Moderator: Moderators

Dan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Concorde over Cape Town

Unread post by Dan » Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 am

BMW,in i think '87 or '91 chartered concord to cape town for 3 days,,they came via jhb to pick up some BMW directors as well,,,
"Always Always check the weather"
Jester
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Jester » Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 am

jab2 wrote:From a log of Concorde G-BBDG "26/3/76– 28/3/76 After transiting to Cape Town, eight flights were carried out to research high altitude airport and autoland performance."

I have some promo photos of the A/C and engines that was handed out at a Concorde visit while still in school, so it must have been this visit. A family member was a flightline technical guy for SAA at DF Malan at the time and I remember the aircraft stayed for a few days. If I remember correctly some SAA guys got to fly with on some flights.

Edit: I see the Concorde visited DF Malan in 73 too, but the color scheme of the A/C in Jester's pic differ from static photos of the 73 visit where the A/C had a red line down the side. http://www.airliners.net/photo/British- ... 9b1c0fedc5 This was more likely the visit I remember.
Looking at the development of the Waterfront, it's mid-80's - early 90's. Below is an aerial photo of the Cape Town CBD taken in 1982 that shows no development to speak of at the Waterfront site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maca
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Maca » Mon May 16, 2011 11:56 am

jab2 wrote:From a log of Concorde G-BBDG "26/3/76– 28/3/76 After transiting to Cape Town, eight flights were carried out to research high altitude airport and autoland performance."

I have some promo photos of the A/C and engines that was handed out at a Concorde visit while still in school, so it must have been this visit. A family member was a flightline technical guy for SAA at DF Malan at the time and I remember the aircraft stayed for a few days. If I remember correctly some SAA guys got to fly with on some flights.

Edit: I see the Concorde visited DF Malan in 73 too, but the color scheme of the A/C in Jester's pic differ from static photos of the 73 visit where the A/C had a red line down the side. http://www.airliners.net/photo/British- ... 9b1c0fedc5 This was more likely the visit I remember.
You will find that this Concorde posted by Jester also has a red line down the length of the fuselage, you just can't see it in that photo. In '73 the stripe is much thicker and the tail art is different.

Concorde at Oshkosh in 1985

Any chance of a 100% crop targeting the Concorde Jester?
Unless otherwise stated, all photographs © Fotographika, 2013
Jester
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Jester » Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Maca, the one that Jab2 is referring to was one of the prototypes sent for hot and high testing.

The one in the photo that I posted is in BA livery, as per your photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maca
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Maca » Mon May 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Yeah'know, just posting what livery was being used around '85, so as to date your photo.

Thanks for the crop

:wink:
Big Bucks Bernie
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: Koblenz-Winningen EDRK
Location: Somewhere in the nowhere between Frankfurt and Cologne
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Big Bucks Bernie » Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm

I have some photos of ZS-HXM in that Court Helicopters colour scheme taken by my sister at the V&A Waterfront in 1992 (I just can't find them at the moment...)

Be that as it may, there are some pictures of another BA Concorde (in the newer colour scheme) taken at Cape Town International posted on the "Seen at FACT (Cape Town Intl)" thread (see page 87). The post by 87Juliet in that thread seems to confirm the BMW 3-Series launch, as well as the year having been 1992.
Maca
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Maca » Mon May 16, 2011 3:00 pm

BBB, the photo's from the link seem to be during the year 2000.

from the bottom of the page you linked...
BlackWidow wrote:
EDreyer wrote:BA started repainting their Concordes in the new corporate identity during 1997. Concordes were given the 'Historic Chatam Dockyard Livery' .

It was here from 15 - 19 February 2000 on a flight from Washington via Morocco and Lagos before the fatal crash in France a couple of months later.

The majority of BA & Air France Concordes undertook "celebration" flights to several destinations around the world before they were finally retired from service during 2003.

This particular one retired from service on 10 November 2003 after 23397 flying hours and was moved to the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York. She was temporarily moved to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn from late 2006 to late 2008 whilst the Intrepid aircraft carrier and the pier at which she was berthed underwent restoration.
Elmari is correct. Found this on IOL:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 809B000660 (link not available any more)
Concorde pays Cape Town a flying visit
February 16 2000 at 10:22AM

British Airways supersonic flagship, the Concorde, arrived in Cape Town on Tuesday night on a flight from Washington via Morocco and Lagos.

It will be in Cape Town until Saturday.

Concorde is the only supersonic commercial aircraft in the world. More than 2,5 million passengers have flown in it since its introduction in 1976.

It operates two daily scheduled return flights from London's Heathrow Airport to New York, and once a week from Heathrow to Barbados.

The Concorde also can be chartered, and these flights have taken it to more than 250 destinations.
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 79 times

Unread post by Snitch » Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Bearcat wrote:Interesting debate re this pic..
All I can say is that getting two aircraft in the same pic with a 40 knot difference is difficult ... so if this guy did it with a heli and a potentially supersonic aircraft then hats off to the guy
Aircraft wouldnt be near supersonic and would be flying slowly for publicity shots
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Mon May 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Dan wrote:BMW,in i think '87 or '91 chartered concord to cape town for 3 days,,they came via jhb to pick up some BMW directors as well,,,
It flew between JHB and CPT a few times, with BMW cutomers getting on a few of the trips
Was at Jan Smuts when it landed very late at night after beign delayed a few hours. Was still on the old open air viewing deck, great times
Big Bucks Bernie
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: Koblenz-Winningen EDRK
Location: Somewhere in the nowhere between Frankfurt and Cologne
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Big Bucks Bernie » Mon May 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Maca wrote:BBB, the photo's from the link seem to be during the year 2000.

from the bottom of the page you linked...
I noticed that, hence the (in the newer colour scheme) note in my post above :wink: .

Now when I flew with Court Helicopters in November 1995, they already had adopted a newer version of their/the John Rolfe Surf Rescue colour scheme which looked like this:

and later on in Court Helicopters colours:

Last edited by Big Bucks Bernie on Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Youtube video of BMW E36 launch in Cape Town with Concorde

Christopher
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Christopher » Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 pm

<From a log of Concorde G-BBDG "26/3/76– 28/3/76 After transiting to Cape Town, eight flights were carried out to research high altitude airport and autoland performance.">

Yes, Jab2, I certainly was there to witness Concorde doing its tests at Jan Smuts back then -- as were a number of other folk here, I believe (Watts-san?) <Such> a beautiful aircraft and standing under the nose on the apron was so impressive as your eyes swept across the expanse of those gorgeous wings! It was (is) a <small> aircraft, for all that...
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 1047 times
Been liked: 358 times

Unread post by Ray W » Mon May 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Christopher wrote:<From a log of Concorde G-BBDG "26/3/76– 28/3/76 After transiting to Cape Town, eight flights were carried out to research high altitude airport and autoland performance.">

Yes, Jab2, I certainly was there to witness Concorde doing its tests at Jan Smuts back then -- as were a number of other folk here, I believe (Watts-san?) <Such> a beautiful aircraft and standing under the nose on the apron was so impressive as your eyes swept across the expanse of those gorgeous wings! It was (is) a <small> aircraft, for all that...
I most certainly was there when Concorde 002 (G-BSST) was here for her initial H & H trials. I actually got checked out in the Tower at FAJS on the day she arrived - what an experience that was - we had light aircraft coming in from all over the place. This shot was taken from the tower with a good old Kodak Instamatic. Not the best quality but what the heck. She's parked next to the old fire station and eventually the firemen complained about the noise when she was running up her engines - they couldn't hear the fire alarm. Thereafter they towed her onto the disused Rwy 09 for engine tests.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by bullet » Tue May 17, 2011 6:33 am

So great to see those pics of that beautiful aircraft.Thanks for posting.
Still regret not having had a flight on Concorde...
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by pwnel » Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 am

I believe it's around 1992 roughly. Waterfront apartments is still a tank farm, construction on the Victoria Wharf seems to be near complete. Quay4 clearly visible, as is Bertie's.

P

Return to “Aviation Photography”