Sling IFR

The Airplane Factory, manufacturers of the Sling aircraft, a practical and desirable light sport aircraft (LSA)

Moderator: Moderators

ace505
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 0

Sling IFR

Unread post by ace505 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Just a question to the sling owners, are sling’s certified for IM conditions?
grounded
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Sling IFR

Unread post by grounded » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Not that I am aware of

Can an/any NTCA be "certified" for IFR ?
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 295 times

Unread post by heisan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:33 pm

NTCA can be approved for IFR. The RTW Slings were all IFR approved.

I am not sure if the standard instrumentation will be sufficient though - but if it is not, it can be upgraded/replaced where necessary.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
SlingPilot
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: KJFK
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by SlingPilot » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm

ace505 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:52 pm
I believe, if built E-AB and properly equipt’d, here in the States it can be.
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 145 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 pm

From my reading of the regs there is no reason why a Sling should not be able to be IFR certified. It comes back to the usual discussion about whether certified equipment is required or not.

I would speak to Sean or Andrew at the Airplane Factory. Last I heard, they were trying to get ZU-TSi IFR certified - IIRC it has a certified 650 on board in addition to dual G3x screens and a G5.

I’d like to get mine certified too so was waiting to see if they manage. Depending on how old yours is, you may well need to add equipment. For mine with the MGL iEFIS, I’d need to get a second Comm radio and a set of Nav radios. +/- certified GPS - looks like an expensive proposition especially since a TCA without a certified GPS can be flown IF....
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm

SlingPilot wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm
ace505 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:52 pm
I believe, if built E-AB and properly equipt’d, here in the States it can be.
It seems like most of the US Slings are IF certified - most seem to have significantly better equipped panels than the local examples.... It would be a fantastic IF platform - very stable and forgiving
Mike Blackburn
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 135 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:41 pm

I think one just needs to be mindful of the IMC conditions the aircraft will be permitted to operate in, the aircraft can gain authority to operate in the IFR environment which may well be VMC but be limited to IMC operations as such flight into known icing will be prohibited.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
AndreRV
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by AndreRV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 pm
From my reading of the regs there is no reason why a Sling should not be able to be IFR certified. It comes back to the usual discussion about whether certified equipment is required or not.

I would speak to Sean or Andrew at the Airplane Factory. Last I heard, they were trying to get ZU-TSi IFR certified - IIRC it has a certified 650 on board in addition to dual G3x screens and a G5.

I’d like to get mine certified too so was waiting to see if they manage. Depending on how old yours is, you may well need to add equipment. For mine with the MGL iEFIS, I’d need to get a second Comm radio and a set of Nav radios. +/- certified GPS - looks like an expensive proposition especially since a TCA without a certified GPS can be flown IF....
My RV10 ATF allows for IMC. I have 2 G3x, G5 and Nav radios on board. Did not install GTN at all. CAA were not that interested in the equipment when they did the inspections. I did however have the paper work confirming equipment on board and suitability for IMC. It is also production build.
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am

AndreRV wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am
Mrb13676 wrote:

My RV10 ATF allows for IMC. I have 2 G3x, G5 and Nav radios on board. Did not install GTN at all. CAA were not that interested in the equipment when they did the inspections. I did however have the paper work confirming equipment on board and suitability for IMC. It is also production build.
Thanks Andre - this is helpful - the source for the GPS, is it certified though? I presume that the G3x gets its GPS from somewhere. Is the G3x a certified version? The G5?
I think the easiest route for me would be a G3x, and a G5. Can you do RNAV approaches with your setup? How many Nav radios?
Mike Blackburn
AndreRV
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by AndreRV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:55 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am
AndreRV wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am
Mrb13676 wrote:

Thanks Andre - this is helpful - the source for the GPS, is it certified though? I presume that the G3x gets its GPS from somewhere. Is the G3x a certified version? The G5?
I think the easiest route for me would be a G3x, and a G5. Can you do RNAV approaches with your setup? How many Nav radios?
I am not the expert on this to give you all the answers but from my understanding the following : The G3x is not certified, using the G3x own GPS but you can select source for a different GPS of the G3x. I have 1 com radio and 1 com/nav radio, a garmin GNC255. The experts can give there opinion but I would think for RNAV approaches you would need to spend the extra money and add a Garmin GTN650 or something similar, which works with the G3X.

I Total my basic G3x works beatifully and are very happy
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 176 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:24 pm

....Mike, just call Signa aviation in Windhoek and talk to Francoise, their a/c (Slings) are all certified.
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
Mrb13676
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 164 times

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:38 pm

heisan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:33 pm
NTCA can be approved for IFR. The RTW Slings were all IFR approved.

I am not sure if the standard instrumentation will be sufficient though - but if it is not, it can be upgraded/replaced where necessary.
Can one do CPL IF hours in a IFR Sling or RV10..?

Return to “Sling”