B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9199
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Location: JHB INTL/Kpt Park/Rand Apt
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 283 times

B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 pm

https://www.airlive.net/alert-swift-air ... tabilizer/

Check the damaged horizontal stab where portions of the vertical stab struck it

And according to reports the crew were not even aware of it !

Image
These users liked the author Romeo E.T. for the post:
Raffles
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9199
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Location: JHB INTL/Kpt Park/Rand Apt
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 283 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm

sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
User avatar
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:34 am
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 117 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by Snitch » Thu May 21, 2020 11:57 pm

On the ground
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dr727
Rolling
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 am
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Location: Nelspruit
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by dr727 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 am

Accident: iAero B738 enroute on May 19th 2020, dropped parts of vertical tail
By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, May 21st 2020 20:21Z, last updated Thursday, May 21st 2020 20:26Z

An iAero Boeing 737-800, registration N820TJ performing flight WQ-3518 from Victorville,CA to San Diego,CA (USA), departed Victorville's runway 17 and completed the seemingly uneventful flight with a safe landing on San Diego's runway 27 about 41 minutes after departure. Following landing it was discovered parts had come off the vertical tail's leading edge as well as left side in flight.

The aircraft is still on the ground in San Diego about 45 hours after landing.
User avatar
GL
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10154
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by GL » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am

I guess somebody forget to put the fasteners in post maintenance - and then it wasn't checked. Shades of the ATR anti icing boots and leading edges?
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
User avatar
HAAN
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6115
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OMDB
Location: ..
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 100 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by HAAN » Fri May 22, 2020 12:16 pm

It can also be as a result of a birdstrike or metal fatigue but yes maintenence always comes first to mind. Luckily the dorsalfin thats missing would not be a big issue as its more for stability of an aircraft during a engine failure during take-off. (Making the tail area bigger for control rather extended it taller) Im more worried about the piece that broke off and hit the leading elevators, could have jammed or damaged it severely. Other than that the crew probably would not even have noticed it on such a short sector.
User avatar
ddevos
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:27 pm
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Location: Vanderbijlpark
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 178 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by ddevos » Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 pm

I was just wondering, seeing that Victorville is home to a major logistics facility, what are the chances of someone being busy removing the dorsal fin from the wrong aircraft?
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
trees
Left downwind (unmanned)
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm
Closest Airfield: eggw
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by trees » Fri May 22, 2020 1:39 pm

That was my thought as well. But I dint think so, the aircraft was only on the ground in VCV for an hour.
User avatar
Christopher
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4266
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Gloucester (The Perfect Storm), Mass.
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by Christopher » Fri May 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Quote: <<N820TJ Boeing 737-8Q8 operating as Swift Air/iAero Airways SWQ3518 landing KSAN runway 27 on 19 May 2020. I would have discarded this photo except for the tail. Evidently it is airworthy. #avgeek #planespotting>>

Fly-able: yes; but...airworthy? I don't think so!
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
User avatar
wingnutzster
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:25 am
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Sandton
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by wingnutzster » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm

GL wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am
I guess somebody forget to put the fasteners in post maintenance - and then it wasn't checked. Shades of the ATR anti icing boots and leading edges?
Or the Embraer 120 Flight 2574 that crashed due to horizontal stab leading edge departing after being only partially secured with half the fasteners in maintenance? Quite staggering that this still happens although thankfully in modern airliners the most critical parts for sustaining stable flight are not simply screw-fastened 8-[
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
User avatar
wingnutzster
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:25 am
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Sandton
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by wingnutzster » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Looking at the structure, there are at least 9 formers all attached at the roots to the fuselage former stations - surely only one or two were loose forward causing enough stress in flight to cause all 9 attachment points to give way?!
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.28.25.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.32.50.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
biffvj
Changing Underwear
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Closest Airfield: Polokwane Civil
Location: Polokwane
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by biffvj » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Looks like the horizontal leading edge also has some damage, quite a distance from the vertical
RiNCEw1ND
Radio Call
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo International
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by RiNCEw1ND » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm

wingnutzster wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm
Looking at the structure, there are at least 9 formers all attached at the roots to the fuselage former stations - surely only one or two were loose forward causing enough stress in flight to cause all 9 attachment points to give way?!

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.28.25.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.32.50.png
Boeing calls the missing piece forward of the vertical stabilizer the dorsal fin.

The formers of the dorsal fin do not attach to any fuselage structure. The dorsal fin is a separate assembly with a seal at its bottom edge and is bolted to the fuselage from the inside through the upper fuselage structure using 14 bolts.
These users liked the author RiNCEw1ND for the post:
rare bird
User avatar
wingnutzster
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:25 am
Closest Airfield: FALA
Location: Sandton
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:28 pm

RiNCEw1ND wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm
wingnutzster wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm
Looking at the structure, there are at least 9 formers all attached at the roots to the fuselage former stations - surely only one or two were loose forward causing enough stress in flight to cause all 9 attachment points to give way?!

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.28.25.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.32.50.png
Boeing calls the missing piece forward of the vertical stabilizer the dorsal fin.

The formers of the dorsal fin do not attach to any fuselage structure. The dorsal fin is a separate assembly with a seal at its bottom edge and is bolted to the fuselage from the inside through the upper fuselage structure using 14 bolts.
By "attached" I meant bolted/fastened sorry, so there's 14 bolts? My point was how do 14 fastened (attached) points fail at once?
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
RiNCEw1ND
Radio Call
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo International
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: B737-800 looses part of vertical stab

Unread post by RiNCEw1ND » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm

wingnutzster wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:28 pm
RiNCEw1ND wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:53 pm
wingnutzster wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm
Looking at the structure, there are at least 9 formers all attached at the roots to the fuselage former stations - surely only one or two were loose forward causing enough stress in flight to cause all 9 attachment points to give way?!

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.28.25.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-11 at 14.32.50.png
Boeing calls the missing piece forward of the vertical stabilizer the dorsal fin.

The formers of the dorsal fin do not attach to any fuselage structure. The dorsal fin is a separate assembly with a seal at its bottom edge and is bolted to the fuselage from the inside through the upper fuselage structure using 14 bolts.
By "attached" I meant bolted/fastened sorry, so there's 14 bolts? My point was how do 14 fastened (attached) points fail at once?
My guess is the bolts didnt fail :wink:

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”