Woman dies on BA flight from CT to Jhb

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 279 times

Woman dies on BA flight from CT to Jhb

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 am

Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Woman dies on BA flight from CT to Jhb

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm sure something was lost in translation. Surely this poor person was alive when they boarded the plane.
So the police should not be trying to determine when she died, but rather why.

This sort of thing happens all the time - look at the number of flights and the number of people flying and statistics say it will happen - not quite sure why it made the news.
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
deanvdm
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by deanvdm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm

The time of death is relevant to a whole lot of legal processes such as finalising estates, insurance etc. here the inquest refers more to the legal aspects of death and less to the biological/pathological aspects of death.

When a person dies, the person needs to (ideally) be legally certified as having passed away - this needs to be done by medical professional (e.g. a paramedic of a certain level/doctor). Even if the person is clearly passed away the paperwork should still be completed so that there are no legal complications later on (e.g. with insurance). There are clinical tests and guidelines that the medical professional will use when declaring a person as being deceased (and since this medical professional is not a pathologist the medical professional only states the clinical parameters that were detected and the time - the causes are left to a pathologist).

In this context inquest here essentially refers to the legal process that is followed to (legally) determine the time of death and whether it was due to natural / unnatural causes. The time the person has been certified by a medical professional as having passed away is usually the "default" time of death but an inquest could come to a different conclusion for a whole lot of reasons. Legally a person can be declared deceased without a death certificate but it is fraught with all kinds of issues and delays. e.g. it can cause significant legal issues when there is no death declaration e.g. when a person disappears or his/her body cannot be traced/found or no remains can be found in an accident/fire/crash etc. The "biological" time of death (or the best estimate of the time of death) can be significantly different to the "legal" time as the legal process is driven by evidence and certainty and not probability and likelihood.

BTW Apart from the time of death, the place of death can also become a legal issue (e.g. jurisdiction), especially when it happens in the air between countries or over international water.
dr727
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by dr727 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 am

BTW Apart from the time of death, the place of death can also become a legal issue (e.g. jurisdiction), especially when it happens in the air between countries or over international water

With reference to tbe above (jurisdiction over international waters and in respect of aircraft engaged in international flights even whilst on the ground) wouldn't this be determined by the nationality of the carrier?
johannieuw
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Zwartkops AFB
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by johannieuw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Death on a commercial flight is awkward. In 2013 on flight SQ478 from SIN to JNB about 6 hours in the flight, the cabin crew chief woke up my wife to request her assistance to a pax on the flight. Although her title on the manifest was Dr. she is not a medical doctor and with sad gestures he apologised for the interruption.
After landing at ORTIA and during disembarking, we walked passed an elderly Indian lady sitting sadly next to a blanket covered body of her husband who died on the flight.
bromster
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by bromster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 pm

She was old. In her 80s I think. Cabin crew was advised that she was unconscious about 10 minutes prior to landing. Resuscitation and defib were unsuccessful.

Shame 😞
These users liked the author bromster for the post:
CorpAero
farmpilot
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 0

Unread post by farmpilot » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 am

bromster wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 pm
She was old. In her 80s I think. Cabin crew was advised that she was unconscious about 10 minutes prior to landing. Resuscitation and defib were unsuccessful.

Shame 😞
Do they even have defib on internal flights?
These users liked the author farmpilot for the post:
rjalexander
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 103 times

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 am

Believe BA had another passenger pass away on a flight the week earlier as well. :(
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
bromster
Taxiing to Clubhouse

Unread post by bromster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:56 pm

farmpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 am
bromster wrote:

Shame 😞
Yes
farmpilot
Incipient Spin

Unread post by farmpilot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:49 pm

bromster wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:56 pm
farmpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 am
bromster wrote:

Shame 😞
Yes
Do they contract with Medlink or is it up to the crew how they deal with medical emergencies?
bromster
Taxiing to Clubhouse

Unread post by bromster » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:53 pm

I'm not entirely sure about this. Medical emergencies in the air get relayed to ATC along with age, details of emergency etc.

ATC then advises the Chief at the Fire Station, and after that I think ACSA handles everything. I'm not sure how the billing would work.
farmpilot
Incipient Spin

Unread post by farmpilot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 am

bromster wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:53 pm
I'm not entirely sure about this. Medical emergencies in the air get relayed to ATC along with age, details of emergency etc.

ATC then advises the Chief at the Fire Station, and after that I think ACSA handles everything. I'm not sure how the billing would work.
Thanks Bromster

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”