that he lied, I am saying it is a highly unsuitable and risky lie to chose, if he did.

Speculation I get - there is a possibility he lied, and that can be 'put on the table'. But speculation is normally formulated by some path or event or history that would merit it - so again - do you guys know something we don't ?

*dismounts horse*
These users liked the author richard C for the post:
kudu177
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 319 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:30 am

.....why I go bird strike, excuse the "art" da Vinci insist on this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”