The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

RNAV, GNSS, GPSS. Your place to discuss all aspects pertaining to Instrument Flying.

Moderator: Moderators

johnsonCJ
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: fala
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The New Instrument Rating Syllabus

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am

I used ICAO 8168 to study procedure. I also read a book called Understanding the Jeppesen as well as Avex and CFA notes.
Jeppesen and Avex for Met and Principals of flight. And just Avex for the other subjects (ATG, instruments, radios, FP, HP and Law) There don't seem to be any Nav questions in the IR exam.
LOTS of Questionbank and Pilotexams for the questions. I'd say I put 70% of my studying into practising mock exams.

Dude, 7 weeks is crazy!! Have you tried phoning or emailing them to find out what's taking so long?
PTAPILOT
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by PTAPILOT » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:09 am

johnsonCJ wrote:Dude, 7 weeks is crazy!! Have you tried phoning or emailing them to find out what's taking so long?
Yep.... Been bugging theme every week... Seems like we got some action on the matter yesterday, and hopefully I will have results soon.... =D>
johnsonCJ
Taxiing

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:29 am

PTAPILOT wrote:
johnsonCJ wrote:Dude, 7 weeks is crazy!! Have you tried phoning or emailing them to find out what's taking so long?
Yep.... Been bugging theme every week... Seems like we got some action on the matter yesterday, and hopefully I will have results soon.... =D>
Let us know what happens!
vhon
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: george

Unread post by vhon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 am

I recently had the privilege in obtained my ME IR CPL with this new syllabus . I wrote all my exams in Mossel Bay so I only have experience with the written test but people say they are more difficult . wrote procedures first time December and got 73...studied the whole month for procedures and general radio for the December sitting.re-wrote procedures in February and I got 87 with some extra studying and used the notes I made for the studying for the first try.

The advice I can offer you is to study very hard...every day at least 6-8 hours for at least a month in advance for the test and DONT try to pass by just doing thousands of questions on jepp or anything it doesn't work . The questions are still important so you need to do them still but read through your theory , understand the reasoning behind all the questions , I recommend exam11 and pilot exams because they have good questions but most importantly they give you the books with the theory. The subjects that I concentrated on is Meteorology , Instruments and the procedures part . Subjects like HP and flight planning isn't as important , read through the syllabus layout CAA gives you , I studied every single thing on that list . Read through DOC8168 , ENRs in the AIPs and the FAA instrument flying handbook you can get on the internet is also useful and CAA recommends it as study material as well . You must know South African weather very...very well . When you study keep in mind what aspects is important to instrument flying so take a logical approach when studying so that you don't study unimportant things .

The part where most failures comes from is the CAA's own questions they make up . If you studied like above mentioned understanding the reasoning behind questions the "CAA questions'' will become easier.

Remember when you get a question don't just look at the options...cover the options and read the questions and think at what area of the work they made the question up to first get your mind at the right place then look at the options and eliminate the easy ones and then choose the answer witch makes the most sense in a logical way with the knowledge you have.

good luck and don't get yourself into a rut when looking at those options...the CAA are masters in tricking you by putting two correct answers but the one is more correct than the other.
You can have the talent or the tools , but if you are not willing to learn or work hard that talent is wasted .
supafly
Fuelling up

Unread post by supafly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 am

Hi Vhon,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Please advise where one can get "Exam 11" notes and tests ? Can't seem to find it via search ?

Thanks.
Blue Skies...
jameSpeirs
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am

supafly wrote:Hi Vhon,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Please advise where one can get "Exam 11" notes and tests ? Can't seem to find it via search ?

Thanks.
Hi Supafly

The cheapest place I found was https://friebe.aero/Pilot-Training/EXAM ... -card.html. It takes about a day to process and exam 11 will send you a email with your code, The shops in south Africa charge in excess of R3000 for the exact same product.

James
roadrunner
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: aviatorsparadise
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by roadrunner » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Bit of topic.If you did youre comm if rating before the regulations were changed and youre if rating is not renewed yearly then after three years you would have to write this ir exam ?.
Captain.huzaifa
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Captain.huzaifa » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:04 am

Hi guys
I have been studying for the IFR exam for quite some time now...
I have been using jeppesen notes as well as CATS AND CARS and understanding the jeppesen and some CFA notes & ICAO 8168
I have been using exam 11 for practice for mock exams

can anyone suggest any other question bank for mock exams as well for practice purposes in which you guys found good
I have heard of Pilot exam,Is it good?
How about question bank and aviation exam?

I am looking at buying either one of those 3
Please suggest which you think is best at this point in time

Any feedback will be appreciated

Thanks
Captain.huzaifa
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Captain.huzaifa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi guys
I have currently got exam 11 and my subscription is valid for 10 months still
I only used it for 2months as it was valid for a year
I am willing to let it go at R1000
Please private message me if interested on Avcom or on what's app on 083 561 1310

Thanks
matt8
Priming
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by matt8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:20 pm

It seems CAA is falling in line with EASA standards and methods. Apparently a lot of questions are straight out of their database.
With that in mind, has anyone used this site for practice questions: http://www.rtfq.org/
It's linked to in the EASA ATPL Heli study book, and I see there's a SA IR section.
(and it's free!)

I haven't written our IR exam having done these questions, so I don't know how accurate they are.
They seem similar in their style of questions, so it should help you prepare more.

Hope this helps someone!
jameSpeirs
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by jameSpeirs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm

jameSpeirs wrote:
jameSpeirs wrote:
Wrote for the second time today and got 70% :? What books/websites for procedures have people that have passed studied from?

James
Third time round and only managed 72%. So frustrating. #-o I got a lot of HP questions (10ish) this time round and only about 12 questions on procedures and and one AWOPs question. Quite strange for a Procedures exam.

James
stefanlfouche
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: Arusha
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by stefanlfouche » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I wrote the IR exam yesterday after 8 weeks of intense studying. Ive been studying all the relevant material set out by the CAA Syllabus for the exam. However I have noticed that alot of the questions in the exam doesnt form part of Instrument flying. Ive studied the Doc 8168 intensively and had few questions from the book. One Holding question and One speed question.
The content is so vast that you will never be able to study everything. Feels like the CAA is trying to make the exam especially difficult on purpose. The questions are riddled. No straight forward questions. within the first 50 questions out of a 100, you start feeling fatigued due to the fact that you have to spend all your energy solving the riddle of the questions that they are asking.
Personally I think that the Exam should be Revised. The only way to pass the exam is if the questions fall right, and thats all down to being lucky.

Third time lucky I hope
We are limited only by the size of our imagination
frosty
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by frosty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Anyone attempted this lately with positive results?
johnsonCJ
Taxiing

Unread post by johnsonCJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 am

I finally got my remark result back. Unsuccessful.

I guess I'll be doing a VFR CPL like everyone else until the day I get lucky.
stefanlfouche
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: Arusha
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by stefanlfouche » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am

johnsonCJ wrote:I finally got my remark result back. Unsuccessful.

I guess I'll be doing a VFR CPL like everyone else until the day I get lucky.
Im writing the exam on Thursday again. Wrote two weeks ago after 8 weeks of studying and got 64%.
Last attempt now so if I fail I would probably do VFR and go do my conversion in the states or UK where its actually possible to pass exams. Thats where we gonna find jobs anyway so might as well do it. :D :D :D

Positive Thoughts
We are limited only by the size of our imagination

Return to “Instrument Flying”